PDA

View Full Version : Silver Poplar

Mark Cothren
10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Another bowl from this Silver Poplar I have... it has some neat markings in it, so even though the pics ain't that great and the bowl is just a "plain" bowl, thought I'd post it up and share...

Any constructive criticism that you have on this bowl or any of my stuff is always appreciated. So feel free to give it...

It has one little spot of curl that you can't see, and has some neat "birdseye" type markings in it.

10-1/4" OD, 2-1/2" tall, 1/2" thick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/26OCT_poplar3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/26OCT_poplar2.jpg

Carole Valentine
10-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Beautiful Mark. I particularly like the bead on the bottom. What tool do you use to do that? I am not very good with small beads. :(

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Good looking Poplar. Very nice job. Good lookin' form and finish.

Bruce

John Hart
10-28-2005, 5:43 AM
Very pretty Mark. How come my poplar stuff looks like crrrrap? Well, you've given me something to shoot for. Thanks!:)

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 5:46 AM
Now that is a sweet bowl, Mr. Cothren. That is a bottom I can get used to looking at.... Very pretty bowl, Mark!:D

Mark Cothren
10-28-2005, 6:05 AM
Thanks all!

Carole, I mainly use a small detail gouge that I have ground to a fairly sharp point so that I can make the "corners". I just kind eyeball the rest of it.

It's one of those things that looks pretty good from about 15 feet away....:D but up close you'd see that it's hard for me to sand around the bead...:o

My wife like's my bottom :p so I'll keep tryin' at it.

John Hart
10-28-2005, 6:21 AM
Maybe you should try wearing a Kilt. :D :D :rolleyes: ;)

Glenn Hodges
10-28-2005, 6:40 AM
Mark, your plain bowl turned out just plain pretty. The lines one it are correct, very nice finish, and the bottom sets it off to a T.

Kurt Aebi
10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Mark,

That certainly is good looking, especially for such a normally plain wood, such as poplar!

Love those "Birdseyes" and like, Mike said - the bottom is real nice! ;)

Carole Valentine
10-28-2005, 2:04 PM
It's one of those things that looks pretty good from about 15 feet away....:D but up close you'd see that it's hard for me to sand around the bead...:o

Try doing your bottom sanding first, then carefully cut the bead.

Keith Burns
10-28-2005, 2:36 PM
Another winner ! Nice form and finish. I also like the "bottom detail". It really sets it apart.

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 4:39 PM
Mark,

Your bowl is anything but "plain." I really like the figure and the form is excellent!

Mark Cothren
10-28-2005, 6:08 PM
Try doing your bottom sanding first, then carefully cut the bead.

The bottom is still easy enough for me to get to for sanding. It's the small, tight corners on each side of the bead where I can't get all the way into. I can fold a piece of sandpaper and get it into the corners, but with anything lower than 220 it leaves grooves in a hurry.

The sanding isn't awful, but easy enough to spot a little flaw here and there if you're looking close. But I can live with it for now...:-)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give something along those lines a try.