PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 18" bandsaw and Koa

craig carlson
10-27-2005, 9:55 PM
Hi,

Rikon is having a sale on their 18" bandsaw starting Nov 1 for 899.00 bucks and I think I'm gonna go for it. I guess my biggest concern is the 2HP rating of the motor, does anyone have a problem with this motor? The Rikon will supplement my 14" Delta, I'd really like a 3 HP motor but I just can't justify it cost wise. Now I've read nothing but good reviews on this saw but I'd like to here any and all negatives that anyone may have.

On a side note I was in my local wood store the other day and lo and behold what did they have? KOA!! Needless to say I put myself into even more debt and bought everything they had.

Craig

Scott Coffelt
10-27-2005, 10:24 PM
All I know is FWW Mag gave it the best of class recently. I was at Woodcraft's tonight and was talking to the guy about them, he told me they seem to be fine saws. His only concern was what if you need service. I have a Grizzly so I would have to drive 3.5 hours for repair. You might just want to get a feel for where the service center locations are. But it sure seems like you get a lot of saw for $900. As for the 2hp, it seemed from the tests that the saw had no issues with cutting power.

craig carlson
10-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Scott
Which model Griz?
Craig

Mike Cutler
10-28-2005, 4:31 AM
Craig.
I have the Rikon 18", and have resawn 12" Jatoba( Brazillian Cherry) with it and had no problems what so ever.
It's a good bandsaw for the money. For ~ $1K you can have an 18" bandsaw with a Lennox Tri-Master blade.
I wouldn't try to compare it with an Mini-Max, or a Laguna, or Mark's Agazzani. A lot more fit and polish on those bandsaws, none the less it does a good job.
I did a review of it this past febuary, and the thread is searchable under Rikon. Others here on the board have the same saw, and so far everyone seems to be satisfied with the purchase.

Ted Christiansen
10-28-2005, 4:10 PM
Craig,

I have the Jet 18" (12" resaw and 1-3/4 HP) and love it. My dad just got the same Jet, but with 3 HP - it works great.

Jet is offering rebates now on these saws.

Ted

Scott Coffelt
10-28-2005, 4:30 PM
Scott
Which model Griz?
Craig

I have the G0513. Like I said the Rikon seems to be a real solid saw.

Steven Powell
10-28-2005, 6:31 PM
I bought the Rikon 18" at Woodcraft in July when it was also on sale for $899.

I really like it. Great value for the money.

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 6:44 PM
The Rikon 18" just got best tool from Wood magazine as well. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Which is to say, buy it now on sale!