PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2017, 10:33 AM
7 Aug 2017

Good morning everyone,
The LOML and I have been on vacation to Ketchikan, AK. This was our 4th vacation in 33 years. Woodworking wise, I made 2 spurtles and 2 cutting boards to give to our friends that we stayed with. We went salmon fishing,toured around the area, went hiking, and just relaxed for the first time in a long time. What a wonderful time!

Well, that's it for me. What did you do this past weekend?
Best of weeks to you all!

John K Jordan
08-07-2017, 10:52 AM
I hauled mama llama, baby, and a young alpaca to the church as a added element in a special summer program, this weekend it was Zoo Day. Had about 60 kids in several groups, age 3 to 9.

Working on Beads of Courage boxes and preparing for a turning demo in about a week on a way to make them.

JKJ

Bill Berklich
08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Small project - turned a handle for a small screwdriver from a Bradford Pear branch laying around the shop. Hoping to do this to a set of screwdrivers. I love the creamy color and texture.

John M Wilson
08-07-2017, 12:03 PM
I finally got around to putting in a French Cleat system for my garage / workshop.

Initially, the wall was a mess -- possibly hundreds of abandoned drywall anchors and holes from tools which had moved, so patching and painting was the first step. Cutting and hanging the French Cleats was the easiest part.

Making the individual hooks and hangers took a little bit of time, because my wall space is limited, and I needed to tune the vertical spacing to make everything fit.

As you can see in the last photo, my garage does triple duty - storage for lawn implements, parking two cars, and my woodworking stuff, which is all portable. I guess the advantage is that it forces me to clean up every time I have to put my toys away.

While it is satisfying to organize, I will be glad to finally get everything where it's supposed to be, and get back to making actual projects. :)

John K Jordan
08-07-2017, 2:18 PM
Nice job!

But [gasp] you look like you're in danger of running out of ladders any minute now! (Says the guy with 12 ladders. :))

JKJ

Jim Becker
08-07-2017, 3:53 PM
Productive weekend for me...took the first steps toward "cord cutting" and got an antenna up to test the OTA waters. It's pretty successful with just under 60 stations (including sub-channels) received. Additionally, the lawn got mowed, Costco got visited and the backhoe got reassembled with the four new hoses I bought last week being in place. I now have zero hydraulic leaks and don't expect any in the backhoe, at least in the boom, for years now. The need could come up for the ground engaging supports, but that's a lot more accessible and easy to fix. Lastly, I got an hour in the shop late on Sunday after "hydraulic heaven" and began to rearrange my hand-tool storage location as part of the space optimization I've been working on. The cabinet with the planes moved over from another area of the shop and I got the chisel rack moved so far. I have a lot more work to do, however...

Mike Cutler
08-07-2017, 4:21 PM
Built two coping jigs for the shaper.
One is referenced to the miter slot, the other references to the fence. I'm going to give them both a whirl and see which one I like best.
The one that references to the fence was very simple to build, compared to the other.
I'll build one out of aluminum plate and bar stock, when I decide which one I like best. So far, it's the one that references to the fence.

Jay Larson
08-08-2017, 4:40 PM
Saturday we went to downtown Appleton to see some bands at the Mile of Music. Then we had a wedding.
Sunday I checked on the lawn that was put in on Monday and Tuesday. Yup, still too wet to do anything after the rain on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... So I went into the workshop and finished my parts cabinet. Finally, done.

Mike Ontko
08-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Haven't responded to these regular status updates for a while. LOML and I have been busy putting our current house on the market for sale and looking for something with a little more room for shop, garden, and pasture. And it appears that our timing was way off this year. The market was hot for sellers back in May/June but has cooled off to almost no movement since we got our place listed. And what's worse is that the homes coming on the market don't even come close to what we're looking for. My fear is that we'll sell before we have something else to move into, which'll leave me on the side of the road with all my tools just before the rainy season comes back to the Pacific Northwest.

I did manage to finish the neverending (just a little over a year, actually) cherry and Doug Fir bookcase project (http://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=867). Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. But it clearly reveals (to me at least) a lot of the areas where my WW knowledge and abilities need a little additional polish.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=365767&d=1502368173

Tom Bain
08-09-2017, 12:02 PM
That's nice work, Mike. Is the back shiplapped or is it two floating panels? I can't quite tell from the photo.

Mike Ontko
08-09-2017, 4:38 PM
That's nice work, Mike. Is the back shiplapped or is it two floating panels? I can't quite tell from the photo.

Thanks, Tom. Those are floating panels all around, 5/8". With only minor changes, the entire design and plans (ordered online) came out of an earlier article in FWW (mentioned somewhere in one of my earlier ramblings). Funny, when I decided to go ahead and build this I was under the mistaken impression that straight-grained Douglas fir would be relatively inexpensive since there's so much of it here in the Pacific Northwest. But that's definitely not the case--it's actually priced higher than prime hard maple or black cherry.