PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to add trophies

Bill Stearns
08-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Hi All ...

I’d like to add “large trophies” to my product offerings. I’ve looked into this idea ‘few times over the years - always dissuaded, as it seemed I’d have to make quite an investment in stocking all the various components: bases, multi-colored columns, rods, nuts ‘n bolts, plastic figurines, etc. I’ve simply never felt I could afford to make that commitment, time ‘n money-wise. But, suddenly now, I’m feeling kinda foolish leaving “large trophies” to my competitors ‘round town, or to Internet trophy companies.

Here's my "plan". Can you help me find a (wholesale) source that offers one, maybe, two, “large trophies”: pre-assembled or, partially assembled - or, ‘least, coming with all the needed parts for assembly as one package? Is there such a thing? Let me clarify: by “large trophies” I mean: like the three-riser column style - 24”, 26”, 36”? - which would allow for gold/plastic figures, or finials, on top. In short, I wouldn’t plan on offering a full gamete of style ‘n color choices. - would just like to give customers one, or two choices.

Does seem I’m seeing, more ‘n more, regional teams being awarded these style (larger) trophies ‘n feel, now, as if I’ve been missing the boat!
Your open thoughts ‘bout my plan would be very much appreciated; your providing a source for me, every bit as much!

Eager to hear ... Bill

Mike Null
08-08-2017, 2:20 PM
Bill
I've avoided trophies in my 20 years in the business for a couple of reasons. One, they are not high margin; two, you usually have to inventory the parts and build them yourself and unless you have a minimum wage employee to do that work you will not make any money. It is not, in my opinion, a business that can be done in low volume mode. If you insist on getting into the business have a talk with JDS.

I would take a look at linking up with somebody like Tropar/Airflyte and use their website to market higher priced awards. They have a very good inventory in Chicago and it's next day delivery for me. I don't carry any inventory.

Kev Williams
08-08-2017, 3:20 PM
We used to have a place in town called Rocky Mountain Awards Distributors. You could walk in any time and buy bases, rods, figurines, all kinds of stuff to build trophies--

-or better yet, just walk in anytime and buy EXACTLY what you need! Why use your place to store stuff when they're only 4 miles away and always have everything!?

Then Marco bought them out. No more walk-ins. Haven't a clue what they keep in stock.

Since I'm not a trophy shop it's not a BIG deal, and it IS nice to have Marco 4 miles away. But if want anything there, I have to phone an order in, and hope it's in stock.

I DO miss RMAD :(

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2017, 9:57 PM
We also have a local supplier, but Like Mike, I have avoided it. As a former youth soccer board member and president, I know that it's a tough business to get into. Most organizations have a parent, or relative of parent that does them, or they have a long standing relationship with someone. Breaking in, even with lower prices is hard, and it's a lot of work getting them done on tight deadlines. I used to do laser work for a rotary trophy shop, and he had many late nights and lost weekends at the end of various sports seasons.

Chris Achtschin
08-18-2017, 3:24 PM
JDS and MARCO Awards are trophy vendors/suppliers

Matthew Mann
08-18-2017, 4:27 PM
I work for a business called Sports Trophies, so you know we make trophies. It's a local business and there are 3 of us that work here including the owner. Unless you have someone to help you with trophy building I would be hesitant to get into selling them. Its a lot of manual labor that takes you away from doing other work. Thankfully we are able to split the work load up.

Look at JDS, They have a retail catalog you can get and it has large and small trophies with suggested retail prices. If you order the part number attached to a trophy they will send you every pieces you need to build that trophy. This way you do not have to keep inventory you can just order as you need it. They have 3 post trophies, 2 post, 1 post, no post, resins, medals.

Here is a link to their virtual retail catalog. I do not think this shows the prices. http://www.premiersportawards.com/

Just a suggestion.

Bill Stearns
08-18-2017, 8:44 PM
Hey All - especially, Chris & Matthew:
Sure appreciate the input I received regarding my wanting to add “large-column-tiered trophies” to my product line-up; my questioning if I could buy ‘em fully assembled from some place? Thought I’d been clear; it wasn’t my intention to expand into offering a full line of actual trophies; just felt I might be losing business by not offering ‘least one, or two, choices. (the big tall ones I, sometimes, see teams receiving.)

I had been under the erroneous impression, all this time, that it was necessary to invest in inventorying loads of components; down to the nuts ‘n bolts ‘n rods, etc. I understand, now - as Chris & Matthew pointed out - I can order a single “large” trophy from JDS ‘n they’ll send me all the needed parts - packaged up, ready to assemble. Which, knock-on-wood, should fit my needs perfectly! (When ‘n if I get an inquiry ‘bout ‘em.)

Thanks again - Bill