PDA

View Full Version : propane grill....gas smell

tom coleman
08-11-2017, 12:41 AM
I recently replaced the gas tank and the regulator/hose on my grill and now smell gas........which is leaking????

Steve Schlumpf
08-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Tom, a little soap and water brushed on any joints should show where the gas is leaking. Look for bubbles.

Mike Cutler
08-11-2017, 7:08 AM
Tom

It sounds like you may have a leak and the tank could be low on gas, or got agitated.
Propane has an odorant mixed into it to allow you to smell a leak.

John K Jordan
08-11-2017, 7:16 AM
Adding two cents to the Steve's soap solution suggestion: If handy, a bottle of kids soap bubble solution works extremely well, optimized for long-lasting bubbles! (I suspect it contains glycerin) I find it works better than any solution I've ever mixed up.

I keep some in a little squirt bottle for leak-checking shop air fittings, propane tanks, and the like. I noticed one of my big fire extinguishers had lost some pressure over 6 months and the bubble solution showed an extremely tiny leak at the tank seal, so small the bubbles made a barely visible ring of foam.

That said, one part liquid dish detergent (such as Dawn) mixed with five-six parts water works. Stirred, not shaken! :)

JKJ

Richard McComas
08-16-2017, 8:59 PM
Just don't transport in in you car like this couple did

http://kdvr.com/2017/08/14/couple-moving-grill-in-suv-injured-in-explosion-after-wife-lights-up-a-cigarette/