PDA

View Full Version : This might be a nice next challenge: 9' tall wood shutters from 1836

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2017, 3:44 PM
The previous owner of my house was cleaning out his warehouse and found these. They are the original shutters for my front doors. I was already planning to build shutters and doors. I like the idea of having jalousies that let the air flow. Perhaps this is the ideal project for the Veritas large plow when it arrives.

For security, I would only make the top open and make the middle panel solid. I still have a solid door inside these. The idea is that you open the inside door and let these be a vent and still have privacy and a bit of protection if it rains.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2017, 3:53 PM
To clarify- the idea would be to make a copy and not to restore these. They are a bit past that. I can't figure out how one is shorter at the top on one side, but level at the bottom.

James Pallas
08-08-2017, 3:55 PM
They almost look salvageable Malcolm. Those shutters are a good thing and they are decorative as well. Very cool project. I would like to follow as you progress.
Jim

James Pallas
08-08-2017, 4:03 PM
Malcolm it is very possible that the active opened in for inclimate weather. It would keep the wind from taking it out of your control. Double hinge on that side so it could open out to be stored outside when not in use.
Jim

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2017, 4:34 PM
Malcolm it is very possible that the active opened in for inclimate weather. It would keep the wind from taking it out of your control. Double hinge on that side so it could open out to be stored outside when not in use.
Jim

Hmmm- that's a thought. I certainly would not want that. It needs to be a first defense against break-in, with a solid door behind it being a second defense. You step up to the doors, so the top would be hard to reach to break in. Certainly not impossible, but very difficult.

I also got the original shutters for the downstairs windows. Those are salvageable, and I am very excited about that. As it is, people on ground level can see into my shop, and even reach in an arm's length through the bars. I have long wanted shutters. There are solid exterior shutters, but these would be additional interior shutters. I will try to get pics. They are made from heart pine, as was everything back then. (Locally, that is. They brought wood from the US- mostly North Carolina from my research.)

Mel Fulks
08-08-2017, 4:46 PM
See the other thread on shutters. Easy to cut the spaces for the slats with a ratchet and radial arm saw. If you do them with hand tools a ratchet could be used with a mitre box.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2017, 4:57 PM
See the other thread on shutters. Easy to cut the spaces for the slats with a ratchet and radial arm saw. If you do them with hand tools a ratchet could be used with a mitre box.

These are movable. They are built into a frame that is attached to the door, and sticking out in the front (outside facing). That allows them to be flush on the inside, which I like because it allows me to mount a security bar and a mosquito screen. Each slat has a whittled tab on it. One tab goes on the frame and the other goes into a moving wood bar. Move the bar up and down to open and close.

Jim Koepke
08-08-2017, 5:24 PM
I like the idea of having jalousies that let the air flow.

It would be sure to make your visitors and neighbors jealous if you catch the meaning.

[edit]
I can't figure out how one is shorter at the top on one side, but level at the bottom.

They are a bit different at the base and the panels. The piece above the panel is a bit bigger on the left door. It is easier to notice with the image turned.

Those may have come from two different buildings but made by the same person.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
08-08-2017, 5:59 PM
It would be sure to make your visitors and neighbors jealous if you catch the meaning.

They are a bit different at the base and the panels. The piece above the panel is a bit bigger on the left door. It is easier to notice with the image turned.

Those may have come from two different buildings but made by the same person.

jtk

Actually the left one appears to have been repaired and they made it longer at the bottom with the repair. They are certainly a matched set- made to fit together. One is larger than the other and when shut the wider piece is beaded to look like a middle piece. This allows for a wider service door, but then if you open the second door it is a very large opening. The person who took these off the house and he changed the doors to be equally sized. Now when you enter the house you need not be too wide in the hips! I like the wider entry door. I will probably do that.

Mel Fulks
08-08-2017, 6:17 PM
I didn't see that! I once worked in a shop that had a machine that cut those swivel tabs, but we bad no calls for swivel and the machine needed some work.

Frederick Skelly
08-08-2017, 8:36 PM
Looks like a good project Malcolm. Looking forward to your build thread!
Fred

Jim Koepke
08-09-2017, 2:06 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to cut the swivels with a plug cutter or a hollow auger. A hollow auger is possibly too big for the job.

jkt

James Pallas
08-09-2017, 6:49 AM
A piece of steel tubing, the kind they use in automotive work, with teeth filed on the end works fine. It's a loose fit anyway. If it is too tight the weather will quickly bind the whole thing up. The bigger issue is finding straight grained material for both ends and both edges. The pin is so close to the edge that any runout is your enemy.
Jim

Pat Barry
08-09-2017, 8:04 AM
I would need screens in those doors up here in MN with all the flies, mosquito's etc. No problem with bugs in VI?

Malcolm Schweizer
08-09-2017, 8:45 AM
I would need screens in those doors up here in MN with all the flies, mosquito's etc. No problem with bugs in VI?

Yes- the reason I like this design is that it has a flat side so you can put a screen on it and the louvers still work because they protrude to the front.

lowell holmes
08-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Google "how to make shutters".

You will find a lot of information. :)

Hasin Haroon
08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Looking forward to seeing your build thread Malcolm.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-10-2017, 3:51 PM
If it interests anyone- the interior shutters have the rail through-mortised into the stile. There is a bead around the inner edge of each.