PDA

View Full Version : DXF file in EZcad 2.9.4

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-01-2017, 2:20 PM
Hoping someone knows a fix for this or what I can do to make it work. We have a few different chinese fiber lasers and of course with each chinese laser they each run off a completely different version of EZcad. Two of them work fine and they run off of 2.5.X and then another on 2.7.X. The one I am having trouble with is running 2.9.4 and it works pretty well with the exception that when I open up a DXF it is invisible. I can resize the image and if I hit F1 to see the laser area it shows it but wont mark anything. I have looked all through the settings and cannot find a way to fix this. The only workaround I have found is to open up a totally different EZcad (like 2.7 or 2.5) and just copy the DXF there and then paste it into the 2.9.4 version.

If I could get the laser in question to work with one of the other EZcad's, that would be a solution as well, but again, having no such luck changing EZcad's with said laser.

Anyone have any ideas? Or know why its giving me invisible DXF files?

John Lifer
08-01-2017, 3:11 PM
I had this issue initially with 2.12.1 that is for my machine.. Are you using CorelDraw to design? I ended up exporting to DXF as an Autocad 2004 file.
This has so far solved my issue on initial import. Occasionally I change the hatch and take off mark contour and it disappears. Add contour back and it reappears.

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-01-2017, 4:15 PM
I had this issue initially with 2.12.1 that is for my machine.. Are you using CorelDraw to design? I ended up exporting to DXF as an Autocad 2004 file.
This has so far solved my issue on initial import. Occasionally I change the hatch and take off mark contour and it disappears. Add contour back and it reappears.

Using Illustrator to design currently. I guess I could try Corel Draw and see if that fix works. I've tried exporting in every way in Illustrator. I'll try it but if anyone knows a fix for Illustrator and DXF with Ezcad 2.9.4 let me know.

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-01-2017, 5:08 PM
I have now tried it with Corel draw and nothing works with exporting DXF, tried every option, still all invisible. But they all work perfectly in basically any other EZcad version. This is so frustrating.

EDIT** I finally got it to work. Only with the Autocad r9 option, but it is importing now. Nice! Thanks for the tip, John!

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-02-2017, 2:08 PM
Does anyone know how to fix this in Illustrator. I'm using CS6. Would prefer to use Illustrator over Corel if possible.

Jerome Stanek
08-02-2017, 3:38 PM
I think you can save as a legacy file

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-02-2017, 6:15 PM
Thats a no go as well :/

I'd just change to one of my other ezcad versions with this machine if that was an option but I've no idea how to do that either.

Scott Shepherd
08-02-2017, 6:17 PM
Why are you saving it as a DXF out of Illustrator? Save it as a .ai file. EZCAD reads .ai files Version 8. It actually seems to prefer .ai files over anything else.

Gary Hair
08-02-2017, 7:02 PM
Why are you saving it as a DXF out of Illustrator? Save it as a .ai file. EZCAD reads .ai files Version 8. It actually seems to prefer .ai files over anything else.

That's what I was going to suggest. I use AI 8 files on a daily basis with no problems at all.

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-04-2017, 5:05 AM
Interesting. I did not know any AI files would work with Ezcad...however, I'm not having any luck with AI 8. I save them as AI version 8 (which is one of the legacy options) but then when I try to open in any version of Ezcad I get the 2X2 box that doesn't work at all. I will say that AI 8 is the only version that ezcad is willing to open at all.

Am I missing a step to get it to actually open all the way? That'd be fantastic if I could use AI files instead of DXF

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-04-2017, 5:47 AM
Nice I think I figured it out. I just had to create outlines on the text, and now its importing just fine. Wow, I never would have known that you could import AI files into Ezcad, what a help this will be! Thanks guys!

Scott Shepherd
08-04-2017, 7:51 AM
Not sure if you were trying to open it or import it. For ai files, you create a new file in EZ and then import vector.

Sounds like you figured that out, but wanted to clarify it in case someone else sees this later.

One more thing, you need to expand all your text prior to saving it as V8. It doesn't like importing fonts.

John Lifer
08-04-2017, 9:56 AM
Scott is right, it really doesn't like to import text at all. I did a curved text yesterday and of the 15 letters, one A in the middle didn't want to hatch. outline was fine. Just didn't want to hatch. Stupid program :)

And I DO need to try to use ai files and see if that works better. Just been lazy since dxf works most of the time.

Josh Hosseinzadeh
08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Excellent, thats the part I was missing. You can also do "create outlines" on text and it works too, but the Expand option is easier to get to so that trumps the outlines option.

Well awesome guys, this helps a lot. Appreciate all of your tips! We can consider this case closed :)

Kev Williams
08-04-2017, 5:32 PM
Scott is right, it really doesn't like to import text at all. I did a curved text yesterday and of the 15 letters, one A in the middle didn't want to hatch. outline was fine. Just didn't want to hatch. Stupid program :)
Your "A" probably was doubled up... If it happens again, ungroup the text, click on the part that wouldn't fill and delete it. If it 'doesn't delete' then you deleted the extra one :)

My Autocad imports text just fine. MY problem is I have to either import JUST text or JUST outlines of text. If I import outlined text, it does what your "A" did, nothing. Gravostyle is the same way, have to import text or outlines but not both...