PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur Table Saw Fence Problems

Joe Hollis
07-29-2017, 6:48 PM
I have the Canadian made by Somerville Design version of an Excalibur fence mounted on my General 350 10" table saw. Sommerville is long out of business, and no replacement parts are to be had for this product. Perhaps the fence is showing its age not (around 12 years) and no matter how much time I spend trying to adjust it to be parallel with the blade, it does not hold that setting very long (measured in days). Further, when I lock the handle down at any position on the front fence rail, it seems to want to find almost a detent of sorts, as just before the handle reaches its final locking position, the fence shifts about a 1/32"-1/16". I had a friend try it to see if it was something I was doing, but the fence treated him the same way...

I cannot see anything obviously wrong with it when I took it off the rails and inspected it. I do lubricate the cam as they recommend, and have done so since I bought the saw. I thought this was a great fence when I got it, but it does not seem to be nearly as accurate or consistent as what many of you enjoy on your saws with other brands of fences. I was thinking about perhaps replacing this saw with a Felder saw next year, but after a coffee, notepad and calculator, realized that such a purchase is going to have to wait a while yet.

If this was your saw, would you consider replacing the fence with the Incra fence? It gets really good reviews, and seems to be well-made and very accurate. The General saw itself is in excellent condition, and is equipped with a 5 h.p. Baldor motor.

All opinions/advice welcome; thank you all in advance.

Joe

Mark Carlson
07-29-2017, 7:17 PM
I'm not familiar with that fence. Is it like a b-meyer style fence with rails? Do you have a picture? You can certainly replace the fence with an incra or maybe a VSCTools fence. I have a 650 with the VSCTools fence which I love.

Marc Jeske
07-29-2017, 7:33 PM
Joe - Have you already read through the Advanced search results for "Excalibur Fence" ?

Lots of posts, would hope would help you. Marc

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=8256354

Joe Hollis
07-29-2017, 8:28 PM
Thanks and thank you for reminding me to search first before posting. I did look, and none of those posts relate to the same problem I am having. I'll have another go at the fence tomorrow. I remember using a tape measure to set the fence on my first table saw; perhaps I need to go back to that practice..... :O(

Joe - Have you already read through the Advanced search results for "Excalibur Fence" ?

Lots of posts, would hope would help you. Marc

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=8256354