PDA

View Full Version : When do you give up on a bowl and start a new bowl

Mack Gambrell
08-09-2017, 11:38 PM
365753365754365755365756This is black acica I like the shape but it's getting fine cracks. would you move on and why.ive been turning about 6 mo. And I mostly have wet wood so I don't have a lot of finished projects yet. still building out my shop and buying stuff.

Brian Kent
08-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Black Acacia is wonderful wood. If you love the grain and if that is a compression mount, I would spend some time with super glue if you want the inclusions or epoxy and a filler if your don't mind a contrast in texture but symmetry in shape. Then slowwwwwwwwww turn with face shield in place and standing out of the line of fire.

roger wiegand
08-10-2017, 8:36 AM
I usually give up after I've put the gouge through the bottom of the bowl :D.

In a case like yours I'd superglue the cracks and move forward, with care.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2017, 9:21 AM
Mark, hard to tell from your photos but it looks to me like you turned some green (wet) wood and if so, no amount of glue will keep it from checking/cracking while it is drying. In this case, I would set the piece aside and then come back to it in a month or more to see if there is anything left to salvage/finish.

William C Rogers
08-10-2017, 9:28 AM
I usually give up after I've put the gouge through the bottom of the bowl :D.

That's when I call it finished.

Agree with Steve, let it sit for a while and see what happens. If I do use CA I put a coat of sanding sealer on to keep the glue from soaking in next to the crack and showing discoloration.

Harold Balzonia
08-10-2017, 4:27 PM
Never give up on a bowl.... until there is nothing left but chips on the floor.... so says me, the stubbornest SOB...

any bowl can be saved with enough effort! Of course I'm the only one I know dumb enough to have this philosophy....