PDA

View Full Version : First Grade "Neander Class"

Roy Wall
10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Some of you know my daughter is in first grade.....

She loves hand plane shavings.....

So, for her day of "show n tell", she wanted to share with all the kids in her class.

I brought down some planes and "hacked away"....the kids LOVED IT!!!

Trouble was, I had to make some SERIOUSLY THICK SHAVINGS....as they preferred those to the "light n fluffy"...:cool:

Each child took home a pile of shavings - and I worked up quite a sweat!!!

Maybe a seed was planted for a future WWer.........:)

Mike Wenzloff
10-27-2005, 11:12 PM
How wonderful! thanks for posting the pics!

Mike

Monte Milanuk
10-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Considering the state of idiocy in society today, I'm surprised they let you near the kids w/ a sharpened tool (or one that involved manual labor)... Good job though!

Monte

Steve Wargo
10-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Very Cool Roy.

Alan Turner
10-28-2005, 3:17 AM
Nice work. Keep the tradition going!

Rob Millard
10-28-2005, 5:03 AM
Roy,
That looks like a lot of fun. I’ve done the same sort of thing with very cooperative pine, where I have the kid write their name and then plane it off. They can then unroll the shaving a see their name. Even adults like it, as many have never seen a plane take a shaving off a board before.
Rob Millard

Doug Shepard
10-28-2005, 5:32 AM
Looks like the pilot for a pretty good kids show.;) Maybe you can pitch it to Nickelodeon. Keep up the good work. What's up for episode 2 professor??

John Miliunas
10-28-2005, 7:09 AM
That's way cool, Roy! You may be absolutely right about "planting the seed", as well! Heck, I know I even impress myself when I get some of those nice shavings come off a board!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Larry Browning
10-28-2005, 7:49 AM
At Terry's Hatfield's BBQ there was a guy(Doug Stowe) demonstrating what he does in classrooms with the younger kids. He had a miniture workbench and clamps for the kids to use. He used a plane to make Barbie toilet paper. It was great!

Bob Oehler
10-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Way to go ;)

Great way to introduce wood to kid's

Takecare

Bob Oehler

Jerry Palmer
10-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Heck, I coulda saved you a bunch of work and sent you however many bags of shavings you needed to pass out to the kids.:)

Nice job and good to plant some seeds.

Roy Wall
10-28-2005, 1:28 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.......it was a lot of fun!! The kids really "light up" over this sort of thing---its a great memory!

Rob - good tip on writing their names on the wood and shaving....I'll give that a shot with my daughter...

Monte - yes, a sharpened tool it was....but I'm the official "HOME ROOM DAD".......so I drove my own show!!:)

Hank Knight
10-28-2005, 3:46 PM
Roy, that's really cool. I wish I'd thought of it 20 years ago when my daughter was in the 1st grade. She still loves shavings and makes Christmas ornaments from them.

Dan Forman
10-28-2005, 4:07 PM
Roy---Looks like a fun time was had by all. I like the "planting a seed analogy", one never knows what may come of a moment such as this.

I too am grateful for the suggestion of writing the name before planing. I have been thinking about using shavings for to/from lables on Christmas presents, applying to a cardstock backing. Seems like writing first could prevent tearing the shaving during the act.

Dan

Bruce Page
10-28-2005, 4:41 PM
Roy, the term “Cool” has been used several times already so as John Denver (who?) use to say,

Far Out!

Thanks for posting.

Steve Beadle
10-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Roy, I recently learned that an old name for wood shavings is "excelsior." Sounds kind of elegant, doesn't it?

Roy Wall
10-30-2005, 2:43 PM
Roy, I recently learned that an old name for wood shavings is "excelsior." Sounds kind of elegant, doesn't it?

Yes it does!!!

All this "slippery slope stuff" is because of you "SMC" people......I'm ruined for life!!!:D :D

Ever since I resawed som BE maple and hand planed to finish --- I got the bug.:) And I still like to use power tools.......