PDA

View Full Version : wireless help

Bert Kemp
07-28-2017, 11:50 AM
woke up this morning went to my lap top to download paper work and it tells me I have no wireless connection available. Funny because yesterday and the previous 5 years it had wireless and everything worked just fine. I tried the trouble shooter no help. Does anyone know how to get it working again?

Dave Richards
07-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Try rebooting the router and your computer.

Bert Kemp
07-28-2017, 12:22 PM
yea I've done all the trouble shooting, rebooting, updated drivers, and all that stuff still says no connection available

Peter Christensen
07-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Do you have internet when you plug the laptop directly into the router?

Bert Kemp
07-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Yes I just ran a 50 cable so I can download this paperwork. Still need the wireless fixed, I'll be tripping over this cable all the time and now the cat wants to play with the wire LOL

Do you have internet when you plug the laptop directly into the router?

Peter Christensen
07-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Probably need a new modem. When we lived on the west coast Telus provided them. Here we buy our own. Our Apple airport kacked after 7 months just after a series of big lightning storms went through the area. Everything else plugged into the power bar are fine. Now we wait for the service centre to tell us it doesn't work and whether we get a new one on warranty or not.

Jerome Stanek
07-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Go into device manager and uninstall your wireless adapter then restart and search for new hardware

Doug Garson
07-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Is your laptop the only wireless device you have? If not, do other devices connect? Can you connect your laptop to other networks (like Starbucks?)This will narrow down whether it is your router or laptop that has the problem.

Nathan Johnson
07-28-2017, 1:11 PM
Any chance you've upgraded from Win7 or 8 to Win10 recently?
After my Win10 update, I continually need to refresh my IP for some reason.

Mike Henderson
07-28-2017, 1:25 PM
I have Win10 and have had it for quite a while and don't have any problems with my WiFi. I suspect the wireless part of the unit died. The new Wireless routers are quite a bit better than the older ones. I recently put a new one in my shop and the range is much further than with my old one. Just for that, I'd recommend getting a new unit. Look for the wireless routers with multiple antennas (my new one has four antennas).

I have two wireless routers in my home and I'm thinking of replacing the other one for the same reason - range.

Mike

Curt Harms
07-28-2017, 2:03 PM
As the others have said, unplug and restart everything starting at the wall. Modem first then router (if separate) then PC. Do you have a phone that has WiFi? Whether that works or not should help narrow it down to modem/router or PC. If you suspect the PC, there are some pretty reasonable USB WiFi adapters available on Amazon or Ebay. I'm not sure what's available at Walmart/Staples/Bestbuy etc. etc. I'm not a Windows user for the most part but Windows 10 installs updates whenever it feels like it. Could a Windows Update be the cause?

Barry McFadden
07-28-2017, 2:29 PM
My laptop continually loses the wifi connection ......... not a big deal because we don't use it for anything important... I run the troubleshooter and it resets my wireless adaptor and everything is fine again. I'm pretty sure it's the wireless adaptor in the laptop that's acting up. I've taken it out and cleaned the connections a few times. The problem isn't bad enough for me to worry about but I'm pretty sure if I got a new adaptor it would fix the problem.... possibly you need a new wireless adaptor for the laptop?

Bert Kemp
07-28-2017, 6:26 PM
yes my phone connects, my wireless speaker and headphones all work I've tried all the suggestions nothing works. I updated all drivers disconnected everything, rebooted ya da yada yada and still no connection, So were is the wire less adapter and how do I replace it.
My laptop continually loses the wifi connection ......... not a big deal because we don't use it for anything important... I run the troubleshooter and it resets my wireless adaptor and everything is fine again. I'm pretty sure it's the wireless adaptor in the laptop that's acting up. I've taken it out and cleaned the connections a few times. The problem isn't bad enough for me to worry about but I'm pretty sure if I got a new adaptor it would fix the problem.... possibly you need a new wireless adaptor for the laptop?

Jerome Stanek
07-28-2017, 6:50 PM
I have one of these in one of my laptops

http://www.microcenter.com/product/411056/W311Mi_Wireless_N_Pico_USB_20_Adapter

Barry McFadden
07-28-2017, 8:50 PM
yes my phone connects, my wireless speaker and headphones all work I've tried all the suggestions nothing works. I updated all drivers disconnected everything, rebooted ya da yada yada and still no connection, So were is the wire less adapter and how do I replace it.

Mine is in the bottom of the laptop...one screw and the cover comes of then I just pulled out the small wireless card. For your laptop just search for where it is and I'm sure you will be able to get at it. Mine is about 1/3 of the size of a memory chip

Mike Henderson
07-28-2017, 8:58 PM

They're not replaceable on some PCs. But you can buy a WiFi adapter that plugs into a USB port. They're quite inexpensive. Here's one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGETQJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Mike

Barry McFadden
07-28-2017, 9:09 PM
Mine is in the back of my laptop....just removed the cover to get access to it..2 screws and it comes out... here are a couple of pics...yours may be different or may even be part of the motherboard...

Bert Kemp
07-29-2017, 1:33 AM
I'll check both options out thanks guys[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;2711694]They're not replaceable on some PCs. But you can buy a WiFi adapter that plugs into a USB port. They're quite inexpensive. Here's one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGETQJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Mike[/QUOTE"
I

Curt Harms
07-29-2017, 9:11 AM
They're not replaceable on some PCs. But you can buy a WiFi adapter that plugs into a USB port. They're quite inexpensive. Here's one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGETQJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Mike

That's what I'd do. Get a USB with an external antenna if your wifi signal isn't very strong where you normally use it or a USB adapter like Jerome linked to if you're using a laptop and want to leave it installed. Some laptops are simple to replace the WiFi card, others require significant disassembly. I imagine in the case of the 'ultraportable' machines the wifi components are soldered to the motherboard. Good luck replacing that.

John K Jordan
07-29-2017, 10:53 AM
... [where] the wifi components are soldered to the motherboard. Good luck replacing that.

In that case I might consider a new laptop; computers (and components) are getting so cheap they are almost free these days. :) I put a 1000 gigs of SSD storage in this new one and couldn't believe how much the price has dropped.

It depends on the situation, of course, but at some point replacing the entire machine almost makes more sense than upgrading or repair and you get the advantage of the latest technology. The WiFi on this one, for example, is far better than my last laptop, the screen is better, etc.

JKJ

Mike Henderson
07-29-2017, 2:12 PM
In that case I might consider a new laptop; computers (and components) are getting so cheap they are almost free these days. :) I put a 1000 gigs of SSD storage in this new one and couldn't believe how much the price has dropped.

It depends on the situation, of course, but at some point replacing the entire machine almost makes more sense than upgrading or repair and you get the advantage of the latest technology. The WiFi on this one, for example, is far better than my last laptop, the screen is better, etc.

JKJ

While computers are getting less expensive, the issue for me is moving everything I have on my existing computer to a new computer. The data is easy. But i have LOTS of application programs on my computer - some of which I downloaded and don't have an installation disk or USB. Heck, I don't even know all the applications I have on my computer but when I need one for a special need, I want to have it available.

Mainly because of that, I prefer to keep my existing computer going for as long as I can. The biggest improvement in performance is to replace a mechanical disk drive with a Solid State Drive (SSD). If you've never used a computer with an SSD you won't believe how fast it runs with one. Buy a Samsung because the drives work well and Samsung has an excellent free migration program that you can download from their site. SSDs are not cheap - a 1TB Samsung is over $300 new but I've purchased them used on eBay for less - but still over $200.

If your problem is an old version of WiFi, buy a USB WiFi with the latest version. You can get a USB hub and put the WiFi in the hub so it isn't in your way (if that's a problem).

Eventually, you'll have to upgrade. Your USB ports will be too slow, or your memory size will be too limited, or something. But you can keep an older computer going and performing very adequately for a long time.

Of course, if you don't have many applications on your computer, it can be easier to just replace the computer. If Microsoft wants to do something that will increase the sales of computers, they should offer a migration program that moves EVERYTHING from one computer to another (especially all the applications) and registers the software on the new computer. This is so obvious I don't know why they haven't done it yet. If I purchase a new iPhone, everything can be moved to the new phone quickly. The new phone will look exactly like the old phone - all the applications will be there and the system will remember all my preferences. Apple does this so much better than Microsoft.

Mike

P.S. What I have now is a laptop with a four core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB Samsung SSD. It has decent WiFi (not the latest) and Bluetooth. Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0. I have a powered hub on one of the USB 3.0 ports so I can connect more than two devices, and a powered hub on one of the USB 2.0 ports for low speed stuff, such as connecting my mouse, my iPhone and/or digital camera.

Curt Harms
07-29-2017, 3:48 PM
I think Microsoft would much rather you rent your applications rather than own them. That way you'll always have the latest version, latest fixes etc. etc.

And you'll be paying rent to Microsoft every month (or whatever period)for the foreseeable future. They've been trying implement that for years., wanted to be just like any other utility.

John K Jordan
07-29-2017, 4:40 PM
...the issue for me is moving everything I have on my existing computer to a new computer. The data is easy. But i have LOTS of application programs on my computer - some of which I downloaded and don't have an installation disk or USB. ...

Keeping up with software is an effort. I always bought the CD version if available and kept the CD, all previous CDs if upgrading, manual or startup notes, and receipt in the original box on the shelf. For downloaded software, I kept a directory tree with all of my install files including all older versions. For each, I make a CODES.TXT file with any activation codes, URLs, support numbers, and customization notes. Like all critical data, I was never without at least three copies in different places including on external HDs and USB drive. What a pain to set up but so useful when needed.

Making all the software play nicely together was even worse. When I was doing 3D modeling/animation I bought new computers regularly to stay on top of the curve. Every time I changed hardware it took me around 100 hours to install, re-customize, and interconnect everything. Dreaded it, but the increase in processing power was well worth it, especially when rendering a single animation might take overnight even with 2-3 machines on my little render farm. One odd thing: although every generation was much more powerful than the last, for several decades a new high end system was always about the same, about $10K!

Now I'm retired all this sits unused where I walked away from it. Anyone need some high-end video hardware/software? Only a decade or two out of date!

JKJ

Mike Gresham
07-30-2017, 10:30 AM
A while back my niece calls in a panic because her laptop was saying no wireless connection available. So, I trek over to see if I can help. Took the wife's laptop and it connected up immediately. Went through the trouble shooter, but no joy. Finally, I'm sitting there stumped staring at the keyboard. Then I see the wireless toggle and figure I've nothing to loose so I punch it. Poof, every thing is well. Apparently, she had fat fingered it at some point. I still don't understand why the OS couldn't just say the radio was off.

May or may not be your problem, but it would seem you have nothing to loose at this point.

Mike Henderson
07-30-2017, 12:41 PM
A while back my niece calls in a panic because her laptop was saying no wireless connection available. So, I trek over to see if I can help. Took the wife's laptop and it connected up immediately. Went through the trouble shooter, but no joy. Finally, I'm sitting there stumped staring at the keyboard. Then I see the wireless toggle and figure I've nothing to loose so I punch it. Poof, every thing is well. Apparently, she had fat fingered it at some point. I still don't understand why the OS couldn't just say the radio was off.

May or may not be your problem, but it would seem you have nothing to lose at this point.

If she has Win 10 and you click on the connectivity icon in the lower right hand corner, it will pull up a display that tells you the status of your connection, either WiFi or Ethernet. At the bottom of that display, you'll see a box labeled "WiFi". If you click on that and Wifi is turned off, it will give you the option to turn it back on. I don't know if that works when you have a physical switch to turn the Wifi on and off, but you should see that WiFi is turned off.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
08-01-2017, 7:11 PM
I think Microsoft would much rather you rent your applications rather than own them. That way you'll always have the latest version, latest fixes etc. etc.

And you'll be paying rent to Microsoft every month (or whatever period)for the foreseeable future. They've been trying implement that for years., wanted to be just like any other utility.
Actually...the true genius of Bill Gates & the real source of all his billions - stems from his one single true software innovation......

Even though you "buy" Microsoft software, you don't own it.

You licence it.

Microsoft still owns it, you just agree to use it under their terms.

Mike Henderson
08-01-2017, 8:10 PM
Actually...the true genius of Bill Gates & the real source of all his billions - stems from his one single true software innovation......

Even though you "buy" Microsoft software, you don't own it.

You licence it.

Microsoft still owns it, you just agree to use it under their terms.

All software companies spend enormous sums to develop the software they sell. It would not be fair if you could "buy" that software for $100 (for example) and use it as the base of software that you start selling. The license limits what you can do with the software, but you can turn around and sell your license to someone else and they can use the software.

I just did that with a computer I sold. I had Win 10 on it and sold it to a friend. I cancelled the computer (and that copy of Win 10) on my account at Microsoft and he was able to register that copy of Win 10 in his name.

I think that arrangement is very fair and protects the company and their investment.

Mike

[You can't "buy" a book and make copies of it and sell it on the open market, either. And that's not even something that's licensed.]