PDA

View Full Version : Large Tenon Saw

lowell holmes
08-05-2017, 9:48 PM
I decided that I needed a large tenon saw. I ordered a kit from Ron Bontz for a 16X4 saw plate plate, back, and saw nuts. A nice saw with a curly maple handle is the result. Here is the saw.
I did this maybe two years ago. I can cut long and straight tenons with this saw, and I do. I am partial to curly maple handles.:)

Michael J Evans
08-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Nice job Lowell.
I have to ask was the handle done entirely by hand?

lowell holmes
08-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Michael, it was shaped on a band saw and rounded with a router . The remainder was by hand.
I am not a purist hand tool woodworker. I use the tools that suit the job.
The holes were with brace and bit and the fine shaping with rasp, shaves, and gouges.

I made a tenon saw because I need a tenon saw.:)

Nathan Johnson
08-05-2017, 11:04 PM
I like the elegance of the handle, especially near the bottom. Is that your design, or borrowed in some way?

lowell holmes
08-05-2017, 11:27 PM
I have AutoCad. I drew the handle using it and printed the handle. I then glued the print to a blank of wood.
I shaped the outside of the handle on the bandsaw. I drilled two holes for the finger opening. I joined the
curve of the finger opening with a coping saw. I uses gouges and chisels to carve the lambs tongue and
other notches.

I used a brace and bit to make the holes. It was a power tool and hand tool operation. Some wood workers
say the Band saw is a hand tool. I don't agree with that, but in my mind, it is a hand tool's cousin.

I don't apologize for using both. It does require substantial hand skills to make the handle. I could do
it all by hand, but I'm too lazy.:) I really do not like to use a coping saw if I can avoid it.

Michael J Evans
08-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Lowell,
Please do not think my question was at all meant to be durogitory or insinuate something. I am generally curious, I have thought about making a handle but don't have a band or scroll saw and was curious how people do it.

Mel Fulks
08-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Beautiful wood and distinctive design there.

Nathan Johnson
08-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Makes no difference to me what tools you used to make it...i just think it looks really nice. :)

Andrey Kharitonkin
08-06-2017, 9:18 AM
Nice Looping saw! I hope I can make one as well one day. There is two day course on making backsaw in my area for about $250 including materials, which are about $30.

David Eisenhauer
08-06-2017, 10:05 AM
That looks like a winner Lowell. Does the back come attached to the plate or do you have to do that?

Stewie Simpson
08-06-2017, 10:10 AM
://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/my%20backsaw%20builds/_DSC0069_zpsaerdaaim.jpg.html]http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/my%20backsaw%20builds/_DSC0069_zpsaerdaaim.jpg[/URL]

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/my%20backsaw%20builds/_DSC0068_zpsryzsqtz7.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/my%20backsaw%20builds/_DSC0068_zpsryzsqtz7.jpg.html)

steven c newman
08-06-2017, 10:15 AM
I do have an 18" long one..hanging up in the overhead til.....gathering dust.....I do not do Tenons big enough to warrent using that big of a saw. However, I do have a GEM folding mitre box that it works just fine in..

Pete Taran
08-06-2017, 6:02 PM
Stewart,

Interesting that you put your saws nuts on the opposite side of the handle than is customary. Was there a reason?

Frederick Skelly
08-06-2017, 6:41 PM
Nice saw Lowell! Love the curly maple. I'm going to build one of Ron's kits someday. What will you be building with this new saw - got another great grandchild coming that needs a rocker? Or something else?

Stewie, beautiful work as always!

Fred

Stewie Simpson
08-06-2017, 7:08 PM
Stewart,

Interesting that you put your saws nuts on the opposite side of the handle than is customary. Was there a reason?

Pete; I am left handed.

lowell holmes
08-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Lowell,
Please do not think my question was at all meant to be derogatory or insinuate something. I am generally curious, I have thought about making a handle but don't have a band or scroll saw and was curious how people do it.

Michael, I did not take your comment to be derogatory.

lowell holmes
08-06-2017, 11:17 PM
That looks like a winner Lowell. Does the back come attached to the plate or do you have to do that?

David,
I attached the brass back to the saw plate with epoxy. It has held with no failure. I think sometimes the back is squeezed somehow. IIRC, Ron said to use epoxy.

lowell holmes
08-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Nice Looping saw! I hope I can make one as well one day. There is two day course on making backsaw in my area for about $250 including materials, which are about $30.

Andy,
I had never made a saw before. I had made replacement handles. I suggest you make a handle for an old saw you already have for practice. I designed the handle using AutoCad.
If you do not have cad, make a scale drawing by hand. It is a fun project.

lowell holmes
08-06-2017, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Frederick Skelly;2714658]Nice saw Lowell! Love the curly maple. I'm going to build one of Ron's kits someday. What will you be building with this new saw - got another great grandchild coming that needs a rocker? Or something else?

Frederick,
It is interesting you mentioned rockers. I made Paul Sellers design, Brazos Rocker years back. All of my children and one grandchild have rocking chairs I have designed and built.

lowell holmes
08-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Pete; I am left handed.

Stewie, I write left handed, but everything else I do is right handed. I am all screwed up.

Stewie Simpson
08-07-2017, 1:32 AM
David,
I attached the brass back to the saw plate with epoxy. It has held with no failure. I think sometimes the back is squeezed somehow. IIRC, Ron said to use epoxy.

Lowell; I use Loctite for my slotted backs. Adheres well, and if required the slotted back can be later removed with a few firm taps of the hammer and a short length of brass stock to ease it from the saw plate.

Stewie;

Stewie Simpson
08-07-2017, 1:33 AM
Stewie, I write left handed, but everything else I do is right handed. I am all screwed up.

Lowell; I am left handed with most tasks.

michael langman
08-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Beautiful saw Lowell.

lowell holmes
08-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Lowell; I use Loctite for my slotted backs. Adheres well, and if required the slotted back can be later removed with a few firm taps of the hammer and a short length of brass stock to ease it from the saw plate.

Stewie;

Actually Stewie,
I misspoke, I also used Loctite. I do that a lot these days, age does that to you. I'm sure I am the only one in this forum that does that.

And also, visit http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ to see examples of saws.