PDA

View Full Version : not sure I care for the forum split...

Kev Williams
08-09-2017, 1:36 PM
Just an observation on my part but it seems that since the engraving forums split, active participation is down substantially. Could be everyone's on vacation... ;)

Since I work 15-17 hours a day 7 days a week, this forum is my respite several times a day. And lately everythings too quiet... like now, the 'general' forum has had not a single new topic or addition since I posted up at 1:42am this morning, 22 hours ago. The last anything in the hardware section was in the 'Glowforge' thread about an hour ago, before that a post from Bert about 3 hours ago, before that was nearly 28 hours ago yesterday morning...

Not sure what's up exactly, but there's not much action, and I miss it... :(

Brian Leavitt
08-09-2017, 3:24 PM
Personally, I liked when it was a single forum. I had (and still do) my bookmark for this specific forum, but I never think to, or have time to, go check the other one. Like you, I like to pop on here a few times a day to stay up to date on the goings-on. I still check on here. I just don't get over to the hardware/software forum.

John Lifer
08-09-2017, 3:26 PM
It's ok, just have to back up one page and go to other one. Bit more work. Maybe a benefit, I can't see it either. And, I'M HERE! :)

Chris Achtschin
08-09-2017, 4:08 PM
I vote for the single forum:)

Ruben Salcedo
08-09-2017, 5:43 PM
+1 single forum

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2017, 6:14 PM
It was split because of complaints from seasoned users. A large amount of tech support questions were flooding the main forum. On any given day, 75% or more was tech support questions. With that level of questions every day on the same subject matter, it was discouraging people who have been here for years from participating.

The decision was made to split it into a tech support and general discussion area to try and get more posting about actual engraving, rather than posting about broken machines.

All you need to do is back up one level and create a new bookmark. Problem solved :)

John Kleiber
08-10-2017, 8:20 AM
Just an observation on my part but it seems that since the engraving forums split, active participation is down substantially. Could be everyone's on vacation... ;)

Since I work 15-17 hours a day 7 days a week, this forum is my respite several times a day. And lately everythings too quiet... like now, the 'general' forum has had not a single new topic or addition since I posted up at 1:42am this morning, 22 hours ago. The last anything in the hardware section was in the 'Glowforge' thread about an hour ago, before that a post from Bert about 3 hours ago, before that was nearly 28 hours ago yesterday morning...

Not sure what's up exactly, but there's not much action, and I miss it... :(

I think that the lack of posting is coincidental. I have not posted because I simply have been too busy on projects, rearranging the shop, shopping for equipment, customer emails and other stuff.

A nice feature for forum software would be a virtual concept. The idea being, a member could select multiple sub forums and combine them into one listing that only they could see.

But your right, it is a hassle to remember to go into the other forum.

-John

Kev Williams
08-10-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't mind the 2 forums in general, no big deal, I just made the one my homepage, and when the browser loads I just add a tab and pop up the second forum. I frequent a boat forum where there's separate venues for 'general boating', 'boating lifestyle', 'boat trailers', 'maintenance', 'engine repairs', 'prop issues', and about a half dozen more 'off topic' sections. I read 'em all! :D

What I'm worried about is if this change has put off OTHER users. The past 3 days has been cricket city. And yes it may be coincidental, and like I mentioned above, this is the time of year everyone goes on vacation which could be part of the lag. Weekends are usually pretty slow but the past 3 week DAYS have been near dead quiet, not normal...

Peter Froh
08-10-2017, 6:16 PM
What's the URL of the new forum? I can't find it.

Mark Sipes
08-10-2017, 6:34 PM
Just go to Forum on the top bar and scroll down to Engraving Hardware/Software

or

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?69-Engraving-Hardware-and-Software

Jeanette Brewer
08-12-2017, 4:51 PM
+1 single forum

Jeff Body
08-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Thanks.........

I didn't even know there was a split. I was wondering where that Glowforge thread went.

Mike Lysov
08-13-2017, 5:37 AM
I think two forums are ok for any new thread but when you reply to old ones and want to check them later I find it very difficult to find them.
The only thing that saves it is going through user posted messages on a user account page.

Keith Outten
08-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Lets give the dual forums some time to see if they are more productive as people get used to the format.

In the meantime try this link and save it in your browser favorites, it will search both engraver forums for new posts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.p...w&include=8,69 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=8,69)

Brian Leavitt
08-14-2017, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the link, Keith. I like that.

I know it's easy to simply bookmark the second forum, or go up a level and check the other one. Overall, I'm sure it's a positive change as well. I still prefer a single forum approach, but I can see the benefit of splitting. I've just replaced my engravers forum bookmark with the search link provided by Keith so I'm happy.

Keith Outten
08-15-2017, 1:06 PM
At some point in the future we will have another search feature that works, something like the one that Aaron Koehl developed a couple years ago. The reason that I can make this promise is that most of you have no idea how valuable our archives are and the fantastic information that exists here. More than any forum here the Laser Engraving Forum contains a wealth of information with impressive file attachments....not just pictures there are lots of drawings, pdf files, vector files and a whole host of other documents that only a few have ever seen.

I recently finished reviewing over 50,000 file attachments from 2014, 2015 and 2016 from all of our forums. It knocks me out every time I review file attachments here, in fact I am working with Aaron to develop a Hall of Fame feature now. This is a monumental job because the volume of pictures alone but I hope to unveil this feature on our 15th anniversary this February.

What makes me sad is that there are so many posts of projects that won't ever be seen again here because so many people have chosen not to upload their pictures here and now they are gone.

If you would like to submit any project for consideration please send me a Private Message with a link to the post of the persons project. How many people here do think will receive the Hall Of Fame title with pictures and links to their projects ?

Bert Kemp
08-15-2017, 2:22 PM
I saved this link in my bookmarks but when I try to use it I get sorry no results in search.

Lets give the dual forums some time to see if they are more productive as people get used to the format.

In the meantime try this link and save it in your browser favorites, it will search both engraver forums for new posts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.p...w&include=8,69 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=8,69)

Jeff Body
08-15-2017, 10:43 PM
I saved this link in my bookmarks but when I try to use it I get sorry no results in search.

Same here!!

Erik Goetheer
08-16-2017, 4:39 AM
.... In the meantime try this link and save it in your browser favorites, it will search both engraver forums for new posts.

That's a good one, Keith, thanks.

Don Corbeil
08-16-2017, 1:36 PM
It was split because of complaints from seasoned users. A large amount of tech support questions were flooding the main forum. On any given day, 75% or more was tech support questions. With that level of questions every day on the same subject matter, it was discouraging people who have been here for years from participating.

The decision was made to split it into a tech support and general discussion area to try and get more posting about actual engraving, rather than posting about broken machines.

All you need to do is back up one level and create a new bookmark. Problem solved :)

Agree, and like the new split. Was tired of sorting through broken laser problems to get to something interesting about actual engraving.

Keith Outten
08-16-2017, 1:51 PM
Bert,

Login to SawMill Creek first and then use the link.

Bert Kemp
08-17-2017, 12:06 AM
Keith I saved the link in my firefox bookmarks, opened SMC and tried the link again same thing happens . What am I doin wrong?

Bert,

Login to SawMill Creek first and then use the link.

Tim Bateson
08-17-2017, 8:05 AM
Keith I saved the link in my firefox bookmarks, opened SMC and tried the link again same thing happens . What am I doin wrong?

Same here, stopped working yesterday morning.

Keith Outten
08-17-2017, 10:28 AM
I don't know why its not working for you guys. I just opened a new browser window in Firefox and inserted the link, it worked perfectly.

I'll ask Aaron if he knows why the link works for me but not others.

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2017, 11:40 AM
It only shows new posts since your last visit. If there are no new posts, it'll show no results.

Erik Goetheer
08-17-2017, 1:38 PM
Same here, stopped working yesterday morning.

My saved bookmark link isn't working anymore either, although there are new posts. Strange.

Kev Williams
08-17-2017, 9:11 PM
I kinda mentioned this before but this works great for me:

I made the general forum my home page, so whenever I open firefox, the general forum comes up-
then I immediately open a new tab, which lists my most-used page thumbnails, and of course the hardware forum is always #1, in the top left corner ;)

3 button pushes... click the firefox icon, click new tab, click the first thumbnail, both forums loaded :D