PDA

View Full Version : Brodhead Garret Lathe Belt Tension

Kyle Fries
08-02-2017, 4:07 PM
I have a brodhead garrett J-line 112 with the variable speed pulley set up. Does anyone know how to properly adjust the belt tension on one of these? My belt always ends up being too tight or too loose. Its not an arrangement I am familiar with. I would be interested in change out the variable speed for a set of pulleys if anyone has some.

Mark Greenbaum
08-02-2017, 9:56 PM
I have a brodhead garrett J-line 112 with the variable speed pulley set up. Does anyone know how to properly adjust the belt tension on one of these? My belt always ends up being too tight or too loose. Its not an arrangement I am familiar with. I would be interested in change out the variable speed for a set of pulleys if anyone has some.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=6248 - bottom picture shows a crank handle that pushes or pulls the crank arm to loosen or tighten the pulley in the middle of the drive train. Hope that helps.

Kyle Fries
08-03-2017, 9:19 AM
Mark,
I have the crank but I do not have the step pulleys as shown. The crank on my unit is for variable speed adjustment. I'll get a picture tonight and post it tomorrow. There are these floating pulley segments that change the speed. At slow speeds the belt ends being loose and at the higher speeds it is too tight.

Kyle Fries
08-03-2017, 2:43 PM
The lathe has a Reeves Drive. Does anyone know how to set the belt tension on a Reeves Drive?