PDA

View Full Version : Grandson time and 2 bowls

Thomas Canfield
07-31-2017, 10:06 PM
Youngest grandson, 17, was here over weekend and wanted to do some turning. I made some disc blanks, 6-7"D and 1-1/2"T, out of some pith slab material of Hackberry and local Maple saved from larger bowl preparation. His first bowl was Hackberry and ended up with a foot made out of the tenon due to a little eager turning and the ring, design feature in center, would have ended up with a funnel. A good save and friction polish for first bowl. His second bowl was out of the spalted Maple and Danish Oil finish. Both are definitely keepers.
It was good practice working with him since local club will be doing a simple learn to turn bowl class in September turning similar bowls.

Brian Kent
07-31-2017, 11:38 PM
I like both of them, and especially that you got to work with your grandson.

John RStegall
07-31-2017, 11:38 PM
I agree that they are definitely keepers. He has talent and a great teacher.

William C Rogers
08-01-2017, 8:32 AM
Both are great. I really like the second one.

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2017, 9:44 AM
Congrats on being able to share with your grandson the wonderful world of turning! Both bowls are keepers but have to say that even after turning for a few years, I would be showing off that second one! I am sure that in addition to the bowls, you created some lasting and fun memories! Have fun in your September class!!

daryl moses
08-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Great job and good for you for spending time with him in the shop!

Greg Parrish
08-01-2017, 4:47 PM
Those look great. :)

Thomas Canfield
08-01-2017, 9:40 PM
Thanks for comments. The Maple and DO are definitely a better end product and second bowl turned. The Hackberry was his first bowl turned since "we" turned a simple bowl 10 years earlier. He did the turning, sanding, and finish on both bowls with very little hand on help and none on the final passes. He was a good student and got the feel of riding the bevel pretty quick. I was just handed the different grits of sandpaper and sharpened the tools.

Lamar Wright
08-02-2017, 2:31 PM
Very nice bowls indeed!