PDA

View Full Version : What internet browser do you use?

dennis thompson
07-31-2017, 7:15 AM
I just switched from internet explorer to google chrome and can't believe how much faster chrome is. What browser do you use?
Thanks

Matt Meiser
07-31-2017, 7:20 AM
Chrome except certain business applications that only work or at least work better in Internet Explorer. Most of those are Microsoft products but even they have been working toward standardization of those products.

I haven't really used Edge but they claim a more standardized browsing experience and faster performance.

George Bokros
07-31-2017, 7:23 AM
I use Firefox exclusively.

Dom Garafalo
07-31-2017, 7:25 AM
I use Google Chrome

Jerome Stanek
07-31-2017, 8:11 AM
depends on what I am browsing for Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, IE, and Comodo Dragon

Alan Rutherford
07-31-2017, 8:18 AM
Firefox for over 10 years.

Browser market share reports emphasize that Microsoft Edge just isn't good enough for users

(https://www.neowin.net/news/browser-market-share-reports-emphasize-that-microsoft-edge-just-isnt-good-enough-for-users)Browser Market Share Worldwide (http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share)

Usage share of web browsers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers)

John K Jordan
07-31-2017, 8:38 AM
Firefox on Win, Safari on iPad

JKJ

Ole Anderson
07-31-2017, 8:50 AM
Chrome on PC, Safari on iPhone.

Thomas L Carpenter
07-31-2017, 9:24 AM
I use Chrome. Used to use Internet Explorer but it became so slow I switched. It's almost as if the demons that slow things down gradually find there way into whatever i use as Chrome is now becoming somewhat difficult and slow to use.

Jay Nossen
07-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Chrome, but only because I've been delaying switching back to Firefox...

Brian Henderson
07-31-2017, 12:07 PM
I've used them all. I really don't like any of them. Currently, I'm using Firefox, which although it has problems, doesn't have as many problems as Chrome, IE or Edge. It still locks up all the time though, which is why I switched to Chrome the last time.

Mike Henderson
07-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Chrome. Switched when it first came out from IE.

Mike

Jim Becker
07-31-2017, 1:31 PM
Chrome for personal online activities with Safari occasionally when a particular website isn't behaving favorably in Chrome. Firefox for work. If I'm using Windows for work (in a virtual machine on my Macbook Pro), I use IE11.

Matt Day
07-31-2017, 3:52 PM
Chrome on PC, Safari on iPhone.

+1
--------

Bruce Wrenn
07-31-2017, 9:20 PM
Firefox. The best use of Internet Explorer is to down load a better browser, IMHO

Chris Parks
07-31-2017, 10:10 PM
Opera, the shortcut keys and VPN feature, inbuilt ad blocker etc is something others don't have. It is built on Chrome but has way more features, Opera introduced the tabbed browser to the internet along with many other features that the others have copied.

Grant Wilkinson
08-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Firefox on my win 7 machines and firefox with an occasional try with Edge on my win 10 machine.

I gave Chrome a try and I maintain 6 pc's using Chrome. I stopped using it on my machines when I saw just how much privacy I gave up to the great google in the sky. I turned off everything I could find and they still were able to find me. :-(

glenn bradley
08-01-2017, 1:31 PM
I used Chrome for quite awhile. Then switched to Iron when I got tired of all the unsolicited junk; based on Chromium and very similar look and feel. Then jumped to Firefox when HTML5 and other changes were slow to fully develop or be widely supported. Your browsing habits will affect your satisfaction. A coworker uses MS Edge exclusively where as it has issues or just plain fails on many of the sites I need for work. In short, I run FF whenever I can.

P.s. Am I the only one that finds Safari next to useless? Its like running Netscape and Lycos :D.

Bob Bouis
08-01-2017, 2:27 PM
I use Chrome currently, but I am going to move away from using Google wherever I can. It's a vile company, and it has no respect for its users' privacy.

Brian Henderson
08-01-2017, 3:08 PM
I used Chrome for quite awhile. Then switched to Iron when I got tired of all the unsolicited junk; based on Chromium and very similar look and feel. Then jumped to Firefox when HTML5 and other changes were slow to fully develop or be widely supported. Your browsing habits will affect your satisfaction. A coworker uses MS Edge exclusively where as it has issues or just plain fails on many of the sites I need for work. In short, I run FF whenever I can.

P.s. Am I the only one that finds Safari next to useless? Its like running Netscape and Lycos :D.

See, that's the problem I'm having with Firefox right now. My wife's computer is running Chrome, we're on the exact same connection, with identical computers, going to the exact same website. Hers will load 3x faster than mine will. Hers is almost instantaneous, mine takes forever. If I use Chrome on my system, it is much faster, but Chrome has a ton of other problems which is why I switched back to Firefox. But Firefox is having massive problems getting locked up and not responding. I've tried them all, none of them do what I need them to do.

Charles Wiggins
08-01-2017, 3:28 PM
98% Chrome
1% Firefox to double-check that the problem I am having is not browser related.
1% IE because the stinkin' student record system is "optimized for Internet Explorer." Translation: Lazy programmers.

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2017, 3:30 PM
I use Chrome for the few websites that I follow and use Firefox (using DuckDuckGo) any time I want to run a search or browse. I too have found that Firefox is getting slower and takes noticeably longer to load a site than does Chrome. Hope that changes soon!

Pat Barry
08-01-2017, 8:28 PM
Chrome on my phone, Firefox on my PC except for Samsung smart cam app on IE.

Chris Parks
08-01-2017, 8:54 PM
No one has privacy on the web, a fact of life and different browsers won't change that to any great extent due to the OS being the problem the exception being Linux users.

Curt Harms
08-01-2017, 9:03 PM
For Firefox users that find it slow - Do you know about NoScript and Ublock Origin or other ad blocker? I haven't let Windows near the internet in years except for 2 sites needed for work so don't really know how Firefox for Windows is performing these days. I use Firefox on Ubuntu 97% of the time and Vivaldi (a chromium based browser from the original developer of Opera) if a site is misbehaving with Firefox. The vast majority of the time if a site is problematic in Firefox, it's problematic in Vivaldi as well. Both browsers have controls to disable Flash & HTML5 video by default but I can click to play. NoScript takes some time to set what to allow and what to block for various web sites but once set it seems to work very well. I block most everything from Google and Double Click for starters.

I found if I got too enthusiastic with privacy add-ons in Firefox many sites were effectively frozen. It's a balancing act and legitimate sites like Sawmill Creek rely on ads to pay the bills so we need to allow ads if we want to have content available at no cost. Again, it's a balancing act. it was certainly eye opening to me the first time I loaded the home page of a popular site like ESPN.com or NFL.com and saw how many sites were running scripts on those home pages. If one or more of the servers serving ads or scripts was having a bad day the page took forever to load. Not the browser's fault.

Shawn Pixley
08-01-2017, 9:18 PM
Safari is my primary browser with Firefox as a back-up for sites that aren't Mac friendly. I hated Chrome when I tried it.

Brian Henderson
08-01-2017, 9:42 PM
For Firefox users that find it slow - Do you know about NoScript and Ublock Origin or other ad blocker? I haven't let Windows near the internet in years except for 2 sites needed for work so don't really know how Firefox for Windows is performing these days. I use Firefox on Ubuntu 97% of the time and Vivaldi (a chromium based browser from the original developer of Opera) if a site is misbehaving with Firefox. The vast majority of the time if a site is problematic in Firefox, it's problematic in Vivaldi as well. Both browsers have controls to disable Flash & HTML5 video by default but I can click to play. NoScript takes some time to set what to allow and what to block for various web sites but once set it seems to work very well. I block most everything from Google and Double Click for starters.

All done. Haven't seen an ad online in years. Doesn't stop Firefox from being ridiculously slow. Even Mozilla admits it's a problem.

Caspar Hauser
08-02-2017, 6:59 AM
Duckduckgo

Malcolm Schweizer
08-02-2017, 7:30 AM
Go ahead and crucify me on the internet for this, but I find Chrome to be horribly non-user-friendly. Example: Try changing proxy server address on Chrome versus Explorer. Chrome takes you through a maze of steps. Explorer is four or five clicks. Since I travel a lot and connect with a VPN a lot, I often need to switch proxy server on and off. I find similar issues with other tasks in Chrome.

Curt Harms
08-02-2017, 7:46 AM
All done. Haven't seen an ad online in years. Doesn't stop Firefox from being ridiculously slow. Even Mozilla admits it's a problem.

I thought Mozilla addressed the performance issue, guess not. Firefox is undergoing a significant makeover starting with I think 57 though I'm not sure about the number. They're making structural changes and controversially dropping support for a great many add-ons. Some add-on publishers will rewrite to work with the new browser, many others won't. Firefox and its offshoots - Palemoon etc. are the only web browser that I think cares about user privacy. Google (Chrome) certainly doesn't and Microsoft seems to be following Google's lead.

Chuck Wintle
08-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I just switched from internet explorer to google chrome and can't believe how much faster chrome is. What browser do you use?
Thanks
I use Firefox almost exclusively at home and google chrome at work because it is allowed.:D Firefox has fallen behind because it is slower than the rest but this is only a fairly recent problem. I have heard they are revamping Firefox now to compete with the best browsers and they really need to..it is out of date. :)

Rich Engelhardt
08-02-2017, 1:02 PM
Chrome - ever since I retired in 2011.
I used to use IE because that's what most of my customers used.

Brian Henderson
08-02-2017, 1:08 PM
I thought Mozilla addressed the performance issue, guess not. Firefox is undergoing a significant makeover starting with I think 57 though I'm not sure about the number. They're making structural changes and controversially dropping support for a great many add-ons. Some add-on publishers will rewrite to work with the new browser, many others won't. Firefox and its offshoots - Palemoon etc. are the only web browser that I think cares about user privacy. Google (Chrome) certainly doesn't and Microsoft seems to be following Google's lead.

Nope, they haven't fixed a thing, which is unfortunate because I like Firefox more than any other browser. Mozilla acknowledges that it is their browser, they even have a section on "what if Firefox is slow but no other browsers are". I've taken all of those steps and it really hasn't helped. I'm hoping their revamp will solve the problem.

Tom Stenzel
08-02-2017, 3:49 PM
Use Firefox ESR on the Debian Jessie desktop, Pale Moon on the Win 8.1 laptop.

Although if I need to to a quick lookup of something I've used the built in browser (Eww) in Emacs.

-Tom