PDA

View Full Version : Degreasers

Dan Friedrichs
08-06-2017, 12:02 AM
I've tried Simple Green, citrus-based degreasers, "purple" degreaser, fancy engine degreaser....and they never seem to really do anything, no matter what I use them on. They smell bad and I'm always left feeling like I don't think they're working.

So, tell me your degreaser success stories - about the thing you needed to clean and the product that made you say, "Wow - nothing except [blank] could have done the job".

Mac McQuinn
08-06-2017, 12:24 AM
I've had decent luck with this product, possibly a healthier method of cleaning items.
https://www.biokleen.com/engine-degreaser

Mac

Frederick Skelly
08-06-2017, 9:34 AM
GoJo hand cleaner always works for me.

Jerome Stanek
08-06-2017, 1:33 PM
What are you trying to degrease

John K Jordan
08-06-2017, 2:37 PM
What are you trying to degrease

I second this - you might give a hint what you want to degrease.

For many mechanical things around the shop and farm (vehicle components, hydraulic pumps, etc.) my favorite degeaser is brake cleaner in spray cans. This is easy to use, washes away the grease, and dries extremely quickly. I watch for sales and buy it by the case, usually from the auto parts stores.

JKJ

Rick Moyer
08-07-2017, 8:10 AM
I second this - you might give a hint what you want to degrease.

For many mechanical things around the shop and farm (vehicle components, hydraulic pumps, etc.) my favorite degeaser is brake cleaner in spray cans. This is easy to use, washes away the grease, and dries extremely quickly. I watch for sales and buy it by the case, usually from the auto parts stores.

JKJ
Just be careful breathing brake cleaner fumes, they're nasty for your health

Matt Meiser
08-07-2017, 9:22 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I haven't found Simple Green to be too offensive as long as you don't breathe in the mist, a good rule in general!

Brake cleaner is great for a lot of stuff. I do it over the big roller trash can which pretty much contains the crud and the mist. Even the non-chlorinated stuff seems to do a decent job.

Super Clean works wonders. But full strength it will burn your skin and it will damage or even remove paint. When it first came out in the early 90's I worked at an auto parts store and we tried it on some of the typical store shelving and removed paint. I then used it on the engine compartment of an early 1980's Mustang I was repainting several years ago and it removed the paint down to the E-Coat which was fine by me in that case. Same with the bottom of the car, but I got chemical burns on my arms from the stuff that ran down my arms--not even just sunburn-like burns. They blistered and scabbed up in several areas. It was bad. I still use it today but with caution.

Meguiars Super Degreaser has a pleasant perfume added and seems to work pretty good. Part of their professional line of products, 1 gallon of concentrate makes many ready-to-use. Part number D108. I just used this on the engine compartment of the car we bought my daughter--warmed up the engine until it was warm (not hot), sprayed everything down with this and let it dwell, then carefully pressure washed where I could safely and rinsed the rest and got it pretty darn clean with little actual work. You won't find this at a big box or chain auto parts store but its readily available online.

Another cleaner that's shockingly good for the price is Awesome, sold at Dollar General and Family Dollar for, you guessed it, $1. More of an all-purpose cleaner than a degreaser but it will cut light grease.

John K Jordan
08-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Just be careful breathing brake cleaner fumes, they're nasty for your health

Good point, of course. Degreasing is done outside, my preference for disassembling and rebuilding things, usually over gravel. I built a roofed porch over concrete on the shop for working on things as needed.

JKJ

andy bessette
08-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Nearly ran out of ideas while trying to get the burned cutting oil and metal chip coating off my ancient milling machine. Finally discovered S100 Motorcycle Wheel Cleaner!

Bruce Wrenn
08-07-2017, 9:26 PM
Plus 1 on Totally Awesome, but Greased Lightening make Awesome look like water as far as degreasing. Lowes GL in FIVE GALLON containers, for a little over $25.

Dan Friedrichs
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, now I'm trying to remember what it was that I was trying to degrease.... :)

I'm thinking of things like: old drill press quill with caked on grease, cosmoline on new equipment, gear oil leak on a truck rear differential, etc.

Bruce, you mentioned Greased Lightening - that's one I tried based on good Amazon reviews, but just didn't find anything that it seemed to work on. I guess it just....sorta worked....but I expected something more impressive?

I imagine any of the "lighter" hydrocarbon-based cleaners (brake cleaner, etc) would be more like what I'm looking for, but I always feel bad using those too liberally.

Mac McQuinn
08-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Well, now I'm trying to remember what it was that I was trying to degrease.... :)

I'm thinking of things like: old drill press quill with caked on grease, cosmoline on new equipment, gear oil leak on a truck rear differential, etc.

Bruce, you mentioned Greased Lightening - that's one I tried based on good Amazon reviews, but just didn't find anything that it seemed to work on. I guess it just....sorta worked....but I expected something more impressive?

I imagine any of the "lighter" hydrocarbon-based cleaners (brake cleaner, etc) would be more like what I'm looking for, but I always feel bad using those too liberally.

A well fitted, quality respirator with appropriate filters and gloves should provide some peace of mind.
Mac

John K Jordan
08-09-2017, 11:56 AM
A well fitted, quality respirator with appropriate filters and nitrile gloves should provide some peace of mind.
Mac

This is what I use for spraying chemicals on the farm and other things I don't want to breathe, with filters for volitiles instead of dust, bought from Amazon:

Great for keeping smoke out of the eyes too.

JKJ

Dan Friedrichs
08-09-2017, 11:59 AM
I actually have one of those, John! It is very useful (especially with the P100 cartridges with "nuisance" organic vapor filtration)

Peter Christensen
08-09-2017, 12:17 PM
I trained to be an aircraft mechanic over 40 years ago so I'm old school and clean oils and greases with Varsol, Stoddard solvent, mineral spirits etc. After that if the surface needs to be chemically clean for paint or sealing I use Acetone. I never let the "drippings" fall onto the ground as it keeps moving downwards and pollutes the groundwater. Collected oils and solvent can be added to used oil for recycling.

Mike Hollingsworth
08-09-2017, 1:33 PM
I've tried Simple Green, citrus-based degreasers, "purple" degreaser, fancy engine degreaser....and they never seem to really do anything, no matter what I use them on.

My experience is the opposite.
I've found that overnight soaking in any of these will take grease and paint off just about anything.

Ole Anderson
08-09-2017, 1:54 PM
Don't underestimate using plain old Dawn dish washing detergent. If it can clean crude oil off of fur and feathers, you know it works. Amazes me how quickly it will completely cut bacon and hamburger grease with just warm water. But for the caked on automotive type grease, brake cleaner with a stiff bristle cleaning brush is my go-to.

Kev Williams
08-11-2017, 3:22 PM
Castrol Super-Clean is the boss of all purple degreasers, and IMO degreasers in general. And it works on GREASE. Dirt and other grime & stuff, not so much. It's essentially liquid oven cleaner, has plenty of lye in it, both will etch 50 series aluminum and turn it white. Will mess up anodized aluminum too if memory serves... Get the stuff on your hands and and within seconds it'll emulsify all the oil in your skin, leaving it dryer than rawhide strips and you running for the lotion bottle. Wear gloves :)

Matt Day
08-11-2017, 10:06 PM
+1 Kev. Super Clean is good stuff. Just wear good gloves!