PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on painting exterior stairs and deck

Tim Boger
08-08-2017, 8:29 PM
As the pictures show, I've let these areas go to long without cleaning and new paint. One of the pics shows the damage to the stair treads that occurred when I realized that pressure washing alone wasn't going to get it done.

What method / product should I use to prep these areas for new paint.

Thanks,
Tim Boger365646365647365648365649365650365651365652

Mel Fulks
08-08-2017, 9:43 PM
Some of your boards look like they are heart side up,they will never hold paint. Conifers need to be bark side to weather.

Tim Boger
08-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Hey Mel ... I did not know that.

Any suggestions what type of cleaning agent might clean the painted surfaces of the black mildew and help me prep for repainting?

Thanks

Some of your boards look like they are heart side up,they will never hold paint. Conifers need to be bark side to weather.

Mel Fulks
08-08-2017, 10:29 PM
You might be able to just turn over some of the upside down boards. There are some products sold as deck cleaners,but I dont have any experience with them. And there's always bleach and water. I like Flood brand solid color stain for deck and fence paint,but they have recently changed the formula and I have not tried the new stuff.

Rich Engelhardt
08-09-2017, 5:53 AM
What method / product should I use to prep these areas for new paint.Just replace them. Removal usually tears them up pretty good. Been there/done that.
While you have them off - you might want to sister some treated 2x4's into the stringers so you have new wood to nail or screw into. The old stuff, where the nails or screws were, is usually pretty nasty.
(
One of the pics shows the damage to the stair treads that occurred when I realized that pressure washing alone wasn't going to get it done. - Seen that a lot & in the long run, it's faster and easier to tear out the old steps and just replace them - - the risers are fine & they can stay)
Jomax will clean everything. Just hose it down, flood some Jomax on with a sponge & scrub it all down with a brush or push broom, then rinse.

You can make your own cleaner if you want - instead of buying the Jomax. It's simple enough. To a gallon of water, add 1 cup of Clorox and 1 cup of TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) or powdered laundry detergent. Don't use soap. Soap will close the pores of the wood. Detergent won't.
I prefer to use the ready made stuff, like Jomax, since it's easier to store and transport.

Stain is the proper thing to use. Just make sure the type & brand is suitable for foot traffic.
If you do go ahead and replace the boards, allow them a good six months to weather so the treatment will have worked out enough to allow the stain to penetrate the wood.

Azek - or another composite - is a possibility if you want to get away from ever having to coat the steps. They should be able to match a stain to the Azek for the rails and risers.
Using Azek instead of treated will run a lot more money though - - but - for just the steps it might be worth the extra money just to be forever done with them.

Tim Boger
08-09-2017, 6:55 AM
Thanks again Mel, I do appreciate your feedback.
Tim
You might be able to just turn over some of the upside down boards. There are some products sold as deck cleaners,but I dont have any experience with them. And there's always bleach and water. I like Flood brand solid color stain for deck and fence paint,but they have recently changed the formula and I have not tried the new stuff.

Neil Gaskin
08-09-2017, 9:55 AM
To clean and prep we use tsp a scrub brush and light pressure from a pressure washer. You need to be careful and not use the pressure washer too closely. Try to keep the nozzle about a foot or so above the wood.

After that, it needs to dry for a few days to a week depending on your climate. If you have a moisture meter check it. Most manufacturers want a Moisture content less than 14%.

My opinion is that you are better with a stain than a paint. If you want a Painted look use a a solid body stain. We've tried a number of stains and the best so far is Benjamin Moore arbor coat. None of them last very long. Whatever you purchase will have directions for ideal application.

If you decide to paint, I would recommend Benjamin Moore porch and floor paint. Based on the weather worn appearance of the material you're working with I do not believe this would be a good idea.

Mike Berrevoets
08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
I've had good luck with the Olympic Deck Cleaner in a garden sprayer. Spray it on while the boards are dry, let it sit for 15 minutes or so and rinse it off. It is so little effort and relatively little money that I think it is worth a try first before replacing boards.

Honestly, I think the Olympic deck cleaner is probably just overpriced bleach water but it has a little thicker consistency and it works well so I just haven't explored making my own.

Just don't spray the pergola overhead while standing downwind or you will ruin your favorite hat. Don't ask me how I know....

Ed Aumiller
08-09-2017, 9:00 PM
To clean you can use bleach with Jomax... That is basically what deck cleaners are... Where old clothes and wash them QUICKLY after using Jomax...

Olympic makes what is called a RESCUE STAIN that is very thick and will do a good job after you clean it up... It just does not go as far as regular stain since it is thick to fill in the cracks, etc... Olympic also makes a rescue deck cleaner but it is simply bleach with Jomax in my opinion...

Recommend you have a small bucket of sand to sprinkle on each step while the paint / stain is wet to improve traction when stairs are wet from rain...

Porch paint is great for covered surfaces but no good on open stairs..

Good luck..

Tim Boger
08-10-2017, 8:30 AM
Hi Ed ... I'm not certain that my original post was clear as most of the responses didn't recognize that my stairs and attached porches are already painted, this is probably the 3rd time over 11 years I've had to deal with cleaning and repainting. My question is how best to clean / remove the Black Mildew prior to repainting. Your reply was very helpful.

Thanks for your help Ed

To clean you can use bleach with Jomax... That is basically what deck cleaners are... Where old clothes and wash them QUICKLY after using Jomax...

Olympic makes what is called a RESCUE STAIN that is very thick and will do a good job after you clean it up... It just does not go as far as regular stain since it is thick to fill in the cracks, etc... Olympic also makes a rescue deck cleaner but it is simply bleach with Jomax in my opinion...

Recommend you have a small bucket of sand to sprinkle on each step while the paint / stain is wet to improve traction when stairs are wet from rain...

Porch paint is great for covered surfaces but no good on open stairs..

Good luck..

Von Bickley
08-11-2017, 11:19 PM
I have found that the best cleaning solution is a common bleach and water mixture in a pump-up sprayer. I mix about 1 part bleach with 2 parts water. Rinse the area you want to clean, spray on the bleach and water, let sit for a few minutes and rinse off. Bleach is cheap at the grocery store and you will be amazed with the cleaning results.

I lived in Lexington for over 30 years on Pisgah Church Road. Now living in the Fairview community, half way between Batesburg and Pelion.

Tim Boger
08-13-2017, 2:57 PM
Hey Von,

It appears that we're dis-located neighbors as I'm on Old Cherokee Rd with Saint Peters as a near cross road.

I ended up using 1 gal water, 32 oz Outdoor Clorox and 2 cups TSP .... not sure if I'm mixing it stronger than need be to be effective but it worked pretty good. Spray it on with a small pump sprayer and let it set for 10 - 15 minutes and pressure wash it off. Some areas required a stiff deck brush.

The green moss, algae or mildew dissipated once sprayed, the black mildew required considerably more attention.

Tim

I have found that the best cleaning solution is a common bleach and water mixture in a pump-up sprayer. I mix about 1 part bleach with 2 parts water. Rinse the area you want to clean, spray on the bleach and water, let sit for a few minutes and rinse off. Bleach is cheap at the grocery store and you will be amazed with the cleaning results.

I lived in Lexington for over 30 years on Pisgah Church Road. Now living in the Fairview community, half way between Batesburg and Pelion.

Steven Kliebert
08-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Hey, I am a newbie in here.I just want to learn something from you.Thank you all for your helpful post.

Tim Boger
08-21-2017, 3:41 PM
Hey Steven .... Lot's to learn here.
Tim

Hey, I am a newbie in here.I just want to learn something from you.Thank you all for your helpful post.