PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal for A Cat?

Jim Koepke
08-03-2017, 5:23 PM
One of our cats would sometimes walk up the driveway with me when I went to check the mail.

Recently, a new cat showed up and we have taken him in. He is even more likely to go for a walk with my wife or me. He will even go for a long walk with my wife down the road or with me down the trail behind our house.

jtk

Mel Fulks
08-03-2017, 5:47 PM
Normal for an extra fine cat. Look at some of the cat things on you tube.

lowell holmes
08-03-2017, 6:55 PM
My cat doesn't walk with me, but she sure would like to sleep with me.

We had a black cat that my wife found under her car when she was using jumper cables. We named him "Cable".

He would follow us like a dog does. He had a loud purr.

There was a squirrel that would come down the tree in our front yard and tease him. Then one day,
day the cat hit the tree above the squirrel and had him.

He lived 12 years. I buried him in the back yard.

We have a cat and two dogs now. They are all spoiled.

julian abram
08-03-2017, 7:02 PM
Not sure there is a "normal" for a cat.

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2017, 7:36 PM
Two dogs and a cat. All three would follow me Single file to the shop every morning.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2017, 8:20 PM
When I was much younger we had a cat that would walk with us on a leash.

We also had a cat that would come when you stepped out side and yelled his name.

Our current cat would fetch little flying spinners that I could launch across the room. He also greets everyone that comes to the door and he will sit up to take treats from your fingers.

Bill McNiel
08-03-2017, 8:32 PM
In my experience there is nothing "normal" about anything regarding cats.

Marc Jeske
08-03-2017, 8:34 PM
Is there such a thing as Cat videos on the Webternintrarnet?

If so, what will they think of next ?????

There can be exceptions, but my experience Dogs give better wet kisses... IMHO.

Jim - Sounds like you have a Keeper Cat. Marc

Sam Murdoch
08-03-2017, 8:41 PM
I enjoyed the companionship of several cats that would join me for walkabouts. Very fun to walk in the woods with a stealthy animal and watch it respond to that world. Our last woods walker would only walk so far and then sit and howl a bit - for us to stop and rest or change direction to go home. If we just stopped to acknowledge him and then continued he would reluctantly come along too. :D I am very fond of cats as company.

Marc Jeske
08-03-2017, 8:46 PM
At hazard of being banned, I believe - If anybody doubts the existence of God, look into the loving eyes and actions of a domesticated animal, and THEN tell me Love from God does not exist.

I have had Dogs all my life, a few very Precious ones have passed, currently have four little ones, all under 20 lbs.

Ages vary, oldest 15, youngest 1.5.

Three of them "rescues"

All sleep on LR couch, under a comforter if they wish.

And are with us all day.

And we buy those 79 cent/ lb 10 lb bags of chicken and cook soup w and carrots and broccoli to freeze monthly in dayly serve baggies, added to good quality dry food.

They do make housekeeping more involved, but that's all good all told.

Wonderful creations, all with different personalities,.... Our companion Animals, no matter what they are, .... Wonderful Gifts.

I talk too much, Marc

Jebediah Eckert
08-03-2017, 8:52 PM
Not sure there is a "normal" for a cat.

Haha +1 for sure. I had a cat who would come down and sit in front of the TV when the Andy Griffith show came on. We joked the cat had two families. It would disappear for a few days then come back for a few days. If I ever got worried I could whistle the theme to the Andy Griffith show and she would come running.....I miss a Betty.

Marc Jeske
08-03-2017, 9:06 PM
Well, that makes total sense.

The Cat knew Anj and Barn had it goin on.

That's what Ope learned from, and ...notice.. he seemed to turn out OK.

Add Clint Eastwood, and you got ALL a growin Boy (or Cat) needs.

Marc

Marc Jeske
08-03-2017, 9:11 PM
Back to Woodworking now before I get banned. Marc

Bruce Wrenn
08-03-2017, 9:28 PM
In my experience there is nothing "normal" about anything regarding cats.Dogs have owners, cats have staff! Proud owner of a brindle pit bull. Lovingest dog we have ever owned!

Wayne Lomman
08-04-2017, 4:34 AM
I'm the interests of protecting the local birdlife we have a large cat enclosure to house our crowd of Siamese and self-tamed feral cats (the boys are neutered) They are cute and friendly to any human. Walk in there to feed them or just spend time and they are all over you. Feed them a freshly culled turkey or chook, and watch them instantly turn into small wild lions. The contrast is unbelievable. Our cats consume left over goat milk and sundry culled livestock. Average age at death is 17 and they still have all their teeth. They are just part of our farm. They have a purpose like any other animal. Geese, on the other hand... Cheers

michael langman
08-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Our cat Belle liked to go for walks in the woods with my wife. She loved the daily walk and became more of her natural self.

My wife would hunt for mushrooms, and Belle would sit down in front of a mushroom she had found till my wife came to investigate.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-04-2017, 10:58 PM
We had two barn cats that were litter mates. One tiny girl with VERY long hair and her brother that was on the small size too and had short hair. They would come running from the fields if I whistled for them. They made it to 15 years old. They would follow me anywhere outside, walks down the road, and hang around while doing chores. While doing daily clean-up chores, it was quite the comical site for me to be pushing a wheel barrow walking around the pasture cleaning up after the horse and behind me was one of the dogs, followed by 3 goats, followed by 2 the cats.

Rollie Meyers
08-05-2017, 12:48 AM
Had 3 cats that were born under my bed, when I went to Texas for a while took them to my mom to take care of, she lived in a mobile home park at the time, her space was near the back of the park & the mail boxes were in front, when she would walk to pick up her mail the 3 of them would follow like a dog, lost the last of them just after Christmas 2016 at 18 years old. Now left with 3 cats who are all strays that got suckered in to taking home, still no regrets for doing so.

Curt Harms
08-05-2017, 7:26 AM
We live in a townhouse community so not much in the way of property boundary markings but soon after we got Daisy Mae, a Maine Coon rescue we bought a small dog harness, couldn't find a cat harness big enough. She hated it but I used it to walk her and she learned where our lot boundaries are. I screwed an anchor into the ground and tied the harness to it. As soon as I walked away she fought like a demon to get out of the harness and once successful, laid down beside it content. She knows her boundaries and if she wanders while we're out, we need only say "Daisy Mae, you don't live there" and she'll turn around and return to 'her' property.

John K Jordan
08-05-2017, 8:47 AM
One of our in/out cats and one of the barn cats will walk with one of us all over the farm just like a dog, only slower. But they are all different - a couple of others won't even come when called and one generally stays hidden except when hungry.

JKJ

Curt Harms
08-05-2017, 5:40 PM
One of our in/out cats and one of the barn cats will walk with one of us all over the farm just like a dog, only slower. But they are all different - a couple of others won't even come when called and one generally stays hidden except when hungry.

JKJ

You're certain right about them all being different. We have 3 and they're all much different in their behavior. One commonality is that the females are more territorial. One will certainly come when called especially around meal time, the territorial female really doesn't like to come in for meals because that means abandoning her watch for any strangers who will be growled at or worse.

Rod Sheridan
08-08-2017, 8:35 AM
My youngest daughter has been in the hospital for over 2 months so we have her dog living with us. He's an 8 month old Bernese/Hound cross.

My cat Ellington, (who is my shop cat) has taken him under his wing, introducing him to the neighbourhood cats and dogs, and has now started walking with us when we take the dog out.

He goes for the 2 block walks, however the walk to the dog park is too far so he only goes half way and then heads home.

At 18 years old, Ellington is a bit slow so the dog waits if Ellington is too far behind. Watching the bonding between the 2 has been most entertaining.........Rod.

michael langman
08-08-2017, 11:02 AM
I think that this post should get 10 Gold Stars.