PDA

View Full Version : Granite tiles cracking? Any ideas?

Bill Stearns
07-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Hi All,
I’ve, for years, been laser engraving text & peoples’ & pets’ photos into black granite tiles.
Using the solid black tiles I’ve bought at Home Depot; later, the ‘granite tiles’ purchased from Johnson Plastics/LaserBits. Often enough, my customers embed these tiles into formed concrete slabs; as a less costly alternative to professionally made foot-stone markers.

Have never had an issue with these tiles cracking, when embedded “flat” into the ground. However, for one project, the granite tile was mounted into a large, upstanding, rock boulder; the tile set recessed into a sandblasted rectangle area.(using construction adhesive.) After ‘bout a year, the HD granite cracked, so I replaced it with the JP granite tile. Now, I’ve learned (again, after ‘bout a year) that this granite tile has also cracked!

Probably due, more than likely, to our dramatic climate changes here in Minnesota? But, just wondering if you’ve got any ideas as to how I might “strengthen” the granite tile? - like, maybe, adhering a sheet of aluminum, or some other material, on the back side? Or, any other clever ideas to keep tiles from cracking! (BTW: the tiles are sealed well ‘nough to prevent moisture from seeping behind.)

This tile ‘n boulder commerate a veteran KIA in Iraq; so, this next granite tile, well, I’ve just got’ a get it right!
Eager to hear! - thanks!

Bill

Scott Shepherd
07-29-2017, 1:25 PM
Use Silicone instead of construction adhesive. The tile needs to be able to move. Pure silicone, the adhesive kind that dries, not the stuff that never dries.

John Lifer
07-29-2017, 2:12 PM
You and Scott both hit it. Probably moisture, especially If ice and snow can get behind it. But yes it needs to move. And put the lines of silicone adhsive vertical to help with the moisture draining out from behind. And are you sure it is cracking and not vandalism?

Bill Stearns
07-29-2017, 7:26 PM
John and Scott
Thanks! This next go ‘round I’ll recommend they apply Silicone to the tile back, as you suggested. (‘stead of construction adhesive; whatever that is?) Is the idea to allow the granite tile to “float” within the sandblasted inset area? ‘stead of being solidly attached to the boulder’s surface - or did I misunderstand? and, of course, to seal the edges so moisture can't seep behind?

Strange you mentioned the possibility of “vandalism”? - My customer ‘n I had considered this; guess it might’ve been? I was saying, if the granite’s not holding up, we might consider my producing a cast brass or bronze plaque instead. She told me that vandals in our area have been stealing those small brass “stars” on the grave sites of Vets. That they might very well steal a brass plaque for it’s melt-down value. ? So, thinking we may try the granite; ‘least one more time.

Thanks ‘gain for the advice.
Bill

John Lifer
07-30-2017, 8:09 PM
If there has been stolen brass bronze plaques culd hav been a bash when they saw it was marble. I would think you could determine if it had been hit. Hopefully not. Good luck!

Bill George
07-31-2017, 9:23 AM
Is it flat on the ground or vertical ? I would suspect the riding lawn mower either driving over it or a rock hit. I have had a memorial for my black Lab outside for nearly 3 years.

Bill Stearns
08-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Morning All,
I drove out to the ballpark, yesterday, snapped ‘couple pictures of that (memorial) granite tile that had cracked. (Will try to attach ‘em to this post.)

My customer picked up the replacement; was very pleased, but we’re both kinda leary, now, of future cracking. (second granite tile that has cracked over the course of ‘couple years.) Looks to me as if some sort of silicone had been used to embed the tile into the sandblasted recessed area. I touched it; was kind’ a soft to the touch, not hard-dried. (BTW: Fact that the “clear adhesive” discolored so terribly ‘round the edges didn’t seem to bother my customer, but bothers me. - any thoughts on how to solve?)

Anyway, didn’t look like vandalism, as we thought it might be. Could be the extreme heat we’ve had this summer. ? - was hard to tell, but looked like it had enough space for expansion ‘n contraction. ? - if that can happen with stone.? Any more experienced advice on best way to attach granite to stone, which product to use ‘n how to apply it would sure be helpful.

Bill

Doug Fisher
08-01-2017, 1:09 PM
How thick is the tile? Can you get thicker for next time? I could see how a black tile in the sun on a super hot day would expand and contract at a different rate compared to the big lighter-colored stone.

Since the area around the tile is filled in with grout or whatever (hard to tell from the picture), that would limit the ability of the black tile to expand independently since it is locked in around the edges.