PDA

View Full Version : CNC Shop San Diego Area?

Joe Wood
08-07-2017, 9:03 PM
I need to find a local CNC shop in the San Diego area. The shop I normally use is booked up for the next few weeks.

I build these azumaya / gazebos with a 'draped' roof
and all the rafters and roof pieces need to be cut by CNC as each rafter has a different shape depending where it is in the compound curved roof. Most all the pieces are cut from 2x12 clear KD VG western red cedar , 1 5/8" thick. Some of the rafters are 8' 8" long.

I have the dxf files, and I do about one of these a month.

Joe Wood
08-08-2017, 9:58 AM
I've been googling and contacted a few shops,

how else can I find a local shop??

Robert Bonenfant
08-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Hey Joe,

I wanted to chime in because I didnt see any responses yet.

Try to expand your search to a wider area - This build looks like it would have no problem being palletized and shipped to you. Currently in my area many of the cnc shops are going crazy with work (Economies is on the rise) But im sure a city away or even state away it might be different and shops could be idle.

Another option would be if your using the same design on each build (Same size gazebos) than contact shops and tell them you want three built at a time. This will cost you more because you have to pay up front for three but many shops are more likely to do this, alot more profitable for them. My shop only works in volume/production items - Well build one as a sample but after that we set minimum order (Most items we make require special vacuum jigs to be made and wouldn't be worth making one set at a time with setup). This option only works if you install the same size each month and have the funds available.

Good Luck

Joe Wood
08-10-2017, 8:28 AM
Thanks Robert but I'd like to keep it on the San Diego area, must be quite a few around here ..

Mark Bolton
08-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Im not in the area but just wanted to say, man, those are some nice looking jobs. Very nice.

AL Ursich
08-10-2017, 2:56 PM
Have you entered the SD North County city names in your search?

I lived in that area in the past.