PDA

View Full Version : can this plane be fixed

Erik Christensen
07-27-2017, 3:08 PM
Got some rust on my Clifton No 5 that had not been used in a while; so I tore it all down to clean it up. While re threading the adjuster knob I did not notice I had managed to jam the blade so that is was not moving and when I over torqued the adjuster I broke one of the arms off the yoke - major bummer.

Yoke looks pinned in by factory, and I can't find even an entire replacement frog much less just the yoke (assuming it was replaceable).

did I just make an expensive door-stop or is the fixable?

if yes - where might I look for parts?

TIA

Jason Dean
07-27-2017, 3:18 PM
Erik,

If the Clifton's are anything like the Stanley planes the yoke is attached with a tapered pin. You can tell by comparing the diameters on either side of the pin. A punch will knock the pin out gently in the right direction.

If you can't find the Clifton yoke, I might be tempted to spend the $5 (a certain popular auction site) on the Stanley yoke to see if it would fit.

Hasin Haroon
07-27-2017, 3:18 PM
That really is a bummer. I would try to contact Clifton - I hear good things about their planes, and if they are anything like their counterparts across the pond, they will fix it, or send you a new yoke...or let you purchase a new frog. I wouldn't call it a doorstop just yet.

Jim Koepke
07-27-2017, 6:06 PM
Howdy Erik,

Read this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

In about the 8th entry a yoke is being removed. Give it a try and if it works send me a private message with your shipping information. There is probably at least one spare yoke in my parts boxes.

You may need to paint it to match if that bothers you.

jtk

Patrick Chase
07-27-2017, 6:31 PM
There is probably at least one spare yoke in my parts boxes.

There you go again, threatening to show somebody your junk.

EDIT: For those who don't read SMC compulsively, I'm referencing http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?256123-First-and-last-Stanley-handplane-restoration&p=2707625#post2707625

Jerry Olexa
07-27-2017, 9:50 PM
Try the auction site....