PDA

View Full Version : chinese cutter engraver question

cody michael
08-07-2017, 9:43 PM
has anyone used one of the cheaper chinese cutters? I was looking at a 40w for like 400$ on amazon. I would like to cut out little wood trinkets etc, maybe out of 1/8 thick plywood. would a 40w cut that? Is this something I can buy and be up and running or wood I need to invest in a lot of accessories?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Tech-Engraving-Engraver/dp/B01EJDH1BO/ref=pd_sbs_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1MD36KPEZR4HXMED04Z

Mike Null
08-08-2017, 8:04 AM
That wattage should cut thin wood. You will need an exhaust set up to take the fumes out of your room. You can use a filter but that will cost more than the engraver. It doesn't say naything about a Chiller but I think you'll need one of those as well.

On the plus side is that I believe you can return this if you're not satisfied since it comes from Amazon.

John Lifer
08-08-2017, 8:23 AM
If it's not shipped to wrong address. (Yep amazon isn't always best solution, especially if amazon is using 3rd party)

Bert Kemp
08-08-2017, 9:28 AM
seriously if your brand new to the laser world all your going to get are headaches from a cheap laser cutter off amazon or ebay. Best advice. do more research. learn what your going to have to fix . If youy just buyt one more then likely you won't be happy:mad:

Bill George
08-08-2017, 9:59 AM
has anyone used one of the cheaper chinese cutters? I was looking at a 40w for like 400$ on amazon. I would like to cut out little wood trinkets etc, maybe out of 1/8 thick plywood. would a 40w cut that? Is this something I can buy and be up and running or wood I need to invest in a lot of accessories?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Tech-Engraving-Engraver/dp/B01EJDH1BO/ref=pd_sbs_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1MD36KPEZR4HXMED04Z

Yeah, If you don't mind frustration and spending a lot of extra money to get it working right. Facebook has a Chinese Laser K40 Group head over there and do some reading after doing some searching here. Much better off learning before you buy.

Kev Williams
08-08-2017, 11:43 AM
If you're ONLY planning on using it to mess around with, spend the $400 and have fun, that's less than 3 weeks worth of groceries. Or 2 weeks worth of health insurance. Or less than one month's payment on a western machine.. Another week's worth of groceries will buy a blower, a bucket and a water pump...

If you have ANY inkling on making money with it, buy it anyway and learn what you can and can't do with a laser.

As far as hobbies or 'training' goes, this is dirt cheap ;)

John Larke
08-08-2017, 6:41 PM
The wife has that exact same machine that she uses for her crafts and she has a lot of fun with it.
BUT I have run metal cutting lasers at work for over 30 years so set was pretty easy for us.
I'm not saying anyone can't do it but if it is out of alignment or something you really need to do your homework.

cody michael
08-10-2017, 8:52 AM
Thank you all. You gave me some interesting stuff to think about.

Bill George
08-10-2017, 10:25 AM
From what I have gathered over the Facebook K40 group, its a rare buyer who gets a machine that works out of the box. Some go through 2 or 3 machines before they get one that works or is worth fixing. SO if you can fix things.... go for it and check out that Group on Facebook they have answers because that's most of what they do..... fix.

cody michael
08-11-2017, 1:55 PM
I purchased one because I found a half off code for amazon, 40 watt laser delivered for 225$ should be worth a few tweaks and worst case amazon has great return policy

cody michael
08-17-2017, 1:18 PM
I have it up and running, I need to work in the drawing software but it all seems to function correctly. Thank you for your help

Jerome Stanek
08-17-2017, 3:22 PM
Glad it is working for you. the naysayers heads will be exploding over this

Clark Pace
08-23-2017, 2:23 PM
Guess i was one of the luck ones. I had a pretty decent experience with my k40. My first chinese laser experience. Not my first laser though. Very basic and really a hobby machine. But if you get a bad working one or doa tech support will be zero so i have heard. Never had to contact seller