PDA

View Full Version : The Moraivan Work Bench Base is Finished

ken hatch
08-06-2017, 7:47 PM
The base is finished, it just needs trimming and clean up. I'm impressed, even without closing the box, slab not installed, it is rock solid.

I still think I will paint it with a red undercoat and black over coat of milk paint, both to hide the numerous mistakes and mostly the butt ugly DF.

As I have posted before, the design and engineering of the little bench is impressive. From a wood workers view point it is a fun build with brindle joints, through mortises, and housed dovetails along with the tusk tenons and each joint is there because it is the best joint for purpose. If I had all the time in the world to think about and design a portable bench I don't think I could come up with a better design.

Better construction for sure but design not likely.

BTW, the next one will be better and it is such a fun build I expect there will be several more.

From the other side....Click 'em to big 'em.

ken

Noah Magnuson
08-06-2017, 8:39 PM
Looks great. How quickly does it knock down?

ken hatch
08-06-2017, 9:28 PM
Looks great. How quickly does it knock down?

Noah,

The slab and tool tray set on pegs, the vise will be held in place by tenons in a rail mortise and slab mortise, the long stretchers are keyed. Answering the question could take longer than doing. I've seen it done in about one minute to either knock it down or put it together. No tools other than a mallet are needed.
There are 7 modules, other than the slab none are very heavy and even the slab on my build should be less that 50 lbs. It is going to be interesting to put it to work.

One thing I know for sure is it will not "rack", the base is rock solid. It may need sand bags to add weight for heavy planing, if it does, it ain't no big deal as long as the bench doesn't rack.

ken

Mike Baker 2
08-06-2017, 9:46 PM
Nice.
And I think Doug Fir looks great, btw.

David Eisenhauer
08-06-2017, 9:54 PM
Good stuff Ken.

Pat Barry
08-07-2017, 7:45 AM
Very nice job Ken!

ken hatch
08-07-2017, 9:59 AM
Thanks Guys,

Still a bit to go but so far a fun build.

ken

michael langman
08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Looks great Ken. I have always liked the looks and design of the Moravian Bench. Some day I may build one too.

Kees Heiden
08-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Nice! Looks like an excelent design. Do you have pics with the top and vise installed?

ken hatch
08-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Nice! Looks like an excelent design. Do you have pics with the top and vise installed?

Kees,

Not yet. I'm still waiting on the vise screw. I've some clean up of the base to do before I set the slab, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.

ken

Stew Denton
08-07-2017, 8:11 PM
Hi Ken,

It is looking great.

Question, I have been thinking about a portable bench, and thought about the Moravian bench, especially seeing your posts. My question is: if you made a conventional German/Scandanavian style bench, but used the tusk tenon stretchers like in the Moravian bench, would it be as rock solid as the Moravian bench, based on what you are seeing with the Moravian base so far? (This is with the base trussed at 90 degree angles to the bench top, rather than angled out like the Moravian.)

I, and apparently lots of others are looking forward to seeing the rest of the build, and especially the vices. Thanks for the posts so far.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

ken hatch
08-07-2017, 9:07 PM
Hi Ken,

It is looking great.

Question, I have been thinking about a portable bench, and thought about the Moravian bench, especially seeing your posts. My question is: if you made a conventional German/Scandanavian style bench, but used the tusk tenon stretchers like in the Moravian bench, would it be as rock solid as the Moravian bench, based on what you are seeing with the Moravian base so far? (This is with the base trussed at 90 degree angles to the bench top, rather than angled out like the Moravian.)

I, and apparently lots of others are looking forward to seeing the rest of the build, and especially the vices. Thanks for the posts so far.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Stew,

Thanks, I'm the wrong person to ask, the forum engineer would be much better, but I expect a good part of the rigidity comes from the angles. But there are many ways to a solid bench, tusk tenons with a strong slab connection, completing the box, should work as well.

ken

bridger berdel
08-08-2017, 1:02 AM
How will you use it? Your shop doesn't have tons of extra room and already you have 2 benches in there....

ken hatch
08-08-2017, 3:32 AM
How will you use it? Your shop doesn't have tons of extra room and already you have 2 benches in there....

Bridger,

I know, my shop should have a one in, one out rule.

The bench is going to live in the RV to be used only on road trips or off site projects.

I'll find any excuse to build a bench, it's a sickness.

ken.

Brian Holcombe
08-08-2017, 7:29 AM
Really nice Ken, can't wait to see this with the bench top.

ken hatch
08-08-2017, 4:57 PM
Really nice Ken, can't wait to see this with the bench top.

Brian,

Ask and you will receive:

I set the Slab a few minutes ago. I had to give it a go once the slab was installed so I clamped a makeshift stop to the slab, grabbed a hunk of Sapele scrap and the #5 Jack. Not bad, in fact damn good. Bench was rock solid until I started testing to see when it would slide. I did make it slide a little but with zero racking and I would never take a shaven as thick even with the scrub plane. Weight does make a difference, you could push with a Jeep and the English/French bench wouldn't move but it also takes a derrick and a PTO to lift that sucker. It would be pretty hard to carry it in the motorhome:-).

More clean up to go (BTW have I ever told you how much I dislike working with construction grade DF), make a tool tray for the off side, and install the vise once the screw shows up. The fat lady is warming up backstage.

I started the build July 17th, less than a month ago. Not too bad for an older than dirt guy, working in the desert during the Summer, with a bad back and a full time job. That's one of the reasons I've never understood folks taking months or even years to build a work bench. That's my rant for the day, the heat is getting to me and it is time for whisky and chasing MsBubba around the pool.

ken

PS. I forgot to add, the slap is set on four 5/8" dowels, the dowels were placed by "blind pegging".

David Eisenhauer
08-08-2017, 5:17 PM
Nice slab Ken and looks like the bench will be a keeper. I like it but I will admit to some mild skepticism regarding the whole "throw it into the motorhome to use on trips" thing. But, I fully admit it is entirely your own business and I hope it serves you, you MsBubba and the motorhome well.

Graham Haydon
08-08-2017, 5:27 PM
Great stuff, Ken.

Nathan Johnson
08-08-2017, 5:53 PM
It's taking me months to make my bench because I suck at woodworking. Well, that and other things.
Mostly though it's the sucking at woodworking.

I'm treating it as an education. Learning how to use my planes, use my saws, sharpen my tools....ive made several practice mortise and tenon attempts on scrap before touching my bench components.

I really like this bench design though. Been following with great interest.

Stew Denton
08-08-2017, 6:54 PM
Hi Ken,

Say, it is looking pretty good and coming together well!

Are you thinking about putting a tail vise on it?

Stew

ken hatch
08-08-2017, 9:32 PM
It's taking me months to make my bench because I suck at woodworking. Well, that and other things.
Mostly though it's the sucking at woodworking.

I'm treating it as an education. Learning how to use my planes, use my saws, sharpen my tools....ive made several practice mortise and tenon attempts on scrap before touching my bench components.

I really like this bench design though. Been following with great interest.

Nathan,

Work benches are a tool, they do not need to be pretty to work, In fact too pretty distracts because it makes you spend time protecting the bench vs. working on it. My work bench mantra has always been: Build it strong, build it cheep, build it fast, and then build furniture. Build with simple joints and if they are gapy who cares as long as they are strong. Too many folks try to make their first work bench perfect and their last bench. It is a fools errand because until you have worked on a bench you have no way of knowing if it will work for the way you work. Off my box but if I may....Just build it.

Thanks and good luck on your bench build,

ken

ken hatch
08-08-2017, 9:39 PM
Hi Ken,

Say, it is looking pretty good and coming together well!

Are you thinking about putting a tail vise on it?

Stew

Stew,

Thanks.

Nope, I seldom have a need for one. I added a QR to the tail position of my main bench several months ago (mostly because I had a QR vise that needed someplace to live and the tail position was better than under an over crowded cabinet) and I don't think it has been used as a tail vise. I do use it as an overflow vise when the main vise is being used for something else.

ken

Nathan Johnson
08-08-2017, 9:41 PM
Nathan,

Work benches are a tool, they do not need to be pretty to work, In fact too pretty distracts because it makes you spend time protecting the bench vs. working on it. My work bench mantra has always been: Build it strong, build it cheep, build it fast, and then build furniture. Build with simple joints and if they are gapy who cares as long as they are strong. Too many folks try to make their first work bench perfect and their last bench. It is a fools errand because until you have worked on a bench you have no way of knowing if it will work for the way you work. Off my box but if I may....Just build it.

Thanks and good luck on your bench build,

ken

You may, indeed. I've come to that realization myself, although the perfectionist in me is a persistent bugger.
I'm not aiming for pretty...not even Home Depot's finest SPF will allow that.
It's a lot of factors, but it's a hobby and I'm soaking up information as I'm not pressed for time.

I do appreciate the kick in the pants though.

ken hatch
08-08-2017, 9:48 PM
Nice slab Ken and looks like the bench will be a keeper. I like it but I will admit to some mild skepticism regarding the whole "throw it into the motorhome to use on trips" thing. But, I fully admit it is entirely your own business and I hope it serves you, you MsBubba and the motorhome well.

David,

For me the trip is the joy, seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve, been that way all my life. MsBubba endures the trip for the destination. The work bench may help bridge that difference. It should give me something to do while MsBubba and Sweet Maggie Dog go off on their local adventures.

ken

Brian Holcombe
08-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Brian,

Ask and you will receive:

I set the Slab a few minutes ago. I had to give it a go once the slab was installed so I clamped a makeshift stop to the slab, grabbed a hunk of Sapele scrap and the #5 Jack. Not bad, in fact damn good. Bench was rock solid until I started testing to see when it would slide. I did make it slide a little but with zero racking and I would never take a shaven as thick even with the scrub plane. Weight does make a difference, you could push with a Jeep and the English/French bench wouldn't move but it also takes a derrick and a PTO to lift that sucker. It would be pretty hard to carry it in the motorhome:-).

More clean up to go (BTW have I ever told you how much I dislike working with construction grade DF), make a tool tray for the off side, and install the vise once the screw shows up. The fat lady is warming up backstage.

I started the build July 17th, less than a month ago. Not too bad for an older than dirt guy, working in the desert during the Summer, with a bad back and a full time job. That's one of the reasons I've never understood folks taking months or even years to build a work bench. That's my rant for the day, the heat is getting to me and it is time for whisky and chasing MsBubba around the pool.

ken

PS. I forgot to add, the slap is set on four 5/8" dowels, the dowels were placed by "blind pegging".

Awesome, I've heard wonderful things about the Moravian bench with one of my local club members building one. He also has a bench building problem.

Wish I could spare the time for a workbench as it is frankly past due for me to move onto to something else. I keep waiting around hoping to luck into something awesome for the top slab and going from there.

David Eisenhauer
08-08-2017, 10:24 PM
I am with you on seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve. Now that I am retired, I frequently travel to camp and hike in the various national forests and national parks in the mountains and deserts of the southwest. I do not miss the workbench when I am on these trips, but that is just me and I am glad you are able to combine two things that bring a smile to your face.

ken hatch
08-09-2017, 1:51 AM
I am with you on seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve. Now that I am retired, I frequently travel to camp and hike in the various national forests and national parks in the mountains and deserts of the southwest. I do not miss the workbench when I am on these trips, but that is just me and I am glad you are able to combine two things that bring a smile to your face.

David,

I can't let MsBubba see your post, she would have me pulling out the AmEx and trading in the motorhomein a heart beat. BTW, about as neat a pull behind as I've seen but I don't believe there is room for a work bench in it.

Congrats,

ken

ken hatch
08-09-2017, 2:10 AM
Awesome, I've heard wonderful things about the Moravian bench with one of my local club members building one. He also has a bench building problem.

Wish I could spare the time for a workbench as it is frankly past due for me to move onto to something else. I keep waiting around hoping to luck into something awesome for the top slab and going from there.

Brian,

It's good to be able to indulge my sickness. Problem is all my friends that wanted a bench have one and there is no room in the shop for another with out throwing out a perfectly good bench. That's the bad news, the good is my last bench is close to perfect for my work flow and if I ever built another primary bench I do not believe I would change anything about it.

I will build another Moravian bench but with the base out of good hardwood. I expect MsBubba will inherit this one for her studio and it will live outside. Which is one of the reasons I plan on painting the base.

ken

Brian Holcombe
08-09-2017, 10:02 AM
If you get the itch, I'll happily take delivery of a Roubo :) :) :)

Ah, that's a nice idea for the softwood one. I feel you're pain in working with box store material, I've done it a time or two. The best so far I've experienced is green (literally wet) "cedar". It chops cleanly because it is wet, but of course then you have to dry it. I did that recently for my shoji frame (not the shoji or tracks, but the heavy framing), having accounted for the wood movement I was expecting. It does take a serious bit of planning to work around green material, but it can be an advantage as well at times. It works with great ease, I chopped the entire frame out in one half day by hand.

michael langman
08-09-2017, 11:05 AM
You are gonna love that bench Ken. It came out fantastic. Thanks for the post. Michael.

ken hatch
08-13-2017, 5:13 PM
If you get the itch, I'll happily take delivery of a Roubo :) :) :)

Ah, that's a nice idea for the softwood one. I feel you're pain in working with box store material, I've done it a time or two. The best so far I've experienced is green (literally wet) "cedar". It chops cleanly because it is wet, but of course then you have to dry it. I did that recently for my shoji frame (not the shoji or tracks, but the heavy framing), having accounted for the wood movement I was expecting. It does take a serious bit of planning to work around green material, but it can be an advantage as well at times. It works with great ease, I chopped the entire frame out in one half day by hand.

Brian,

Building ain't a problem, shipping is another story :D.

I've been rushed, working wet DF from HD, and all other excuses I can think of, that's my story anyway....In spite of that, bottom line the bench is rock solid, doesn't scoot, doesn't rack but damn it is butt ugly. When we get back from Oregon I expect this bench will belong to MsBubba and her ceramics studio and I'll build another for the Motorhome.

I finished installing the back of the vise this morning. It still needs the mortise for the parallel guide, hole for the vise screw, and the screw nut install but a good part of the vise install is done....Now I just need the screw.

Photo of bench with tool tray and vise back:

ken

James Pallas
08-13-2017, 7:05 PM
Good looking bench Ken. It is hard to wait for ordered items to come in. Makes me antsy and sometimes causes me to rush the finish when the stuff arrives. I usually blow something up and cause more work. I want to see the finish, may have to replace my garage bench.
Jim

ken hatch
08-13-2017, 8:19 PM
Good looking bench Ken. It is hard to wait for ordered items to come in. Makes me antsy and sometimes causes me to rush the finish when the stuff arrives. I usually blow something up and cause more work. I want to see the finish, may have to replace my garage bench.
Jim

James,

I'm impressed with this bench. I would have no problem, with slight changes such as a thicker slab, using it as a main bench. It is that rock solid. A great feature, even if there were no motorhome involved, is the ease of breaking it down into 7 modules and then putting it back together in minutes. As an example while I love my English/French bench if it needs moving I need help. With the Moravian bench you can take it apart and then put it back together where needed and not give up function. I wish I had found it years ago.

I expect over the next couple of years to build several more just for grins,

ken

Brian Holcombe
08-13-2017, 9:41 PM
Looks nice Ken!! I'm pretty sold on the morovian, it's a neat piece and helps to get you to work more quickly than the Roubo's of late which are often monstrous. I can't help but enjoy the sex appeal of Roubo style benches however.

ken hatch
08-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Looks nice Ken!! I'm pretty sold on the morovian, it's a neat piece and helps to get you to work more quickly than the Roubo's of late which are often monstrous. I can't help but enjoy the sex appeal of Roubo style benches however.

Brian,

Fashion is a funny thing...I've seen style of benches come and go over the years. Bottom line they almost all work and all have good and not so good points. But I must say the current Roubo fad of building it thicker and heavier than your neighbor's Roubo is a little much. It is like we are all back in Jr. High claiming to have the biggest in school. My English/French bench (Roubo bones with an apron and a QR metal vise) could have been made much lighter. I'll post in imperial because that is the way most on the forum think, The legs are 5"X6", the slab is 4" thick, and the stretchers are 5"X4". Every one of those dimensions could be reduced by at least 1" with no loss of function or stability. All that said, other than a PITA to move, it is near perfect for my use. If I were to build another main bench I expect it would be a clone of the current one but maybe a little lighter.

I can see building several Moravian benches for different functions like assembly, planing, or cutting joinery and keeping them stored disassembled until needed. It could open up the shop.

ken

Brian Holcombe
08-13-2017, 10:46 PM
I completely agree, while the really hefty ones are cool in some ways I really have no trouble chopping on a 3" thick piece of oak. While 5" and 6" are something to behold, I can't imagine they're practically superior to 3" and 4" bench tops. I could see 4" thick bench tops as being practically important on a longer bench.

My highest preference for a bench top would be one that avoids a glue up! Beyond that I really wouldn't mind the details. I'm starting to see 20-22" wide, 4" thick and 9' long as being something of an ideal.

ken hatch
08-14-2017, 8:15 AM
I completely agree, while the really hefty ones are cool in some ways I really have no trouble chopping on a 3" thick piece of oak. While 5" and 6" are something to behold, I can't imagine they're practically superior to 3" and 4" bench tops. I could see 4" thick bench tops as being practically important on a longer bench.

My highest preference for a bench top would be one that avoids a glue up! Beyond that I really wouldn't mind the details. I'm starting to see 20-22" wide, 4" thick and 9' long as being something of an ideal.

Brian,

My current bench is 8'3", another 9" would be nice but would crowd the shop. The top is a two piece slab with the working slab 14 1/2" wide plus 2" for the English style apron for a total working area of 16 1/2". I've never wanted more. The back slab is 71/2" with a 21/4" split & removable fill for a total working surface of 99"X261/2". It is a good size for my work and shop. If I were to build another bench I expect the design and dimensions would remain unchanged except I would lose the 'fill" and go with a 1/2" split with no removable fill. The split is handy for holding squares, chisels, and saws but the fill is never moved. The split also helps in the build, I can't conceive of working with a 99'X26"X4" hunk of Oak or Beech by myself.

BTW, my Moxon vise lives on the "off" end of the back slab and I never move it because it has never been in the way.

As I have posted before I kissed a few frogs getting to this bench and I think that is a necessary journey for any woodworker. There is no way to know what your bench needs until you work on one or several. That's the major reason my advice to new bench builders is build it cheap, fast, and strong. Then get to work making furniture, after a year or so make another bench cheap, fast and strong changing all the things that drive you bat poo crazy about the old bench. By the third or fourth bench make your dream bench, you should know what it is by then.

Rants over, back on my meds for now,

ken

Brian Holcombe
08-14-2017, 8:24 AM
I think you're right on, that is excellent advice, I built my current bench thinking it would cover my needs permanently but don't consider it to be anywhere near ideal currently.

That is the big PITA with regard to full on Roubo benches, IMO, you need help in building them which is very hard to come by in some shops. I have a planing beam that is 12" x 3" x 72" white oak....it's not that heavy (about 60lbs) but given the awkwardness of moving it, it has proven to me that a giant bench top would be quite a challenge to deal with.

Nathan Johnson
08-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Brian,

My current bench is 8'3", another 9" would be nice but would crowd the shop. The top is a two piece slab with the working slab 14 1/2" wide plus 2" for the English style apron for a total working area of 16 1/2". I've never wanted more. The back slab is 71/2" with a 21/4" split & removable fill for a total working surface of 99"X261/2". It is a good size for my work and shop. If I were to build another bench I expect the design and dimensions would remain unchanged except I would lose the 'fill" and go with a 1/2" split with no removable fill. The split is handy for holding squares, chisels, and saws but the fill is never moved. The split also helps in the build, I can't conceive of working with a 99'X26"X4" hunk of Oak or Beech by myself.

BTW, my Moxon vise lives on the "off" end of the back slab and I never move it because it has never been in the way.

As I have posted before I kissed a few frogs getting to this bench and I think that is a necessary journey for any woodworker. There is no way to know what your bench needs until you work on one or several. That's the major reason my advice to new bench builders is build it cheap, fast, and strong. Then get to work making furniture, after a year or so make another bench cheap, fast and strong changing all the things that drive you bat poo crazy about the old bench. By the third or fourth bench make your dream bench, you should know what it is by then.

Rants over, back on my meds for now,

ken

Per your last part, that's what I decided to do. Cheap SPF, a fairly simple design that allows for good clamping, and a metal front vise.

This Moravian design though has me thinking about one as a small second bench. Like, 40-some inches high as a dedicated joinery bench. Hmm.

Mark Fisher
08-19-2017, 8:51 PM
I made the same bench. As a mechanical engineer I appreciated the angled legs as a way to get much more stiffness without a lot of material or weight. If you want a portable bench, this is a much better way to go as it is reasonably light yet stiff and sturdy. The only things I'd change is to make a smaller tool tray with a wider bench top and a hardwood bench top. It is really an amazing design.

ken hatch
08-19-2017, 11:52 PM
I made the same bench. As a mechanical engineer I appreciated the angled legs as a way to get much more stiffness without a lot of material or weight. If you want a portable bench, this is a much better way to go as it is reasonably light yet stiff and sturdy. The only things I'd change is to make a smaller tool tray with a wider bench top and a hardwood bench top. It is really an amazing design.

Mark,

When I started building the bench I was looking for portability and not really expecting a bench that would be as good as a non-portable bench. As I got farther into the build I began to appreciate just how well the bench was engineered. My bench will break down into seven modules, non of which will weigh more than 50 lbs and all will fit into a single Motorhome storage compartment. The best part is it is rock solid, I've planed on it and have chopped mortises on it. While it is not as solid as my French/English bench it's close and weights about a third of the big bench.

You may not like my slab it is only 280mm wide and the tool tray is a good bit wider but I seldom have a problem needing a wider work surface. For my planed use it should be OK, the wider tool try is just 'because' :).

Here is a photo of the newly installed planing stop and dog holes for the holdfasts. The battery on my Fujiflim X-Pro1 camera is dead so the photo was made using an iPhone. The dog holes really are vertical in spite of looking like they were drilled at 45 degrees in the image. All I need to finish the build is the vise screw, UPS says Tuesday for delivery, I hope so because time is getting short for the Labor Day Oregon trip.

Anyway here is a photo:

ken

ken hatch
08-20-2017, 12:17 AM
Per your last part, that's what I decided to do. Cheap SPF, a fairly simple design that allows for good clamping, and a metal front vise.

This Moravian design though has me thinking about one as a small second bench. Like, 40-some inches high as a dedicated joinery bench. Hmm.

Nathan,

Good on you, I hate to read about bench builds that go on for months or even years.

ken

Stew Denton
08-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Ken,

The top really looks great! To me the bench would be pretty awesome as a main bench, so for a portable it is incredible.

How long and wide is the top, and of that width, how much is the tool well? In the photo, it looks like the plank is wider than the well, but if I am reading your previous post correctly, it looks like you are saying the well is actually wider than the slab.

I am looking forward to the photo with the vise installed, and hope it does come in on Tuesday so we can get to see the final product before you head out.

Are you planning to put some finish on it before leaving for the trip?

I am enjoying the progress a lot.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

ken hatch
08-21-2017, 1:17 PM
Ken,

The top really looks great! To me the bench would be pretty awesome as a main bench, so for a portable it is incredible.

How long and wide is the top, and of that width, how much is the tool well? In the photo, it looks like the plank is wider than the well, but if I am reading your previous post correctly, it looks like you are saying the well is actually wider than the slab.

I am looking forward to the photo with the vise installed, and hope it does come in on Tuesday so we can get to see the final product before you head out.

Are you planning to put some finish on it before leaving for the trip?

I am enjoying the progress a lot.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Stew,

I can see this bench as a main bench if made with a 75mm (3") slab instead of the 50mm (2") one. The slab is 260mm (10+") wide X 1700mm (5'7" ish), the tool tray is 305mm (12") wide because that was the board on hand.

I seldom put anything on the top of my benches other than some oil.

Thanks,

ken

Stanley Covington
08-26-2017, 12:06 AM
Ken:

It looks beautiful and very useful!

I'm not being critical, just seeking greater light and knowledge.

Questions:

1. The legs themselves are large, relatively rigid posts, that do not require midspan support to resist buckling. Is that an accurate statement?

2. In this case, since you haven't incorporated diagonal braces, spreading and racking forces are resisted by the 3 rails. Is that the plan?

3. 90 degree rails can only resist racking forces through their resistance to bending forces. Wider/thicker rails will naturally be stiffer and better resist bending forces than narrow ones. Why is the bottom rail relatively smaller and less rigid than than the others? Do you experience reduced racking forces at the bottom?

4. Racking forces (couple) are transmitted to the rails via the joints, of course, and the degree those forces are transmitted is directly dependent on the rigidity (resistance to rotation) of the joints at each end. The top rail uses a bridle joint which is relatively rigid. The middle rails uses an M&T joint, which is also relatively rigid. The bottom rail is secured with (pinned?) inlet dovetail joints, which do not resist rotation as effectively. Why not use M&T? Appearance?

Thanks,

Stan

ken hatch
08-26-2017, 1:23 AM
Ken:

It looks beautiful and very useful!

I'm not being critical, just seeking greater light and knowledge.

Questions:

1. The legs themselves are large, relatively rigid posts, that do not require midspan support to resist buckling. Is that an accurate statement?

2. In this case, since you haven't incorporated diagonal braces, spreading and racking forces are resisted by the 3 rails. Is that the plan?

3. 90 degree rails can only resist racking forces through their resistance to bending forces. Wider/thicker rails will naturally be stiffer and better resist bending forces than narrow ones. Why is the bottom rail relatively smaller and less rigid than than the others? Do you experience reduced racking forces at the bottom?

4. Racking forces (couple) are transmitted to the rails via the joints, of course, and the degree those forces are transmitted is directly dependent on the rigidity (resistance to rotation) of the joints at each end. The top rail uses a bridle joint which is relatively rigid. The middle rails uses an M&T joint, which is also relatively rigid. The bottom rail is secured with (pinned?) inlet dovetail joints, which do not resist rotation as effectively. Why not use M&T? Appearance?

Thanks,

Stan

Stan,

No problem, I'm not very sensitive:).

The bench is a very close copy of a Moravian jointer's portable bench. Those were the joints he used for his bench. I figured if it worked for him why change anything plus I was working under tight time constrants. BTW, I went into the build just wanting a small, light weight bench that could fit in one of the motorhome's bins. Not expecting too much from the bench but it turns out with a slightly thicker slab the bench could easily be a main bench.

I've been using the bench today to make the tool tray for the Japanese style tool box. It is rock solid even with the thin slab. I've sawed boards to length, planed edges true and smoothed, plowed grooves, sawed, chopped and pared dovetails and every job was a pleasure. I'm impressed, I've even enjoyed using the leg vise and I've never been a leg vise fan.

I think when I build the next one, and I expect there will be another once back from Oregon, I will build it with a glued up thicker and slightly wider slab. The bottom rail may change to a M&T and I will use a prettier wood for the base. Most of the decisions made for this build were to save time. Even with all that I only finished with a week to spare.

ken

Stanley Covington
08-26-2017, 1:29 AM
Stan,

No problem, I'm not very sensitive:).

The bench is a very close copy of a Moravian jointer's portable bench. Those were the joints he used for his bench. I figured if it worked for him why change anything plus I was working under tight time constrants. BTW, I went into the build just wanting a small, light weight bench that could fit in one of the motorhome's bins. Not expecting too much from the bench but it turns out with a slightly thicker slab the bench could easily be a main bench.

I've been using the bench today to make the tool tray for the Japanese style tool box. It is rock solid even with the thin slab. I've sawed boards to length, planed edges true and smoothed, plowed grooves, sawed, chopped and pared dovetails and every job was a pleasure. I'm impressed, I've even enjoyed using the leg vise and I've never been a leg vise fan.

I think when I build the next one, and I expect there will be another once back from Oregon, I will build it with a glued up thicker and slightly wider slab. The bottom rail may change to a M&T and I will use a prettier wood for the base. Most of the decisions made for this build were to save time. Even with all that I only finished with a week to spare.

ken

Thanks for the clarification Ken. Now I understand the design. The important thing is that it works well, which it clearly does.

But will you have time to use it while on the road in between driving and whisky and tacos? :D

Stan

ken hatch
08-26-2017, 1:54 AM
Thanks for the clarification Ken. Now I understand the design. The important thing is that it works well, which it clearly does.

But will you have time to use it while on the road in between driving and whisky and tacos? :D

Stan

Stan,

You forgot ball throwing and doggie butt scratching :). If I find time to put it together and to open the tool box I'll be happy. With that I figure it will be worth a few free whisky's and conversations with the neighbors.

ken

Stanley Covington
08-26-2017, 8:09 AM
Stan,

You forgot ball throwing and doggie butt scratching :). If I find time to put it together and to open the tool box I'll be happy. With that I figure it will be worth a few free whisky's and conversations with the neighbors.

ken

A workbench, a toolbox of well-tuned and happy tools, a wiggling doggy with a butt in need of scratching, and the occasional jar of free libation. Life is sweet!