PDA

View Full Version : Freud Box Joint Blades

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Has anyone used the Freud Box joint blades? These are the SB0X8. You turn the face out and you get 1/4" box joints or turn their face in and get 3/8" box joints. I know this has been asked before but want to know how they are. Thanks.

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Bernie, several have reported on these and I have read reviews on other forums and haven't seen a bad report yet. They cut absolutely flat bottom joints. Quick and easy and can be used anywhere you need a dado, groove, rabet etc. in those sizes as well, not just box joints. They go for about 80.00 at most places. It is on my list!

Corey

Roy Wall
10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm in for a group buy!!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks Corey. I have had my eye on it for some time. I guess you could use it on stock from 3/4" and under. Although I have heard 1/4" to 1/2" is best. I think it would great for dado's in drawer for the bottom. Thanks again.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Sounds good to me Roy. I did some more looking and have not found anything bad on them yet. Everyone is raving about them.

Roy Wall
10-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Precisely! and to box joint the back side of a drawer.....

Thanks Corey. I have had my eye on it for some time. I guess you could use it on stock from 3/4" and under. Although I have heard 1/4" to 1/2" is best. I think it would great for dado's in drawer for the bottom. Thanks again.

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey....if we do a group buy on this blade set....Count me in.!!!;)

Maurice Ungaro
10-28-2005, 7:36 AM
I'd group buy too!
I've we all start chanting loud enough, maybe it'll happen.

Bob Wingard
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm in for a set .. .. ..

Gene Collison
10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Has anyone used the Freud Box joint blades? These are the SB0X8. You turn the face out and you get 1/4" box joints or turn their face in and get 3/8" box joints. I know this has been asked before but want to know how they are. Thanks.

Bernie,

If you have a router table, for $135. you can buy an Incra Ultralite that will do all of your box joints plus dovetail joints in a much more sophisticated way. It will permit you do to do equally spaced and variably spaced joints in 1/8 through 3/8 inches as well as more sophiticated joinery. All you need is the jig and cutters which you may already have. I'm thinking out of the box. It's a lot safer too.

Gene

Jack Wood
10-29-2005, 6:08 AM
I recently bought the Freud Box Joint Blade and love it! :D It makes a perfectly squared slot and fingers. It cuts the wood clean and unlike a dado blade has 0 set up time, just turn the blades around to face inward or outward and that's it. I am a beginning hobbyist and my experience with a dado that I was given was not fun. I also bought a box joint jig that after playing around with has simplified this jointing process for me. I know there are more "Pure" woodworking methods IE hand done, but for right now my needs are filled by this neat blade, I'd definitely give it a thumbs up!:)