PDA

View Full Version : Two Chisels

steven c newman
07-29-2017, 9:57 PM
Decided it was just too nice of a day outside.....time for a road trip.....wound up at an Antique Mall south of here....The Boss, my son, and I spent over 2 hours prowling through the place....and only saw half of the stalls.....

Found one stall.....looked like someone had cleaned out a Sears AND a Woodcraft stores' tool sections...:eek: There was enough to fill the back end of a pickup truck!

Looked over the top shelf full of planes.....didn't see any I really needed, right now. Got to one shelf..with 200+ chisels dumped onto it....dug through, and found a couple non-plastic handled ones....just two. There were others....but, none were really worth it to pick them up......pitted, or used up blades....cracked handles.....so, for $7 and change..
Biggie is 1-1/4" wide...the wee one is just a 1/4"....
Not the sharpest tack in the bunch....the wide one does have a name of sorts stamped into the blade..." ----- Tool Co.,then below that..-----ranted.....maybe Ohio Tool Co./ Warranted?
Haven't found any names on the blue wonder...
Big one has been beat to Ellenback. Not sure IF I'd hit the other handle....
The blue one tapers a bit from the edge. Whoever said these were sharp...lied.

Still, it was a pretty decent day. Nice family road trip, and Five Guys Burgers for supper:D Was a nice day off from the shop.

Jim Koepke
07-30-2017, 3:06 AM
I have a few 1-1/4" chisels and they all get used.

Same with the 1/4" chisels only there are a few more. Recently bought a couple more to grind with a skewed edge. Those are handy for cleaning up dovetails.

jtk

steven c newman
07-30-2017, 9:44 AM
I suppose I could try to at least fix that beat up end? Not sure about a whole new handle....need to regrind that nasty edge to try to sharpen it.

The1/4" LOOKS like a mortise chisel...but....the edge has a flaired out profile. Cutting edge is wider that the squared shaft. Might be a clean up tool...

lowell holmes
07-30-2017, 9:59 AM

Here are two chisels I resurrected, an 1 3/4" flat side and a 2" bevel edge.
The handles are oak and the rings are made from plumbing drain pipe.

Stew Denton
07-30-2017, 1:35 PM
Steven,

I have read that some of the mortising chisels are flared the way you describe the 1/4" chisel, wider on the front than the back. Thus, I am thinking that it could be a mortising chisel.

Stew

Jim Koepke
07-30-2017, 2:29 PM
The side view makes it look like it could be used for chopping a mortise.

Maybe someone added paint for a depth gauge.

jtk

steven c newman
07-31-2017, 1:50 PM
Maybe it was a Blue Grass chisel?

Also brought these two items home from another place, Sunday...
Dollar each....blades are 9" long. Rosewood, brass and steel. Came from a plastic tub marked "Anything in the box $1" OK....happened to look on a shelf above that tub....slightly smaller square...$5? Pass.

Will try to clean these two up, later....

lowell holmes
07-31-2017, 4:44 PM
I thought firmer chisels were mortise chisels at one time. I still have some I chop mortises with when I need to.
It is also handy to grind an old beater down to width if you need a strange mortise size.

Richard Verwoest
07-31-2017, 4:57 PM
I think the blue chisel may be a Handy Andy.

steven c newman
07-31-2017, 8:21 PM
Both have been cleaned up, and sharpened..
BLO on the firmer chisel's handle, hoop has been fixed. As for the squares..
9" blades are cleaned up, brass shined up..
Brass pins in the handles?
I guess to hold this in place...handles have been given a wipe-on/wipe-off coat of BLO....
Not too bad of a weekend?

Patrick Chase
07-31-2017, 11:00 PM
I have a few 1-1/4" chisels and they all get used.

Same with the 1/4" chisels only there are a few more. Recently bought a couple more to grind with a skewed edge. Those are handy for cleaning up dovetails.

jtk

Indeed. I have a pair of 1/4" chisels ground at 11 deg (1:6) for exactly that purpose. I also reground the side bevels all the way to the back.

Ray Selinger
08-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Funny how it works, when I started rust hunting, it was 1 1/4" chisels I was finding. Now it's 1".

steven c newman
08-01-2017, 11:09 PM
I did try to use the 1/4" chisel......not sure who measured it, but it is a bit wider than the 1/4". I may use the 1-1/4" one to trim tenons with. Back is flat, still working on what bevel to use...right now it is 30 degrees.

Been using the squares quite a bit, lately.....I have a 10" Stanley.....just seems a tad too big.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2017, 1:43 AM
Been using the squares quite a bit, lately.....I have a 10" Stanley.....just seems a tad too big.

!0" too big? I have been sort of looking for a14" or one with 12" of exposed blade.

jtk

lowell holmes
08-03-2017, 10:38 PM
I did try to use the 1/4" chisel......not sure who measured it, but it is a bit wider than the 1/4". I may use the 1-1/4" one to trim tenons with. Back is flat, still working on what bevel to use...right now it is 30 degrees.

It would be easy to grind to 1/4" if you want to.