PDA

View Full Version : Madrone with Lichtenberg Pryography

Steve Doerr
08-04-2017, 10:50 AM
I know AAW has come out and strongly encouraged turners not to use the Lichtenberg pyrography technique to embellish their turnings. I read the article in this month’s American Woodturner and found it to be very informative and a GREAT reminder of the dangers this technique has. That being said, I believe that I do take the necessary precautions to ensure that I follow the necessary safety precautions when I use this process. With that being said, I have attached two pictures of two of my most recent turning using the Lichtenberg pyrography technique. Both turning are from some Madrone that I pick up from Reed Gray (aka Robohippy) at the national symposium in KC this year. Both were turned while the wood was still very green and thus have some wonderful movement in them. The first turning is 11 ¼” W x 3”H. The second turning is 11 ½”W x 10 ¼”D x 2 ¼”H. C&C welcomed.
365294 365295

John K Jordan
08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I know AAW has come out and strongly encouraged turners not to use the Lichtenberg pyrography technique to embellish their turnings. ...I believe that I do take the necessary precautions to ensure that I follow the necessary safety precautions when I use this process.

I like them, especially as you used the effect sparingly and positioned with intent. Some I see are the opposite of "less is more".

We all do things that are dangerous if we don't take the proper precautions. If total safety was the AAWs honest concern they should probably come out against turning things from large blanks. The focus on the electrical issue is probably because so many people are clueless and already know everything.

JKJ