PDA

View Full Version : Sears Sander Part Needed

CPeter James
07-29-2017, 8:59 AM
I am trying to repair a sander for a friend in Alaska. The idler drum (pulley) that I need is not available any longer - listed as NLA. It is 3" in diameter and 6" wide. I can get a drum from Grizzly but I don't know what the diameter is. If someone would measure the drum on their Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic, Harbor Freight, etc and let me know if there is one that is the correct diameter, I can probably use it by machining a new shaft. The hard part it getting a drum.
I would just buy him a new HF sander, but they need too much set up work to make usable and shipping is an issue as he does not have Fedex or UPS service where he is located, so repairing this one seems to be the best solution.
Thanks
Peter

Marc Jeske
07-29-2017, 6:37 PM
Is this for a stationary Craftsman 6x 48" belt ?

What is wrong w the old drum ?

ID sloppy ?

It cannot be repaired ?

Marc

CPeter James
07-29-2017, 7:41 PM
What is wrong w the old drum ? The bearings floated around in the bore and wallowed it out about 1/8" oversized.

ID sloppy ? Sloppy is not the word I would use. Worse than slopp

It cannot be repaired ? I am going to try to machine a steel sleeve and machine the sleeve back to 32mm. the original bearings were 30mm but I can do better with the 32 mm bearings.

Looking for a source of a replacement if this doesn't work. Not much meat left in the center where the bearings go. If I know what size some other brand of sander was, I could make a new shaft if I had to. BTW, the shaft is scored too, but I knurled it and turned it back to the correct size.
Peter

Marc Jeske
07-29-2017, 8:11 PM
"It cannot be repaired ? I am going to try to machine a steel sleeve and machine the sleeve back to 32mm. the original bearings were 30mm but I can do better with the 32 mm bearings."

I'm not a Machinist, but yes, I had something like that in mind.

Basically somehow mill or drill out and re bush.

Sounds like you have it covered. Marc

CPeter James
07-30-2017, 7:49 AM
Just trying to get some information. Would someone who has a 6x48 belt sander please measure the diameter of the idler drum for me. I need one 3" in diameter. I would really like to have a new one rather than try to fix this one. It has to go to Alaska and I would like it to be as right as I can get it. All I would need is the model and brand of the machine so I could try to order one. A newer machine would give me a better chance of the part being available.
Thank you.
Peter

Marc Jeske
07-31-2017, 1:17 PM
CPeter - According to a Grizzly Salesguy in the Missouri showroom, drum is 6 1/16" x 3 1/16" measured accurately w a ruler and eyes.....The shaft is 31/64 measured w a Micrometer, immediately outside the snap ring.

The measurements were taken off of a machine in showroom, so unable to confirm actual bore ID or anything not exposed.

Tech phone guys did not have dimensional drawing available.. only "parts catalog".. as I expected.

Drum -- Grizzly Part # P1014064B

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g1014z_pl.pdf

Hope that helps.

Now, if you could give me the same 3 dimensions off the old Craftsman drum and shaft, that would help me.

In other words, will this part work w/o machining, bottom line.

I have no Lathe.

I may have to be doing this same repair soon on my Craftsman. Marc

Marc Jeske
07-31-2017, 3:14 PM
Turns out in the meantime, a second Grizzly guy did the same measurements, at a different located machine.

This time I asked the exact Machine stock # - G1014Z.

He used a vernier caliper for all measurements.

6 1/16" x 3". Shaft outside snap ring - 12 mm.

He said - "It takes a 6201 Series Metric Bearing", whatever that means I'm not familiar.

Marc