PDA

View Full Version : Transom Desk Comission

Bill McNiel
08-07-2017, 9:59 PM
Client wanted a home office desk that was emblematic of the transom of his sport fishing boat. Mahogany (solid top & drawer fronts with veneered cabinet face) finished with Waterlox and poplar finished with "Fighting Lady Yellow" gel-coat. The pole holders provide a path for computer cables. Rub rail bending around the corners was really fun. My original design had a fish door and exhaust port on the face.

John TenEyck
08-07-2017, 10:24 PM
That's some amazing work, Bill. Really well done. I don't think I've ever seen a better Waterlox finish. Please tell me more about the gel coat product and how you applied it.

John

Joe A Faulkner
08-07-2017, 10:36 PM
I love it!!! You definitely captured that well-cared-for fishing boat vibe. I really like the backside of the desk as well as the rub rail. I usually don't care for high gloss finishes, but in this situation, it looks authentic and great. Thanks for sharing this. What a fun, yet sophisticated piece. Very well done.

Bruce Page
08-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Stunning! +1 on what Joe said, fun, yet sophisticated! Very sophisticated!
I'm assuming that the rub rail is metal. How did you form it?

Yonak Hawkins
08-08-2017, 10:55 AM
It's got an excellent look, Bill. ..Definitely a head-turner. What is the painted material ? Also, how did you curve the front panel ?

Will Boulware
08-08-2017, 11:54 AM
That is awesome! Great idea and incredible execution. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bill McNiel
08-08-2017, 12:10 PM
That's some amazing work, Bill. Really well done. I don't think I've ever seen a better Waterlox finish. Please tell me more about the gel coat product and how you applied it.

John

John,
Thank you for the kind words.

Waterlox is a favorite finish for me. On this project I rubbed out the finish to a high gloss on the cabinet and drawer faces while bringing the top to a semi-gloss/matte finish using MicroMesh pads.

I have spent a lot of time around boats and maintaining them. I learned enough about gel coat to understand the complexities of the application process and the specialized equipment required. However, I have a very nice Fugi 4 Stage HVLP system that is not suitable for applying gel coat, one really needs an airless high pressure system. While doing research on current gel coat products I met a young man who does this full time and could set up a booth in the owner's garage. I did all the prep, fairing and masking and he applied the product. I am really pleased with the finish and the cost was significantly lower than what it would have been for me to appropriately gear up.

Regards - Bill

Bill McNiel
08-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Stunning! +1 on what Joe said, fun, yet sophisticated! Very sophisticated!
I'm assuming that the rub rail is metal. How did you form it?

Thank you,

Yes, the rub rail is stainless steel and rather stiff. Curves are achieved by slowly applying force along the bending axis and beating the rail into the curve with a soft faced dead blow mallet. One must be very careful to not apply too much force or the edges will flatten out and expand the profile. A very tedious process but a true sense of accomplishment when done right.

Regards - Bill

Bill McNiel
08-08-2017, 12:38 PM
It's got an excellent look, Bill. ..Definitely a head-turner. What is the painted material ? Also, how did you curve the front panel ?

Thank you Yonak,

The cabinet carcass is maple ply, the face frame and curve frames are poplar. I hope these photos help clarify the construction.

Regards - Bill

Peter Christensen
08-08-2017, 1:37 PM
Arr Billy, ya crafted a fine vessel, arr I mean desk.

Very nice.

Mel Fulks
08-08-2017, 2:12 PM
Agree with all! Done by a lesser hand a commission like that could produce hilarious kitsch! It is SO evocative but so clearly a DESK! Years ago I heard that there are a number of desks from which the President chooses. The RESOLUTE desk has been in use for quite a while....perhaps no one is sending the memo. I am resolute in my belief that THIS is a
"ship of State".

Julie Moriarty
11-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Now that is really cool, Bill! The attention to detail is impressive. Makes me want to go deep sea fishing! :)