PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 6:59 AM
Yet another piece of wood from my friend Jim Ketron. Jim always manages to find pretty wood and he very generously shares it with his less fortunate friends. Thanks Jim!;)

This rich dark walnut bowl is a smidgeon under 8" in diameter and a little over 3 3/4" tall. Jim gave me this wood at Dick Parr's picnic. I roughed it green, soaked it in alcohol and just finished it up.

Mark Cothren
10-28-2005, 7:43 AM
That's a dandy, Mike! I really like that shape. You made the Walnut look great, too.

Hey - where's the lid??? :confused: ;)

Thanks for the picture!

Dick Parr
10-28-2005, 8:03 AM
That is a really nice looking bowl Mike, Great Job!:)

Kurt Aebi
10-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Another REAL NICE job, Mike!

Nice shape, finish and of course the wood - you captured the character well. - Not all that easy to do with walnut!

Glenn Hodges
10-28-2005, 1:30 PM
Daggone pretty bowl! I do like walnut, and the lines and finish makes this one a winner. What type of finish did you use? When was this gettogether I keep hearing about? Sounds like you all had a great time, and with all the wood you all got made it worth the trip.

Keith Burns
10-28-2005, 2:33 PM
Mike, I don't know quite how to respond to this one. It is absolutely beautiful in it's simplicity. Great form and finish.

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 3:01 PM
Thank you all!

Glenn, Dick Parr hosted a picnic for a few members of another forum at his house and shop for two days in July. We did a lot of turning on Dick's new DVR and had a gift and wood exchange. Several people brought green wood and I loaded my car up with that. I brought some exotics in both bowl and platter blanks and we traded them. I brought some big soaking tubs for alcohol drying. We also bought a bunch of sandpaper in bulk, the hook and loop sheets a meter wide, and divided that up. We did demonstations for each other on bowls, natural edges and boxes. We also had a mini-instant gallery of each other's work. We ate well, had a lot of fun and ended it with a wonderful barbecue in Dick's backyard with all the fixin's. It was great!!!!

Jim had set aside a lot of blanks with my name on them as we had discussions prior to the picnic about some things that I wanted so he was the primary filler of the back of my SUV.

All in all it was a great weekend!!!!!

Oh, almost forgot, I use an oil/varnish mixture thinned down with mineral spirits to finish with directly on the lathe and more or less friction polish multiple coats on my work rubbing it down between coats with non-abrasive white pads and cheesecloth.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-28-2005, 4:19 PM
Awesome bowls, Mike. Jim's wood really makes me drool.

Bruce

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 4:35 PM
Hi Mike,

That's a great bowl. I love the shape and the color is perfect!

Jim Ketron
10-28-2005, 4:42 PM
Nice Job Mike! wonderful form and finish!
That was some wood that had a state park boundary tag on it, and the only st. park in Scott Co. is Natural Tunnel, so thats must be where it came from. I have a few bowls from this wood and it is dark also.

John Hart
10-29-2005, 6:00 AM
Nice Bowl Mike....I like your finishing technique. I'll have to give that a go!:)