PDA

View Full Version : Parsons leg table

Steve Jenkins
06-23-2003, 3:52 PM
Here are a couple shots of a dining table that will have a glass insert. It is unfinished in these pics. It is made from maple and will get a fairly dark stain. Steve

Steve Jenkins
06-23-2003, 3:54 PM
OOPS. I guess I did something wrong since the pics aren't in the msg. you have to click on them to see them. Steve

Dave Arbuckle
06-23-2003, 3:55 PM
Dang, Steve, you and miters... ;)

That looks great!

Dave

Jason Roehl
06-23-2003, 4:06 PM
Pretty tight 3-way miters!! I'm impressed!

Bob Lasley
06-23-2003, 5:41 PM
Nice detail Steve and nice miters! Looking forward to the finished pic.

Bob

Bobby Hatfield
06-23-2003, 5:43 PM
Here are a couple shots of a dining table that will have a glass insert. It is unfinished in these pics. It is made from maple and will get a fairly dark stain. Steve

OK, so how did you put it together ? Did you use steel bolts or pins in the joint or is it a secret ?

Von Bickley
06-23-2003, 8:46 PM
Steve,

Great looking work. Thanks for letting us see it.

Joe Tonich
06-23-2003, 9:46 PM
OK, so how did you put it together ? Did you use steel bolts or pins in the joint or is it a secret ?

Looking forward to the answer to this. Nice job!

Joe

David Blangger
06-23-2003, 10:38 PM
But...like others I'm waiting for the rest of the story :) Fantastic miters.

David

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Really nice work, Steve. The shaper cutter must have been pretty big for the profile.

Steve Jenkins
06-24-2003, 7:02 AM
The table gets a flush glass top so rather than rabbetting the rails I added a seperate piece on the inside that was 3/8 thick and covered the rail except for the top 1/4" to form the "rabbet". This allowed me to place two screws from the rails into each leg then cover them. When I assembled the rails first I put a biscuit (Can you say floating tenon?)in each corner and when I atached the legs put in two more on each leg. In the past I have made these without the screws and had no problem but this table was to replace one made by someone else that they managed to break. I wanted to be extra sure.The legs are 3" square and I did the profile with a molding head on my shaper. I was going to do them in my woodmaster planer/molder but the size of the knife wouldn't let the feed rollers touch even when set at full depth. Years ago I did run a piece of 8/4 maple 11" wide through it for a particular profile by hand without using the feed rollers. NEVER AGAIN! Makes a really big missile when it gets away from you. Steve

Carl Eyman
06-24-2003, 7:46 AM
Great Work!