PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Fix

Bob Potter
08-07-2017, 12:34 AM
Hello all
I have a 16" x 32" Ryobi drum sander that I bought I think before 2000. Just before Ryobi stop making it. I bought it from a company called Trend Lines for some wheres around $500.00 with shipping. This made it $300.00 to $400.00 cheaper than at that time a Performax.

They both look about the same except the Performax has a sandpaper conveyor belt and Ryobi has a rubber belt. I adjusted tracking when setting it up and never had to touch it again.

Other than learning how to put the sand paper on and making sure it is caught in the clips it has been a pretty much trouble free sander.
I use it a lot for sanding inlays in box lids and making small parts for furniture.

Well about 6 months ago I went to change the paper and found the left clip the easy one broke.The pin that holds the coil spring out of the other side of the clip. So I removed the paper and found the clip on the right side the unfriendly side also broke.
I was able to remove the left side clip which was not repairable but not the right side.
I found the parts for the sander on line but the clips were discontinued.

So I tried a temperately fix which is double sided tape. I wrapped around the leaving a space in between each wrap. Than I wrapped the sand paper on like you normally would. Than I wrapped 3/4" wide tape around the left and right side. The tape is reinforced tape. Now this leaves me with a 14" each sander instead of 16" and of course no open end sanding.

I started sanding very carefully and slowly putting wider boards though the sander and thank you Lord it works. Don't know if it will last but now I have my sander back. I think with the drum heating up it will help the sand paper stick to the tape on the drum.
I know this is not the proper way to fix this but for the time being it works. If any one has any ideas on fixing it right fire away.
Thanks for listening Bob

John K Jordan
08-07-2017, 6:18 AM
...If any one has any ideas on fixing it right fire away.

I have a Performax, never saw a Ryobi so I can only guess. If it is close to or a copy perhaps the Performax clips will work or could be adapted.

Also, I think the clips on mine are just a piece of steel, a strong spring, and a pivot - no hardened or high precision parts. I haven't looked at mine closely enough but it's hard to imagine something that simple that couldn't be repaired or duplicated. It may be easier for some than others depending on what is at hand (I have machining and welding in my shop) but perhaps you have someone close that can help if you don't' do metalworking.

JKJ

Bob Potter
08-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Thank you John
I looked at the clips for the Performax and wasn't sure they would work but could be worth a try. The clip on the right side motor side I'm not sure how it's held on because there is no bolt showing on the drum. The left side has a counter sunk hole. Any way as long as this works I'm happy.
Bob

Rick Potter
08-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Any chance you could change it to velcro backed paper. Check the Woodmaster site. I think they sell the backer strips, as well as the sandpaper.

If it was wrapped in the right direction, you could possibly use it without any tape on the open end of your sander??

Mike Henderson
08-07-2017, 11:44 AM
A way to get by is to use filament tape on each end of the drum. Wrap the tape completely around the drum covering the end of the sandpaper. You only lose a half inch or so of sanding space on each end.

Mike

Bob Potter
08-07-2017, 5:04 PM
Rick I thought about using Velcro but wasn't sure what you had to do to make the Velcro stay on. I will check with Woodmaster. This sander works so good and is a big help in blending in inlays and of course just smoothing out wood pieces. Thank you Rick

Bob Potter
08-07-2017, 5:08 PM
Mike thank you. I have it wrapped with tape like that. But with out the double sided tape I wasn't sure if the sandpaper would hold but any thing is worth a try. As I said this sander is a life saver in most projects. Bob

John TenEyck
08-07-2017, 5:41 PM
I wonder if Sears ever sold the Ryobi sander under their own brand name? If so, or if they sold it as a Ryobi, they may have spare parts. Worth a look at their parts website.

John