PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Remodel Project.....

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 9:49 PM
As soon as I finish the floor sanding and finishing in my living room, we want a little dinette nook in the corner. We will have a small table and either a built-in bench or a free standing bench on the two sides of the corner and chairs on the other two sides. If I was to do a built-in, how would you go about the construction or framing it. Any ideas? Do you build a 2 x frame on the walls then sheat it in what plywood, mdf or whatever your finish material is going to be? Not sure how to handle the corner. Which way would you guys go? I don't really want a back on it, we will be using some custom made pillows along the wall. Thanks for any help as always!

Corey

Roy Wall
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Corey,

I think a 2x along the wall would give you the support you need......and then sheath as you say....or make an entire 2x frame and then sheath.

We've done this sort of thing (building benches into the wall) and created a "storage box" within the framework.

Lastly, I know you don't want a back........but they're pretty nice to have - that "straight-up" wall section is pretty uncomfortable...

Neil Clemmons
Corey,

I did a window seat similar to what you are suggesting and wrapped it in beadboard - with mitred corners. The frame was made from strips of 3/4 plywood that made up the carcass and then I nailed and glued the beadboard to it. Top was plywood. Turned out very nice with an upholstered cushion and throw pillows on top.

Alternatively, you could use 2x material for the framing and wrap it in plywood. In that case, I think mitered corners is probably how I would do it.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Scott Parks
Corey,

There's a thousand ways to skin a cat....

In a past house, I built a bench seat into a bay window. It was all 3/4 ply. I'm currently doing built in window seats in my kid's bedrooms. Again, all 3/4 ply. My reason for not using 2x's is that they are not very stable.

That said, I don't see a problem either way. To each his own....

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. I can see I was thinking along the same lines. Roy, I know what you are saying, however, I wanted to avoid the look of say a restaurant booth if you know what I mean. I was going to make it a little deeper to compensate for some nice custom made cushions for the bench seat and back against the wall. Maybe it won't work, will have to see. Open to ideas on back design as well, but as I said, I kind of want to avoid a booth look and more for a little cozy nook look.
Neil, I was thinking the beadboard as you say or maybe MDF sheating and doing panels and then paint. Alot of possiblities on the finish. We will have mostly oak flooring and alot of oak furniture so a painted finish would balance things I think.
Thanks guys,
Corey

Scott Parks
10-27-2005, 10:34 PM
here's my bench... The top opens for storage. The front is molding. the angled ends open like cabinet doors. No 2x's. All plywood.

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2005, 7:45 AM
Thanks Scott for the photo. That looks great!

Corey