PDA

View Full Version : Ugly handle on saw

lowell holmes
07-30-2017, 3:15 PM
26" Cross Cut with ugly square lines blonde handle.

It is obviously a late saw. I think I will make a Sapele handle for it with a nice shape. It could be a nice saw. I have some
brass saw nuts that I salvaged.

Am I the only one with these sentiments? I've made Sapele handles before.

steven c newman
07-30-2017, 7:50 PM
Will this do?
I have made a couple handles out of Sycamore.....
I could send a couple "orphans" along..
These? Or..
These? The Atkins one in the first pair has found a home.....Atkins No. 59

Stewie Simpson
07-30-2017, 8:00 PM
Workability: (http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-workability/) Sapele can be troublesome to work in some machining operations, (i.e., planing, routing, etc.), resulting in tearout due to its interlocked grain. It will also react when put into direct contact with iron, becoming discolored and stained. Sapele has a slight blunting effect on cutters, but it turns, glues, and finishes well.http://www.wood-database.com/sapele/

Mike Baker 2
07-31-2017, 4:10 PM
I am in the middle of trying to figure out how to make a handle for a Warranted Superior I have here. I have some "Walnut". I include the parenthesis because it looks more like Pecan, which a lot of folk around here call Walnut.
I think I've pretty much got it planned out, but have not had the opportunity to get started yet.

James Waldron
07-31-2017, 4:59 PM
I am in the middle of trying to figure out how to make a handle for a Warranted Superior I have here. I have some "Walnut". I include the parenthesis because it looks more like Pecan, which a lot of folk around here call Walnut.
I think I've pretty much got it planned out, but have not had the opportunity to get started yet.

Where is "here," Mike. Through out the South, pecan is called hickory or vice versa; the two are treated as equivalent. I sure hope my dealer doesn't start calling pecan walnut and charge walnut prices for hickory!!! I'm not ready to go $7 per BF for hickory or pecan.

W

lowell holmes
07-31-2017, 5:05 PM
Stewie,

You are correct. I will make it out of curly maple instead of sapele. I love curly maple anyway and
I have a scrap that I can use. Thanks.

Mike Baker 2
07-31-2017, 7:24 PM
Where is "here," Mike. Through out the South, pecan is called hickory or vice versa; the two are treated as equivalent. I sure hope my dealer doesn't start calling pecan walnut and charge walnut prices for hickory!!! I'm not ready to go $7 per BF for hickory or pecan.

W

Virginia, James. But our wood dealers know what's what.
I meant most average people around here call Pecan Walnut.

James Waldron
08-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Virginia, James. But our wood dealers know what's what.
I meant most average people around here call Pecan Walnut.

Oh! Virginia! That explains it. It's because the FFV just can't bear to say "pee-can" and insist on something more delicate for their sensitive ears.

lowell holmes
08-01-2017, 1:27 PM
I should have mentioned that I hate saw bolts and nuts that are not brass.:)

lowell holmes
08-01-2017, 5:04 PM

This is my idea of a nice saw handle.

Mike Baker 2
08-01-2017, 5:50 PM
Oh! Virginia! That explains it. It's because the FFV just can't bear to say "pee-can" and insist on something more delicate for their sensitive ears.

James, you might be right. :D

lowell holmes
08-01-2017, 6:45 PM
By the way,
That saw I posted is a Disston Panel Saw with a nib. I think it is an 1800's saw plate.

steven c newman
08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
20" Disston...the "8" is inside the D in the etch....10ppi skew back
Might be a decent handle
Now hanging in the saw till...

Mike Baker 2
08-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Very nice.