PDA

View Full Version : Quality of older Grizzly machines

jon harriman
10-28-2005, 1:21 PM
Can anybody comment on the general quality of their machines from the late 80s? I may take a look at an 8x66 jointer this weekend that was manufactured in 1988. The owner (a pro shop) is unsure of the model number, but says it is a cabinet with a round dust collection port. He says it cuts square, which is something I should be able to confirm.

The price is pretty good, and I imagine its got to be better than the 6" craftsman jointer I have now. Anybody know anything about Grizzly's older machines?

Scott Coffelt
10-28-2005, 1:24 PM
It is hard to say, but usually the complaints I here are for the older models. Most new seemed to only have problems during shipping, often damage from the carrier.

To add if this is a pro shop, I got to think it has been getting some use. I am not sure what they are charging for it, but for basically the price of new 6" model today you can get one of the 8" close out models.

I know the newer ones are really good. Just my 2 cents.

Bruce Page
10-28-2005, 1:38 PM
A friend of mine has a late 80’s, or early 90’s 6” open stand 6” jointer that I wouldn’t give $5 for.
I know that Grizzly has come a long, long way in the quality department, but I would be very cautious of there earlier stuff.

JMHO

Jim Hager
10-28-2005, 2:03 PM
Jon, we have an 8" grizzly jointer at the school shop where I teach. We got it a couple of years ago out of military surplus. I just went and looked for the model # but it wasn't there. We had to replace the motor on it but the machine tuned up good and works well for use at the school. I suppose it is about the vintage that you are looking at. This one has the levers that raise and lower the beds. The most aggrivating thing about it is that the outfeed table stop mechanism does not allow the table to be set back to 0 repeatably. Some slop in the mechanism and it just doesn't work right. Otherwise the old machine was a bargain at $50 plus a new motor.:D

Les Spencer
10-28-2005, 2:05 PM
I had a 6" closed cabinet Grizzly jointer that was early '90's. The bed was so out of flat it was useless. Called the factory and they told me to place boards on the floor and stand on the table to try and flatten. By the way, this was in the manual. Real high tech and quality.:mad: I would not buy a used one. People seem to be happy with Grizzly now, but I have stayed away because of this one experience.

Dev Emch
10-28-2005, 5:55 PM
Older grizzlys are like old steam engines with a low water level indicator.

Here is what you need to do...

1). Hang the poker on the steam release valve (vent pressure).

2). Drop your fire box NOW!

3). Pull the whistle a few times to alert folks.

4). Run like heck in any direction AWAY from the boiler.

Older grizzlys have a similar Management Process. Put your hat on and run like heck in any direction.

Bruce Page
10-28-2005, 6:15 PM
So Dev, what do you really think? ;)

Jack Lindsey
10-29-2005, 2:39 AM
At the risk of going counter to other opinions, I have 2 late '80's vintage Grizzly's - an 8" jointer and a 15" planer and both are excellent machines. Bought them at an estate sale in 1994 for about 1/2 list price and am very pleased with them. Have replaced the blades in both - something that happens with cutting tools, and replaced the contact points in the motor on the jointer. Cost was $10 and took about half an hour. Not a big deal.

gary rice
10-29-2005, 7:22 AM
I have an older grizzly, around that year. For the price I paid I think it's great. Flat and true. The only problem is the motor. The older models have crappy ones. I think mine came with a bend shaft, it always vibrated alot. Cut nice though.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-29-2005, 9:26 PM
The older models can be real crap shoot. Some are ok, others will drive you nuts. I had a contractors table saw that was a disaster.

Burt Waddell
10-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I had two grizzly shapers that were from the early 90's and they were both pieces of junk. One major problem was the elevation mechanism. I certainly wouldn't buy an older grizzly machine and I's think a long time if I were tempted to buy a current model.