PDA

View Full Version : Lumber storage advise please

john whittaker
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I have my lumber (maple walnut & some exotics) stored in the garage which is not heated. Should I move the wood indoors for the winter? Location is Charlotte, NC. Winters are mild but we do get freezing temperatures. It seems to me that the lumber would be ok in the garage but thought I would ask. Thanks for your advise.

Russell Svenningsen
10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
When I lived in Cincinnati, I stored the lumber is my unheated garage and had no problems. Here in Minnesota, much colder, same story. Lumber's just fine. Of course, making sure it's stacked and stickered properly is important.

Best,
Russell

Ed Lang
10-28-2005, 11:56 AM
It will be fine outside the shop. Just bring in what you will need for the project a few days before starting the project so it can get up to temp and moisture.

Frank Pellow
10-28-2005, 12:29 PM
In Toronto, I also store most of my lumber in an unheated garage then bring it into the shop for a while before I use it.

Harry Goodwin
10-28-2005, 1:04 PM
I live in Greenville NC and have no trouble with wood in unheated garage except tryijng to heat the garage. . I do watch the glue and glue ups since you can get below its effectiveness. Harry

Fred Voorhees
10-28-2005, 5:58 PM
My rough sawn lumber supplier has a huge old barn that has absolutely no heat whatsoever and he claims to have upwards of 10,000 board feet of oak, maple, cherry, walnut, pine, poplar and others and it can get pretty darned cold here in Jersey and his wood is some of the finest that I have ever seen. Of course, this guy, an old tree surgeon before he retired, is quite anal about stacking and stickering and weighing down his stuff. His place is tidy and neat and his stacks are perfect. The place is a shrine. I have never had a problem with his wood.

Michael Gabbay
10-28-2005, 6:20 PM
I do the same and do not have any problem with my rough sawn lumber. I take the project material into my basement shop a few weeks before I start milling to let it settle and acclimate.

john whittaker
10-28-2005, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought it would be OK but wanted to make sure. Sure do appreciate this forum.