PDA

View Full Version : If you had $400 to spend on a hand tool, any hand tool, what would it be?

Hasin Haroon
07-31-2017, 8:06 PM
Right now for me it'd be some Japanese chisels...or the new Veritas large plow plane.

If I didn't have the tools I have right now...it would be my Custom no. 4 1/2 smoother. Just a lovely plane to use.

What are the rest of you Galoots lusting after right now?
($400 is just an arbitrary number to keep the tool within the confines of most production tools, and to exclude any bespoke makers like Holtey or Sauer & Steiner etc.)

Malcolm Schweizer
07-31-2017, 8:25 PM
I confirmed with Blue Spruce Toolworks that they are going to produce the amazing fretsaw they had at Handworks. My money is already reserved for it. Target release is November. I got to try it out, and it is amazing.

Also I just discovered that Veritas makes their chisels available in O1 steel. Might be worth getting a few of those for hand paring.

steven c newman
07-31-2017, 9:32 PM
I'd rather spend the cash on lumber.....so the tools I do have will have something to do....

Stewie Simpson
07-31-2017, 9:35 PM
+1 on that idea Steven.

Nathan Johnson
07-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Probably a bronze Lie Nielsen #3. At first I thought they looked showy and pretentious, and I tend to like simple, understated things, but I've come around to thinking they're a gorgeous tool and I would like to have one.

Stew Denton
07-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Easy choice for me, Stanley 55, would try to find one in good shape with the standard set of irons in good, non-pitted shape.

Stew

Patrick Chase
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
I confirmed with Blue Spruce Toolworks that they are going to produce the amazing fretsaw they had at Handworks. My money is already reserved for it. Target release is November. I got to try it out, and it is amazing.

What makes it better than the Knew Concepts fretsaws, which are the current benchmark IMO?

Also I just discovered that Veritas makes their chisels available in O1 steel. Might be worth getting a few of those for hand paring.

Yeah, I've always thought that offering the bench chisels in O1 as well as PM-V11 was a smart move on their part. As you say the O1 versions would be nice for low edge angles.

Patrick Chase
07-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Easy choice for me, Stanley 55, would try to find one in good shape with the standard set of irons in good, non-pitted shape.

Stew

I just unpacked mine today. And it cost exactly $400, oddly enough.

Mike Baker 2
07-31-2017, 11:24 PM
I'd rather spend the cash on lumber.....so the tools I do have will have something to do....

This for me as well. I have enough tools that I would need to actually get working to tell if I need anything else, lol. So lumber would be my choice.

Simon MacGowen
08-01-2017, 12:03 AM
+1 on that idea Steven.

Not ordinary lumber, but fancy hard to get or expensive lumber. $400 is not a lot of money for pricey lumber.

Simon

William Adams
08-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Agree that you can't just mention the Blue Spruce Toolworks fretsaw and not expand on that.

Lessee, I've pretty much put together everything I need toolwise, except for:

- fretsaw --- still kicking myself for not getting the original Knew Concepts titanium fretsaw
- a good frame saw suitable for ripping --- still need to learn more about that
- a tool for making threads on a dowel --- I'm hoping that adding a 4th axis to my CNC will allow me to avoid the need to do that
- a rasp / riffler set --- never did manage to find a nice Nicholson one
- a workbench --- getting really tired of working from a Workmate clone on the back deck and clamping to the deck railing or using picnic table benches for saw benches

I did recently spring for the Bridge City Tools HP-8 Low Angle Mini Block Plane with Depth Skids though (bought it in the Chopstick Master set), so let's go with that.

andy bessette
08-01-2017, 2:21 AM
The Veritas shooting plane.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-01-2017, 3:34 AM
[QUOTE=Patrick Chase;2712737]What makes it better than the Knew Concepts fretsaws, which are the current benchmark IMO?

It has a graphite frame, and it does not flex. I made some cuts with it at the show and it was a joy to use. The blade assembly could turn without releasing tension. Also the handle was perfectly shaped.

I hate my Knew Concepts saw. It doesn't flex linear, but it twists like mad and constantly breaks blades. I have literally never gotten it to cut properly, but the Blue Spruce saw cut like butter. No flex. I have the red anodized aluminum 8" saw. I notice they have discontinued that size. I can imagine why.

Brent Cutshall
08-01-2017, 6:32 AM

Stew
Same here. Always wanted one of those.

Archie England
08-01-2017, 7:15 AM
I've thought about this for the last 24 hours and still have trouble identifying that one item to buy. A new workbench is definitely needed; but more storage space is a MUST! So, I guess I'll go with building more storage or a better shop space. My wife would love to get the garage back.

Mike Baker 2
08-01-2017, 7:28 AM
- a workbench --- getting really tired of working from a Workmate clone on the back deck and clamping to the deck railing or using picnic table benches for saw benches

I have been using a Workmate to build guitars for 7-8 years. It has been through 3 tops. But when I decided to go in the direction of traditional wood working, I knew I needed a proper bench.
I'm still building mine, but it's getting close, and I can't wait.
Beg, borrow or steal the wood to build one. You really, really need it.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-01-2017, 7:38 AM
I have been using a Workmate to build guitars for 7-8 years. It has been through 3 tops. But when I decided to go in the direction of traditional wood working, I knew I needed a proper bench.
I'm still building mine, but it's getting close, and I can't wait.
Beg, borrow or steal the wood to build one. You really, really need it.

Now finally having a proper bench (well- okay, I'm still finishing the vise chops) I only have one regret: that I took so long to build a proper bench. I could have done a lot more projects a lot faster with a proper bench and not using makeshift clamping arrangements to hold my work, or chasing my lightweight bench around the shop when planing.

I'm with Mike. Build a bench, and I will add: build it as heavy as you can.

Kees Heiden
08-01-2017, 8:03 AM
I really have no idea where to spend 400 pop on a woodworking tool. There are some things lacking in my shop but these tools are usually a lot cheaper, like a framesaw for resawing (working on that) or things for green wood work. 400 for one tool is pretty extreme in my experience so far.

If someone would offer a nice complete, carved and dated 18th century Dutch plane for 400 I would probably jump onto it. Not much chance though.

William Adams
08-01-2017, 8:35 AM
Agree on the workbench. Thanks!

Probably I'm going to do a weird hybrid portable thing, but one which I hope will be serviceable for the kind of work I need to do (breaking down stock for the CNC, jointing stock, and cutting joints)

Malcolm, very, very cool on the graphite frame saw --- sounds perfect, and I'm adding it (and the shooting plane as noted by andy bessette) to my wish list for _after_ the bench.

Daniel O'Connell
08-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Though its a bit beyond the $400 target, I sorta fell in love with the Lie-Nielsen shooting plane at Handworks. Thats the only hand tool of that price that really appeals to me right now.

Simon MacGowen
08-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Though its a bit beyond the $400 target, I sorta fell in love with the Lie-Nielsen shooting plane at Handworks. Thats the only hand tool of that price that really appeals to me right now.

Just checked. Wow, that is almost $200 more than the Veritas s.p.

Not that i need one, I shoot with a low angle jack.

Simon

Daniel O'Connell
08-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Just checked. Wow, that is almost $200 more than the Veritas s.p.

Not that i need one, I shoot with a low angle jack.

Simon

Hah, yeah, it is really expensive and I'll likely never buy it. That said, at Handworks I was able to try both of them several times and I found the Lie-Nielsen to perform markedly better and to feel much nicer than the Veritas model. Its really the only Lie-Nielsen product that I prefer over Veritas, but it left an impression on me. And after pricing Stanley #51s, I'm not sure it isn't worth just buying the new Lie-Nielsen if I decide I want one.

I currently shoot with a Stanley #6. I really should pick up a low angle jack one of these days.

andy bessette
08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Good article on shooting planes.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LVShootingPlane.html

Daniel O'Connell
08-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Good article on shooting planes.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LVShootingPlane.html

Most things Derek writes are good articles.

I had not considered the upside of a PM-V11 blade, that is one substantial point in the favor of Veritas

Malcolm Schweizer
08-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Agree on the workbench. Thanks!

Probably I'm going to do a weird hybrid portable thing, but one which I hope will be serviceable for the kind of work I need to do (breaking down stock for the CNC, jointing stock, and cutting joints)

Malcolm, very, very cool on the graphite frame saw --- sounds perfect, and I'm adding it (and the shooting plane as noted by andy bessette) to my wish list for _after_ the bench.

He said look for it to be released in November. At the show, he told me there were legal issues he was working through before he could release it. I wrote to ask about shipping their African Blackwood to the USVI (Their site says they don't ship out of the US, but since we are a US Territory I wanted to see if they could ship to me) and I also asked about the saw. He wrote back and said he had worked through the legalities and he was targeting November for the release. Believe me, you want to save your money for this one. It was very well designed and even details like the shape of the handle were perfectly executed. I have quite literally set aside money for that- I even offered to pre-order if it were available.

William Adams
08-01-2017, 1:28 PM
Thank you!

I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas.

Patrick Chase
08-01-2017, 1:40 PM
Hah, yeah, it is really expensive and I'll likely never buy it. That said, at Handworks I was able to try both of them several times and I found the Lie-Nielsen to perform markedly better and to feel much nicer than the Veritas model. Its really the only Lie-Nielsen product that I prefer over Veritas, but it left an impression on me. And after pricing Stanley #51s, I'm not sure it isn't worth just buying the new Lie-Nielsen if I decide I want one.

I currently shoot with a Stanley #6. I really should pick up a low angle jack one of these days.

What were you shooting that the L-N felt markedly better, and what iron was in the LV?

I have the LV and have used the LN a bit. They have very different strengths and weaknesses, and I wouldn't describe either as unconditionally "better" than the other.

The LV is better at end grain, thanks to the option of lower blade pitch. You can realistically get down to ~37 deg with O1 or PM-V11, whereas the LN is 45 deg period.

The LN comes into its own if you need to shoot difficult long grain, because it's BD with a double iron. Insert obligatory exposition on the benefits of a close-set cap iron here.

I shoot end grain more often than not, which is why I have the LV. Of course they're both excellent planes in any absolute sense, and both can be made to do perfectly well at all shooting tasks. For example the LV can handle reversing grain, but requires a shallower cut and a steeper blade angle (which in turn increases cutting force and degrades the resulting surface a little) to avoid tearout. Similarly the LN does just fine at end grain, but requires a shallower cut to keep cutting forces within any given limit.

Obviously the Right Answer (tm) is to increase the budget to $1K and buy both.

Patrick Chase
08-01-2017, 1:53 PM
[QUOTE=Patrick Chase;2712737]What makes it better than the Knew Concepts fretsaws, which are the current benchmark IMO?

It has a graphite frame, and it does not flex. I made some cuts with it at the show and it was a joy to use. The blade assembly could turn without releasing tension. Also the handle was perfectly shaped.

I hate my Knew Concepts saw. It doesn't flex linear, but it twists like mad and constantly breaks blades. I have literally never gotten it to cut properly, but the Blue Spruce saw cut like butter. No flex. I have the red anodized aluminum 8" saw. I notice they have discontinued that size. I can imagine why.

Two thoughts about the Knew Concepts:

Deflection of a cantilever beam fixed at one end and loaded at the other (which is a reasonable model for the arms of that saw) is proportional to length cubed, so the 8" would flex about 4X as much as the 5" model. With that said...
The frames of most existing fretsaws (including the Knew Concepts ones) are designed to provide high blade tension. They are not designed to resist high side or torque loads, which is what you seem to be describing. I've found that mine does OK provided that I focus on letting the blade do the work and avoid pushing it any more than absolutely necessary, but then again I have the 5" model :-).

It will be interesting to see how Blue Spruce optimized the layup in their carbon saw. It sounds like they designed in a fair bit of torque/sideload resistance, which would make it a very unique fretsaw.

Daniel O'Connell
08-01-2017, 2:54 PM
What were you shooting that the L-N felt markedly better, and what iron was in the LV?

I have the LV and have used the LN a bit. They have very different strengths and weaknesses, and I wouldn't describe either as unconditionally "better" than the other.

The LV is better at end grain, thanks to the option of lower blade pitch. You can realistically get down to ~37 deg with O1 or PM-V11, whereas the LN is 45 deg period.

The LN comes into its own if you need to shoot difficult long grain, because it's BD with a double iron. Insert obligatory exposition on the benefits of a close-set cap iron here.

I shoot end grain more often than not, which is why I have the LV. Of course they're both excellent planes in any absolute sense, and both can be made to do perfectly well at all shooting tasks. For example the LV can handle reversing grain, but requires a shallower cut and a steeper blade angle (which in turn increases cutting force and degrades the resulting surface a little) to avoid tearout. Similarly the LN does just fine at end grain, but requires a shallower cut to keep cutting forces within any given limit.

Obviously the Right Answer (tm) is to increase the budget to $1K and buy both.

End grain in both cases, and I don't know what iron was in the LV, but if I was to hazard a guess it was the PM-V11 given that it was at Handworks. I also cannot say with any confidence the state of sharpness on either blade given that it was a public display and who knows how many people had messed around with them before I happened to get my turn.

I mean more accurately I liked the way the handle and mass felt and moved. I will admit I would need to use them extensively to form a fully fair opinion, especially on the blades, but if right now I was told "Go pick out a tool" the LN would be the one I'd pick.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-01-2017, 3:14 PM
[QUOTE=Malcolm Schweizer;2712766]

Two thoughts about the Knew Concepts:

Deflection of a cantilever beam fixed at one end and loaded at the other (which is a reasonable model for the arms of that saw) is proportional to length cubed, so the 8" would flex about 4X as much as the 5" model. With that said...
The frames of most existing fretsaws (including the Knew Concepts ones) are designed to provide high blade tension. They are not designed to resist high side or torque loads, which is what you seem to be describing. I've found that mine does OK provided that I focus on letting the blade do the work and avoid pushing it any more than absolutely necessary, but then again I have the 5" model :-).

It will be interesting to see how Blue Spruce optimized the layup in their carbon saw. It sounds like they designed in a fair bit of torque/sideload resistance, which would make it a very unique fretsaw.

You are spot on in your points. I agree that the 3" or 5" saw would have a lot less flex. I was sold on the 8" by their marketing but really wish I had gone with the 5". Believe me, I am very careful with it and consider myself a fairly experienced sawyer, but it still flexes for me. It is probably better for paper thin jewelry pieces.

Here is a picture of the Blue Spruce saw, which should say it all. It has molded graphite supports tied with graphite rod stringers. The handle and tensioner rotate in the frame even under tension. It was very easy to make cuts in the test piece he had at the show. I can't remember- roughly 3/4" thick and I seem to remember he had some maple and a softer wood. I made a lot of cuts and it performed flawlessly.

Graham Haydon
08-01-2017, 4:32 PM
Fun idea, good to dream of a situation where I could be handed some tool tokens, only for use on tools. I'd go to a tool auction, try and fine a nice nineteenth century infill. A nice, non essential luxury.

Patrick Chase
08-01-2017, 5:13 PM
End grain in both cases, and I don't know what iron was in the LV, but if I was to hazard a guess it was the PM-V11 given that it was at Handworks. I also cannot say with any confidence the state of sharpness on either blade given that it was a public display and who knows how many people had messed around with them before I happened to get my turn.

By "what iron" I also meant what tip angle. That and sharpness are the big determinants for end grain.

Daniel O'Connell
08-01-2017, 5:21 PM
By "what iron" I also meant what tip angle. That and sharpness are the big determinants for end grain.

Ahh. I did not take the blade out and look at the angle of the blade.

Jim Koepke
08-01-2017, 7:57 PM
I also cannot say with any confidence the state of sharpness on either blade given that it was a public display and who knows how many people had messed around with them before I happened to get my turn.

It would surprise me if there wasn't a person monitoring the plane use and swapping out or sharpening the blade on a regular basis. The tool makers want to make a good impression on folks trying their tools, the want them to be on their 'A Game' for a show.

jtk

Gary Cunningham
08-01-2017, 8:16 PM
The Veritas large plow plane. Or a bronze LN #4

Patrick Chase
08-01-2017, 8:33 PM
Here is a picture of the Blue Spruce saw, which should say it all. It has molded graphite supports tied with graphite rod stringers. The handle and tensioner rotate in the frame even under tension. It was very easy to make cuts in the test piece he had at the show. I can't remember- roughly 3/4" thick and I seem to remember he had some maple and a softer wood. I made a lot of cuts and it performed flawlessly.

That's a very interesting design.

The thing that most immediately catches my attention is how they minimized up-front costs, specifically molds. It appears to me that the two arms/ends are identical parts, and the rods in the middle are obviously off-the-shelf parts bonded to the arms. The upshot is that they have a grand total of one custom carbon part, with two copies per saw. That's exactly how I'd approach a low-volume design like this.

The other thing that grabs my attention is that like the Knew Concepts saws this one is designed to be stiff in tension, not so much laterally or in twist. If they'd wanted it to be stiff in those directions then a single larger tube and "deeper" arms would be preferable. I doubt this design would do very well with 8" clearance, either, though the point appears to be moot.

I notice that Knew Concepts still offers the Titanium "birdcage" fretsaw in 8" size. That one has a much deeper back cross-section, that would do a better job of resisting bending and twist than the "flat" Aluminum design, and probably better than the Blue Spruce as well. Stiffness goes with cross-section cubed for this stuff, so geometry is more important than material.

Prashun Patel
08-01-2017, 8:34 PM
Twin screw vise

Frederick Skelly
08-01-2017, 8:46 PM
It would surprise me if there wasn't a person monitoring the plane use and swapping out or sharpening the blade on a regular basis. The tool makers want to make a good impression on folks trying their tools, the want them to be on their 'A Game' for a show.

jtk

I was thinking the same thing Jim.

john zulu
08-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Depends where I am at that point of time...... Project or upgrades. I would like benchcrafted vises. Or the new Veritas combination plane.
But if I was starting of first. I would chose LV LAJ plane not the LV LA Rabbet plane. Not enough blade combinations and I use all of the blade combination for my work.

There is always the danger of collecting tools I would never use that are expensive so best advise I learnt, buy what you need at that point of time.

Joe A Faulkner
08-01-2017, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't spend it on just one item. Maybe some items from this list: New Concepts fret or coping saw, Veritas spoke shaves & Starrett Combination Squares; though I might spend it on sharpening stones as well. Do those qualify as hand tools?

Michael J Evans
08-02-2017, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't spend it on just one item. Maybe some items from this list: New Concepts fret or coping saw, Veritas spoke shaves & Starrett Combination Squares; though I might spend it on sharpening stones as well. Do those qualify as hand tools?

I'm with you Joe, why just one item?
I still need a lot of stuff, or maybe I should say I think I need a lot of stuff for the future.

But if someone gave me 400 bucks and said only buy one tool. It would probably be a combination plane. I don't have one and they looks super useful and imo there fairly expensive (even the vintage ones).

Jim Koepke
08-02-2017, 1:23 AM
Forgot to answer the question.

If a lump of money was handed to me for the use of buying tools only, my thoughts would be to buy the chisels missing to fill out my Buck Brothers and Witherby sets. Maybe hunt down a 3/4" mortise chisel, a few gouges to fill the gaps and possibly a quality riffler rasp or two.

jtk

john zulu
08-02-2017, 1:56 AM

Sharpening stones before all the fancy tools. That is good investment there.

Chris Hachet
08-04-2017, 6:05 AM
+1 on that idea Steven.
I will add a third!

Chris Hachet
08-04-2017, 6:06 AM
I lust after the same plane!

Chris Hachet
08-04-2017, 6:07 AM
And one that will soon see more of my money.

James Pallas
08-04-2017, 8:18 AM
Starrett H-8
Jim

Daniel O'Connell
08-04-2017, 9:36 AM
Starlet H-8
Jim

Oooo, tempting.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Starrett H-8
Jim

I'm confused. I just looked this up, and it's selling for $410. I just bought a 12" Starrett Combo Square for around $60 on sale on Amazon. What's the difference other than 12" more length in the ruler????

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Combination-Squares/Squares/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Measuring-Tools/8h

Patrick Chase
08-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm confused. I just looked this up, and it's selling for $410. I just bought a 12" Starrett Combo Square for around $60 on sale on Amazon. What's the difference other than 12" more length in the ruler????

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Combination-Squares/Squares/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Measuring-Tools/8h

The H-8 casting is huge, probably 3-4X as heavy as the one you have. It therefore provides larger registration faces for larger work.

You can get a 24" 4R rule for your existing combo square if that's all you want.

Patrick Chase
08-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Like these (https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/NO-SLIPROLL)?

Full disclosure: I have that kit. It's a lifesaver. I've made ceramic waterstone slips from a used-up Sigma 1K and 6K for very frequently used tools, and wooden forms that I use with lapping films/compounds for some others, but the Norton kit is really convenient for oddball profiles, and particularly older HCS irons.

steven c newman
08-04-2017, 1:50 PM
Hmmm, still waiting on that $400 pile of Curly Maple....sigh...maybe someday:rolleyes:

Pat Barry
08-04-2017, 2:07 PM
I think I'd buy a Tormek sharpening system and a high power lighted magnifier to use with it

Allen Jordan
08-04-2017, 2:31 PM

I've tried both shooters several times, and own the Veritas. The Veritas shooter at handworks this year was extremely dull when I tried it, and it didn't look like the Lee Valley employees were bothering to sharpen the planes very often. The LN demonstrators were sharpening more regularly, so it might have made a difference when trying them out. When sharpened properly, my veritas shooter is pretty remarkable. But it does dull fairly fast, even with PM-V11, as my shooting board is non-ramped and the same section of blade gets worn over and over.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-04-2017, 2:43 PM
I've tried both shooters several times, and own the Veritas. The Veritas shooter at handworks this year was extremely dull when I tried it, and it didn't look like the Lee Valley employees were bothering to sharpen the planes very often. The LN demonstrators were sharpening more regularly, so it might have made a difference when trying them out. When sharpened properly, my veritas shooter is pretty remarkable. But it does dull fairly fast, even with PM-V11, as my shooting board is non-ramped and the same section of blade gets worn over and over.

I also noticed the VAST difference in sharpness between Lie-Nielsen's shooter and the one at the Veritas booth. I already have (and love) the Veritas shooter, but I had a friend with me who was considering a shooter. I showed him both examples, and wow- the LN cut much better, but I knew (because I own the Veritas) that it was due to the sharpness. That said, I was VERY impressed with the Lie-Nielsen shooter.

steven c newman
08-04-2017, 2:54 PM
Chris: You and Andrew are welcome to come over and try out some Curly Maple I have been working with. I have a slab that is way too wide for a planer a friend has, and is almost a 1/4" too thick...for the Black Walnut Bread board ends I want to use...

Derek Cohen
08-04-2017, 8:33 PM

Malcolm wrote: I also noticed the VAST difference in sharpness between Lie-Nielsen's shooter and the one at the Veritas booth. I already have (and love) the Veritas shooter, but I had a friend with me who was considering a shooter. I showed him both examples, and wow- the LN cut much better, but I knew (because I own the Veritas) that it was due to the sharpness. That said, I was VERY impressed with the Lie-Nielsen shooter.

I have both (I purchased the LN #51 and acquired the Veritas via testing). They are used on a Stanley #52 Chute Board.

Given equally sharp blades, I give the nod to the LN because I prefer the traditional looks, and because it has slightly more momentum when pushed owing to it being slightly heavier. Both are equally comfortable to push however (both must have guided chutes). However, the Veritas is a bit better on end grain owing to the lower cutting angle (and most shooting involves end grain), and when it comes to maintaining the sharpness of the edge, the Veritas blows the LN out of the water (see my review (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LVShootingPlane.html) on this). The ability for the Veritas to remain sharper so much longer is a biggie for me, and for this reason the Veritas is the one to live alongside my bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

lowell holmes
08-05-2017, 8:36 PM
I could get excited over a Lie Nielsen 5 1/2 Jack Plane.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Christopher Swartz, Ron Herman, or some other hand tool guy to give me lessons :D

Wait, probably cannot afford them!

A Lee Valley plane with which i can cut some dadoes for things such as drawer bottoms. I think that their plane is more than $400 fully outfitted though.

Daniel O'Connell
08-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Now thats interesting. I would have assumed Lee Valley would pay more attention.

Hasin Haroon
08-07-2017, 2:08 PM
I wasn't there, but I imagine all their reps would have been busy sharpening the cutters for their new combination plane! ;)

Andrew Pitonyak
08-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Chris: You and Andrew are welcome to come over and try out some Curly Maple I have been working with. I have a slab that is way too wide for a planer a friend has, and is almost a 1/4" too thick...for the Black Walnut Bread board ends I want to use...

we really should do that...... Just need to schedule it since I think that my August and September are mostly spoken for, but...... I know that I can convince you to let me drag you out for some Mexican food..... Just lock up those squares or one might wander home with me.... :D

Hell, we just need to wander out so that we can hang-out and then we can see first hand how your finger is doing.

steven c newman
08-08-2017, 12:39 PM
LOL...Ok. About a week more on the thumb...
Still waiting on that $400 Maple......someday...

Ted Phillips
08-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm lusting after the new D8 Handsaw/Panelsaw from Bad Axe Toolworks. Modeled on the classic Disston D8 pattern. Mark will make them in both 24" and 26" plates with either rip or XC and your choice of handle types (thumbhole or no thumbhole). Nom nom.

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/images/ProdPage_D8/HaynerD8_no1.jpg

steven c newman
08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Was using my D-8 the other day...
8ppi Crosscut, fully readable etch....very nice saw.

Nathan Johnson
08-09-2017, 1:02 PM
What's the point of the thumb hole?

Malcolm Schweizer
08-09-2017, 1:25 PM
What's the point of the thumb hole?

The right hand goes around the tote as normal. The left thumb goes through the hole to help push the saw through difficult rip cuts.

Nathan Johnson
08-09-2017, 2:47 PM
The right hand goes around the tote as normal. The left thumb goes through the hole to help push the saw through difficult rip cuts.

Thank you. I didn't consider the two handed option. Makes perfect sense.

William Adams
12-28-2017, 3:33 PM
It has a graphite frame

Apparently it's aluminum now: https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/blogs/new-tools/coping-saw-chronicles

Unfortunately, I forgot about this and blew my Christmas money on a pair of Knipex plier wrenches and a Cobra, and a Mininch Toolpen Mini, and a Magic: The Gathering card, and a Brooks Cambium C15 All Weather saddle for my bicycle, so I guess I'll have to revisit this for my birthday....

Patrick Chase
12-28-2017, 5:12 PM
Apparently it's aluminum now: https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/blogs/new-tools/coping-saw-chronicles

The two tubular parts are carbon fiber.

Somehow this does not surprise me at all. If you look at the changes from the earlier announcement to now they're all about cost and supply chain optimization. Those carbon tubes are likely much more widely available than the graphite rods he was using before per Malcolm. By using Aluminum for the arm/tensioner assemblies he avoids the need to make any custom molds, whereas the equivalent graphite assemblies in the initial design were going to require a very expensive bit of tooling to mass-produce. As an added bonus he now has freedom to make the two end assemblies different, whereas that would have been an extremely expensive proposition (requiring a second mold) in the initial design.

Of course the downside is that it's going to weigh more.

Patrick Walsh
12-28-2017, 5:25 PM
Been home caring for my two pups after some nasty surgery.

Ordered one of these in ebony/large or 10”... wanted to buy the whole matched set and the same or at least one bevel in boxwood. Major restraint was exercised and if you take into account the exchange rate it meets the $400 budget.

https://www.vespertools.com.au/vesper-squares/signature-series-try-squares/

Today I ordered a burnisher, a Aurio rasp and a cross peen hammer from LN.

Ok I gotta stop now. I never ever sit on the couch but if I do I clearly shop. All my tools are razor sharp waiting for me to be able to use them again as I can sharpen from the couch. My pup needs my eyes on her 24x7 so that’s about all I can get for shop time as apposed to spending time. I should probably cut up my credit card till she heals up and I can get back to work.

Oh and last week a ebony HNT Gordon small spokeshave.

It’s everything I can do to not order a LN or LV shoot board plane.

All of the above are $400 or under.

Rob Luter
12-28-2017, 5:55 PM
A matched set of LN 16” Tenon saws. One filed Rip, one filed Crosscut.

Frederick Skelly
12-28-2017, 6:30 PM

It's only a matter of time.....I fought it for an entire year before I succumbed, and I fought it hard. :D :D :D

Patrick Chase
12-28-2017, 7:08 PM

All of the above are $400 or under.

The L-N 51 is $500. It's the single most expensive plane in their regular line (not limited offering or special order).

Patrick Walsh
12-28-2017, 7:22 PM
Ok, ok you got me.

I musta been thinking LV...

Potato potaaaaahtow....

The L-N 51 is $500. It's the single most expensive plane in their regular line (not limited offering or special order).

William Fretwell
12-30-2017, 7:43 AM
$400 represents a major tool for hand wood work. If you've been doing it a while you will have that essential tool already. Picking a luxury item is much harder. My combination plane did not go so well so a pair of wooden moulding planes would be my luxury item.
The huge number of wood moulding planes seem to define cabinet makers so I better learn to make my own!

bridger berdel
12-30-2017, 4:20 PM
For me i suppose it'd be wood and hardware to build a nice bench. Not that i actually * need* another bench, but.....