PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0690 Tablesaw - is it still using a leeson motor?

Jonathan Maier
07-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a Grizzly G0690 tablesaw and have been reading many post in this forum about the fact that it's using a 3hp leeson motor. A friend of mine purchased the saw recently and is happy with it but, upon looking at it, it does not appear that the motor is a leeson. I attached a picture of the motor's plate.

What are your thoughts? Has grizzly downgraded the motor quality in order to keep price competitive?

Thank you364730

Cary Falk
07-27-2017, 2:29 PM
I think the 690 had an Asian made Leeson in the first place. Hard to say if the quality has dropped

Rick Potter
07-27-2017, 2:29 PM
For the correct answer, I would simply call Grizzly. It's toll free, and the tech department was very cooperative when I asked them some questions.

David Kumm
07-27-2017, 2:46 PM
Leeson produces motors in China and other countries, as do Euro motor companies. Baldor is still US made- to my knowledge. If you can't tell from the plate, look at the efficiency. If blank or in low to mid 80's, likely not made in US where there are minimum standards. Dave

ken carroll
07-28-2017, 2:25 PM
I bought a new Grizzly cabinet saw probably 20 years ago, it's long gone BUT its 3hp taiwan made motor ran stronger and just as smoothly as any of the unisaw or PM66s (four in total) I've had. Strange, but true. Had that saw maybe 8-10 years and it was great.

So maybe don't worry too much about Leeson or not.

Jonathan Maier
07-28-2017, 3:27 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Mike Chalmers
07-28-2017, 6:40 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Was there a question?

Curt Harms
07-29-2017, 8:26 AM
I bought a new Grizzly cabinet saw probably 20 years ago, it's long gone BUT its 3hp taiwan made motor ran stronger and just as smoothly as any of the unisaw or PM66s (four in total) I've had. Strange, but true. Had that saw maybe 8-10 years and it was great.

So maybe don't worry too much about Leeson or not.

Ditto. I've had an original G1023 since probably 1997. It isn't heavily used but no problem with the 3 h.p. motor and this is from an era when Grizzly machines didn't have a great reputation.