PDA

View Full Version : Trotec vs. Epilog vs. ULS

Jay Cee
08-09-2017, 11:47 PM
What are your experiences with Trotec, Epilog, and ULS? Specifically the Eplilog Mini/Helix/Fusion, Rayet 300, Trotec Speedy, and any other ULS machines.
-Pros vs. Cons.
-What are the best deals some of you may have gotten in the last year? Private messages are welcomed if it is not allowed to post on here.
- If you have had or currently own both, is there one you prefer more?

Currently we are leaning towards the Trotec Speedy 300 as the local Epilog dealer seems to be too busy for us. Takes forever to get a response by email so we would hate to have to go through that if we purchase one of their machines and need to reach out for support. ULS on the other hand has not responded at all. Is this typical from these companies? All opinions and advice will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!:)

Tim Bateson
08-10-2017, 10:19 AM
I've only owned Epilogs. They are very solid machines with fantastic support. I did almost buy Trotec on my last CO2 purchase. They have an excellent line of machines as well. You are going to find solid Epilog & solid Trotec people here. In my case I went with Epilog again because it's what I knew & felt comfortable with. Just Epilog's support alone gives them the edge in my book. If I'm forced to give an unbiased opinion - it's a coin toss.

Jay Cee
08-10-2017, 2:36 PM
Is support usually with the local dealer? Our local Epilog dealer doesn't even respond to emails within 48 business hours and I usually have to email a couple times before I get a response. Often times rude and seem not want our business.

Mike Null
08-10-2017, 3:35 PM
Trotec has a large staff of tech people and is extremely helpful. Support is by telephone or email.

There is no local support with either Trotec or Epilog. ULS for that matter as well.

Jay Cee
08-10-2017, 5:12 PM
Ohh ok. So once the local dealer sells you the machine, you no longer contact them for support?

Tim Bateson
08-10-2017, 6:09 PM
Correct - dealer is for purchases only... unless you have a fantastic regional dealer - I know of only 2 that fit the bill that offer more such as training classes, workshops etc...

Kev Williams
08-10-2017, 7:23 PM
I have a fantastic regional dealer. I could tell you a very long story about him, but the short version is, without him I'd probably still be renting cars or flipping Dennyburgers ;)...
But there's a catch. He's a New Hermes/Gravograph dealer. See my signature :D

John Lifer
08-11-2017, 9:03 AM
I think it TOTALLY depends on where you are. If you are in TX, then there is a great Epilog dealer there. Most folks it appears contacts factory tech for help after purchase. But it would have a lot to do with the dealer and what he offers.

Mike Null
08-11-2017, 10:27 AM
John

In 20 years of working with ULS, (my first machine) 2 Epilog machines, and Trotec for the past 11 years as well as being active on the forums I have known of two dealers who will assist their customers, one an Epilog dealer in Texas and the other, a ULS dealer in S. Cal. There is a Troec rep in the Southeast who has a good reputation in this regard and another in Illinois. Otherwise, you work with tech support by telephone or email. That has worked quite well in my experience.

Scott Shepherd
08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
I've owned all 3, still own a Universal and Trotec. The Trotec spanks the ULS on every aspect. 90% of all CO2 laser work runs across our Trotec. It's our "Go To" machine. If I had to buy another laser today, there would only be one choice for us. It would be a Trotec.

Jacob John
08-11-2017, 2:20 PM
I've owned both an Epilog and a Trotec. I loved them both. Our used Epilog was a workhorse that never let us down, and it was a 10 year old machine when we bought it. Our Trotec has also been a beast of a machine and is fast. Chris Cudmore with Trotec has always been available for questions and help, and he's always gone above and beyond the sale. That's always stood out to me, and I believe people have had similar experiences with their Epilog salesperson.

Jeanette Brewer
08-12-2017, 4:59 PM
Where are you located, Jay?

Jay Cee
08-13-2017, 4:05 PM
John

In 20 years of working with ULS, (my first machine) 2 Epilog machines, and Trotec for the past 11 years as well as being active on the forums I have known of two dealers who will assist their customers, one an Epilog dealer in Texas and the other, a ULS dealer in S. Cal. There is a Troec rep in the Southeast who has a good reputation in this regard and another in Illinois. Otherwise, you work with tech support by telephone or email. That has worked quite well in my experience.

That is definitely good to know! Do you know who I can contact for the ULS in S. Cal?

Jay Cee
08-13-2017, 4:09 PM
Where are you located, Jay?

California :)

Tony Lenkic
08-13-2017, 4:44 PM
Try this place

www dot kluzinternational dot com

Mike Null
08-14-2017, 8:58 AM
If I were you I'd be looking very hard at Trotec. Trotec build quality is what sets it apart. Mine is 11 years old and runs every day--I'm not a hobbyist. In 11 years I've been down 5 days--4 of which were to have my tube rebuilt. Trotec tech support is all I've used. These are fairly simple machines and not hard to work on. I've found that to be true of ULS and Epilog as well.

I have two larger competitors whom I know fairly well. One has 4 Trotecs; one has two and is considering a third.