PDA

View Full Version : Help with JJP12 chainwheel

Leith Harwood
08-10-2017, 7:12 PM
Hi all,

I own a jjp12 it's just over 3 years old. The other day I was planing a small piece of walnut and i didn't realize the board had a taper to it. So what started off as a small pass ended up a bigger one. After a grunt from the machine and a bang I stopped it to find plastic underneath. When I opened the covers I could see the chainwheel plastic tensioner had broken and the shaft bent. A bit of online research shows this is a problem with this unit, so I ordered the whole replacement chainwheel assembly from my jet dealer. Had it all reinstalled in a few minutes and was off again. But annoyingly, the moment a piece of timber touched the indeed roller (light pass) bang, again, and the whole new assembly was in pieces.
I see no other damage or any obvious signs of problems. I have seen issues with the pillowblock that hold the indeed/outfeed rollers causing his, but I have lubricated mine and they spin quite freely.
The knives are original, and whilst probably due for replacement, they were giving a reasonable result.
My only 'issue' prior to this, I had found the rollers weren't grabbing the timber very well in planing mode.

Would blunt knives cause this kind of problem? I'm kinda out of ideas otherwise and don't want to keep replacing the chain wheels

Curt Harms
08-11-2017, 8:29 AM
These machines have a 5 year warranty in non-commercial service. From the online manual:

1.0 Warranty and service
JET warrants every product it sells against manufacturers’ defects. If one of our tools needs service or repair, please
contact Technical Service by calling 1-800-274-6846, 8AM to 5PM CST, Monday through Friday.
Warranty Period
The general warranty lasts for the time period specified in the literature included with your product or on the official
JET branded website.

JET products carry a limited warranty which varies in duration based upon the product. (See chart below)

Accessories carry a limited warranty of one year from the date of receipt.

Consumable items are defined as expendable parts or accessories expected to become inoperable within a
reasonable amount of use and are covered by a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturer’s defects.
Who is Covered
This warranty covers only the initial purchaser of the product from the date of delivery.
What is Covered
This warranty covers any defects in workmanship or materials subject to the limitations stated below. This warranty
does not cover failures due directly or indirectly to misuse, abuse, negligence or accidents, normal wear-and-tear,
improper repair, alterations or lack of maintenance. JET woodworking machinery is designed to be used with Wood.
Use of these machines in the processing of metal, plastics, or other materials may void the warranty. The exceptions
are acrylics and other natural items that are made specifically for wood turning.
Warranty Limitations
Woodworking products with a Five Year Warranty that are used for commercial or industrial purposes default to a
Two Year Warranty. Please contact Technical Service at 1-800-274-6846 for further clarification.

Seems like it'd be worth a phone call.

Leith Harwood
08-11-2017, 6:01 PM
Yes agreed,
unfortunately I have the 'metric' version in Australia (jpt-310) and whilst they were changing the model number, they were also changing the warrantee from 5 to 3 years.

Curt Harms
08-12-2017, 7:34 AM
Yes agreed,
unfortunately I have the 'metric' version in Australia (jpt-310) and whilst they were changing the model number, they were also changing the warrantee from 5 to 3 years.

Sorry to hear about that. Would it still be worth a call to Jet technical support to see if they have any thoughts. If it's a somewhat common problem maybe Jet has advice on it.