PDA

View Full Version : POLL: If you had to choose just one brand of woodworking power tools . . .

Tom Dworzanski
07-27-2017, 12:56 AM
I know this is ridiculous and probably not constructive at all. But just for fun, I want to ask the question:

If money was not an issue, and you had no limitations on space/power/time/etc, and you had to buy a shop full of new woodworking stationary power tools, and you could choose only one brand, which brand would you choose?

Marc Jeske
07-27-2017, 1:48 AM
To make this more accurate, you need to specify handheld... OR stationary.

ALSO, you CANNOT for an accurate result picture just say "Delta", or "Powermatic" ,.........you need to differentiate between Old Iron USA made, and current relative offshore Asian.

That would include Canadian General vs foreign General and any other brand also.

USA made vs. offshore, (meaning specifically Asian, NOT including Italian, German, generally "European" made, Canadian, etc) two VERY VERY Different animals.

This isn't a Flag waving thing, It is a quality, longevity,sturdiness, quality of build thing.

So, again... myself, cannot vote w/o that info.

Just my thoughts. Marc

Marc Jeske
07-27-2017, 1:50 AM
Reading your OP again, I guess you did use the word "New".

I myself have little interest in that, For most tools anyway, especially stationary, when USA made Old Iron is available.

Certainly some European made is very good, but virtually NOTHING Chinese or anywhere near there. (A few exceptions possibly, but very few) Marc

Rick Fisher
07-27-2017, 2:35 AM
Only one brand I would choose Felder .. SCM doesn't have dust collection. My favorite brand is Martin but they have 4 tools plus a bunch of Griggio stuff which is also very good.

Felder because I would have great quality and dust collection ..

Tom Dworzanski
07-27-2017, 2:43 AM
Reading your OP again, I guess you did use the word "New".

Yeah, I guess I'm curious to know who people thing is making the best tools overall now. So one requirement in my question (in the original post) is that the tools have to be new. I def respect what you're saying about Asian and how current tools often can't compare.

Chris Parks
07-27-2017, 5:52 AM
Felder.......

Wayne Lomman
07-27-2017, 5:58 AM
No way is any one manufacturer better than the rest. I'm not an apologist for any of them. They have to try harder than that. Cheers

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2017, 8:09 AM
Hi, General machinery is no longer being made unfortunately. General International is still in business.

That said, for a survey asking about purchasing equipment based upon unlimited resources, you left out all the high end manufacturers.

I'd vote Felder and Martin.................Regards, Rod.

Randy Heinemann
07-27-2017, 8:11 AM
It's an impossible question to answer. First, none of us have experience with all of the brands (at least I doubt we do). Online reviews are just about useless. Plus, in reality, I have never chosen tools completely based on brand name. All companies make some tools that go to the top of the list and others that don't.

Nick Decker
07-27-2017, 8:28 AM
Maybe a better question is which Asian factory do you prefer?

Mike Manning
07-27-2017, 8:29 AM
To make this more accurate, you need to specify handheld... OR stationary.

ALSO, you CANNOT for an accurate result picture just say "Delta", or "Powermatic" ,.........you need to differentiate between Old Iron USA made, and current relative offshore Asian.

That would include Canadian General vs foreign General and any other brand also.

USA made vs. offshore, (meaning specifically Asian, NOT including Italian, German, generally "European" made, Canadian, etc) two VERY VERY Different animals.

This isn't a Flag waving thing, It is a quality, longevity,sturdiness, quality of build thing.

So, again... myself, cannot vote w/o that info.

Just my thoughts. Marc

You nailed it Marc.

John Piwaron
07-27-2017, 9:18 AM
I marked Delta. Because that's what I did. All my big tools (3 of them) are Delta. But today Delta isn't making all the big stuff I use.

So today, money and space being no object - Felder or Hammer. For the floor standing stuff.

Hand held/small stuff like a miter saw - that depends.

James Zhu
07-27-2017, 9:19 AM
I would buy European brands for stationary machines, just look at Martin USA website http://www.martin-usa.com/

For portable tools, I would buy Festool, Mafell (http://www.mafelltoolstore.com/), and Lamello (http://www.lamello.com/en/home/machine-wood/edge-processing/cantex-ergo.html)

For hand tools, certainly Lie-Nielsen or Veritas.

James

Matt Day
07-27-2017, 10:11 AM
You're right, this is ridiculous. You left out more manufacturers than you included - not to mention old iron was not included as said before.

First post too, welcome!

andy bessette
07-27-2017, 10:15 AM
It is really a silly premise for anyone with a "money-is-no-object" budget to handicap himself to only one brand of new machine. And, for the rest of us, not only does cost matter, but each set of personal machine parameters favor a certain few makers and eras.

Charles Lent
07-27-2017, 10:44 AM
I don't stick to one brand at all. When buying a power tool of any size I look at all that I believe might be good candidates for the application in my shop and then pick the one that seems to be the best fit for the need and most likely to be easy to get replacement parts and service for. A great high dollar tool that you can't get parts and service for is not a good deal at any price.

When buying smaller hand held power tools I do similar, but look for reputable brand names and then compare features and ease of use. As a result I have many different brands of hand held power tools. One brand may be best for their drills, but not so great with their routers, etc. so I buy based on who makes the best that also fits my needs best. With these, if you can get 5 or so years of use out of them, it doesn't matter so much if replacement parts become un-available. There are likely better designs available by then, so I just replace with the best available when the old one is no longer serviceable, sometimes staying with the same brand, but sometimes switching brands. For me, it always depends on who of the better brands is making the tool that best fits my needs and is the most reliable. I don't ever buy the most expensive, unless it offers something that is so much better that the others that makes it worth buying. I have Leigh Dovetail and FMT jigs for this reason, but I don't own any "Green Kool-Aid".

Others may not agree with me and that's OK with me, but this is how I do my woodworking. Please don't try to change me.

Charley

Brian Henderson
07-27-2017, 10:57 AM
There are all the problems that others have mentioned, plus I don't think it's even possible to buy all tools from the same manufacturer because most manufacturers don't make all the tools I would want to buy. I couldn't do it if I wanted to.

Tom Dworzanski
07-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Felder

Felder

Martin

Thanks guys! I've never heard much about these European brands (granted I'm fairly new to woodworking). Thanks for pointing them out!

When buying smaller hand held power tools . . . if you can get 5 or so years of use out of them, it doesn't matter so much if replacement parts become un-available. There are likely better designs available by then, so I just replace with the best available when the old one is no longer serviceable, sometimes staying with the same brand, but sometimes switching brands.

That sounds like a smart approach.

Maybe a better question is which Asian factory do you prefer?

Haha, well said.

General machinery is no longer being made unfortunately. General International is still in business . . . You left out all the high end manufacturers.

I meant General International. I didn't realize it was different than the old General. Thanks for pointing that out. Thanks for also pointing out these high-end manufacturers. I hadn't really heard of them before since I'm still pretty new to woodworking.

First post too, welcome!

Thank you!

Larry Edgerton
07-27-2017, 1:45 PM
None of the above.............

Bill Dindner
07-27-2017, 2:15 PM
I answered Powermatic, because it was on the list, but If money was no object is would be Felder

Marc Jeske
07-27-2017, 2:27 PM
Tom - If the intent of this poll is to gather info to help you choose equipment for a new shop, you would be best served to address - individually - separate tools in separate threads.. giving a budget, AND - VERY important - What you need it to do for YOUR needs.

We are more than glad to help you.

Explain YOUR situation, YOUR needs and ideas.

One of's ""Handmade"Artisanal" pieces,one a month, or production of large volumes, etc.

For example - You may ask...."The best Tablesaw?"

There is NO possible way to answer that w/o further info.

We need to know if your main use is sheetgoods, and, if so, what type of face veneer, and maybe some idea of max final piece size.

Unless you tell us, we have NO Idea if you will be cutting 8' high Armoire carcasses, or tiny music boxes.

It TOTALLY matters, different equip and procedures.

Or, is it solid hardwood, and maximum thickness and crosscut needed?

Together w that... quantities.. or "one of".

Or, if you don't know yet, then tell us that.

Years ago, I purchased an old but nice Northfield #4 saw w rolling table and sold it to a 70 yr in business custom door and window shop, my price was $600 at an auction, they paid me $3200 for it... to use for a specific dedicated purpose of some sort of mitering.

If they cut sheet goods, it would be WAY the wrong choice.

And we haven't even considered yet ... If you need mass production, than different levels of CNC equip may be best.

So, the answer to that is totally totally different machine types.

AND - This is my main point ----- Sure, some mfg's are better overall blanket than others, BUT...Different Manufacturers excell at DIFFERENT tools.

The ONLY thing it seems to me that we know, is you want NEW, not "Old Iron", ...

So, that generally speaking, means a higher budget needed.

If you need to focus on immediate production, new, supported equipment, is probably the way to go.

Most Old Iron needs some ( VERY varying depending on the individual machine) level of Love and time and effort to bring back to it's Glory Days.

But after that, w normal maintenance, may last for Generations after you are gone.

In some cases, WAY longer than much "New" equipment.

Many of us find it VERY worth our effort, YOU may not.

Fine. You have related that is your choice, so we got that.

You are in the right place for this, best and largest collection of pro and serious hobbyist Woodworking forum in the USA.

The Creek community is more than glad to help. and appreciate you, but Please, we need more info to help you intelligently. Marc

Bill Dufour
07-27-2017, 3:03 PM
I am 6'2" tall so I find many cheaper hand power tools are too small for my hands. My wife does not have that issue and she finds some too heavy. Pretty much all my stationary tools are raised by six inches or more to a comfortable height. If I was doing more with full sheets of plywood I would not have raised them so much.
i was surprised several years ago to find a chevy impala was too small for me while a Kia had good legroom and headroom. All the cars and trucks I have owned I have wrapped the steering wheel with a leather cover so it is bigger diameter. This makes it easier for me to grip with longer fingers.

Rick Fisher
07-27-2017, 3:28 PM
I thought it was a perfectly good question .. its a bit of a trick question because you have to make sure the supplier has everything you need..

On the best table saw .. I would say that is answerable.. but its a close contest.. The T-75 from Martin or the F45 Elmo from Altendorf.. Go to the AWFS and see for yourself.. If you choose either, you can't have a band-saw, dust collector etc.. because they're small manufacturers ..

Felder is a logical choice for a one branded shop .. even SCM can't fill all your needs.. I would rather a Martin or Altendorf than a Felder slider, but its a trick question.. I would rather a felder slider than no dust collection .. because sliders without dust collection aren't fun ..

The OP hadn't heard of these brands .. now he has .. That makes this a good post .. its what its all about ..

Peter Kuhlman
07-27-2017, 3:38 PM
There are so many things to consider when starting out. One of the best pieces of advice I received was to purchase tools slowly as I found a project need for them. It is really easy to get sucked into the newest gadget.
Shop work area space dimensions will have a major impact on what tools you can use. Need power tools on wheels? Can you set up some tools in permanent locations? Can you use bench top tools like planers and have the physical strength to move them if needed?
For some a jointer is critical but not for me, for some a morticing machine is needed but not for me, etc.
I highly recommend a cyclone dust chip collector like the Oneida - not the dust bag filter systems like the Jet. You will enjoy shop time much more, certain tools like planers and bandsaws really require it, definite health benefits. I got lucky and purchased a WoodSucker which was a start-up from a woodworker here but stopped making them. I also use Festool vacuums for portable tool dust collection.
I could write a book on my experiences!

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2017, 3:52 PM
There are all the problems that others have mentioned, plus I don't think it's even possible to buy all tools from the same manufacturer because most manufacturers don't make all the tools I would want to buy. I couldn't do it if I wanted to.

Brian, if I picked Felder I could get the saw/shaper/jointer/planer/morticer/bandsaw/dust extractor. That only leaves the drill press for me.......Rod.

Marc Jeske
07-27-2017, 4:01 PM
Why in the world would he need a Martin or Altendorf or Et Al if he going to make little music boxes, or Guitar components, or cheese cutting boards, or ?? ? ? ? ? ?

I may have missed something, but seems to me, We have NOOO idea what his needs are.

NO such thing as a blanket best manufacturer for ALL machines, generally anyway.

For all we know, he needs a Wood - Mizer, and just doesn't know about the brand yet.

Or for that matter, maybe he works in Marketing from one of his listed option Companies, and is conducting an informal poll from home.

He may even need to Google "What direction to install a circular saw blade" for all we know so far.

NOOO idea yet.

Marc

Rick Fisher
07-27-2017, 4:16 PM
Why in the world would he need a Martin or Altendorf or Et Al if he going to make little music boxes, or Guitars, or cheese cutting boards, or ?? ? ? ? ? ?

I may have missed something, but seems to me, We have NOOO idea what his needs are.

For all we know, he needs a Wood - Mizer, and just doesn't know about the brand yet.

Marc

He didn't ask us to determine his needs.. He didn't ask for financial planning or anything other than which brand we would pick .. He didn't know about these Euro brands which so many of us on this site use.. I think he got answers that are really interesting to him, and he's probably more than capable of making his own decisions.

Keith Hankins
07-27-2017, 4:18 PM
First off you need context on your poll. No one brand is best in all. I do love me some Powermatic, but overall best tool brand is FestooL IMO. Years ago it would have been Porter Cable but they went down hill. 2nd I would throw milwaukee tools. If it's tooling then whiteside. Sawblades, Forrest.

So you need to be a tad more specfic. TS brands, I go Sawstop (well now its festool too)

Earl Rumans
07-27-2017, 5:04 PM
Felder for machines and Festool for power hand tools.

Brian Henderson
07-27-2017, 5:52 PM
Brian, if I picked Felder I could get the saw/shaper/jointer/planer/morticer/bandsaw/dust extractor. That only leaves the drill press for me.......Rod.

But of course that doesn't include all the other tools that get used in the shop either. This wasn't specifically big stationary tools, but *ALL* tools. It just can't be done.

Tom Dworzanski
07-27-2017, 6:34 PM
What you need it to do for YOUR needs. We are more than glad to help you.

Thanks Marc. I appreciate that. I guess the poll isn't really to make a purchasing decision. I just want to orient myself with what brands people are biased towards. I totally agree this is not a way to make any sort of purchasing decision. It's just a poll for fun. I know it may not be useful -- it's just an exercise in curiosity. I hope no one takes this too seriously -- I'm not trying to open up any big debates, just taking a silly poll :)

I was surprised several years ago to find a chevy impala was too small for me while a Kia had good legroom and headroom.

Interesting perspective and experience. Def goes to show it's worth investigating things personally to see what actually fits.

its a bit of a trick question because you have to make sure the supplier has everything you need . . . The OP hadn't heard of these brands .. now he has .. That makes this a good post .. its what its all about ..

Exactly right. I would have never thought of checking out Felder, Martin, and similar brands if not for this thread so I gained a lot of perspective from these comments.

I highly recommend a cyclone dust chip collector like the Oneida - not the dust bag filter systems like the Jet. You will enjoy shop time much more, certain tools like planers and bandsaws really require it, definite health benefits . . . I could write a book on my experiences!

Peter, I actually purchased 4 books recently (everything I could find!) on Woodshop dust collection. I'm setting up a new shop and wanted to do that part right from the start. I appreciate the health benefits, but I think for me the best part of putting up some ducts and getting a good cyclone will be the minimization of clean-up time -- something I don't enjoy.

Martin Wasner
07-27-2017, 6:47 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, your winner of the thread.

I wouldn't do wood working if I had to have everything one brand in stationary equipment.

I have tools from these manufacturers:
1 SCM
1 Diehl
1 Format
3 SAC
4 Powermatic
1 Tannewitz
1 Northfield
1 JLT
1 Murphy Rodgers
1 Donaldson/Torit
1 Striebig
3 Omga
1 Jet
1 Derda
2 Delta
1 Rockwell
1 Whirlwind
1 Tigerstop
1 Apex
2 Ritter
2 Unique
2 Castle
1 Atlas Copco
1 Toyota (It counts, I ain't carrying lumber off the truck)

Some I bought new, most I bought used. No one company does all of it the best. Nor does any one that I know of sell the variety of equipment I'd need. Felder offers a lot of different pieces, but they fall short on dust collection not offering a big enough unit.

If you think your shop is cool because all the paint matches, I don't know what to tell you.

Steve Schoene
07-27-2017, 6:59 PM
With no regard to price, Northfield as a full line of stationary tools that will work in industrial context 3 shifts a day. Excessive for my hobby needs, sure but really nice.

Jim Becker
07-27-2017, 8:45 PM
If money was no object (or even if it was a factor), I wouldn't choose just one manufacturer because it frankly would be impossible to cover all the bases that way...

Ben Abate
07-27-2017, 9:07 PM
Festool
I've own many machines in 40 yrs of woodworking. My shop is outfitted with felder for the past 15 yrs because I couldn't afford MARTIN. But as I see it if you can only have one manufacturer Festool covers a wide range of of the woodworking area. Cutting, sanding, routing, joinery, vacuums, lighting and in all categories Festool gives multiple choices.

They don't offer wide belts or big shapers or large edge banding but they do offer edge banding. I would have to go Festool. They offer a very complete line of machines

Your question was if we had to choose one company.

Ben Rivel
07-27-2017, 9:17 PM
Other: Felder

andy bessette
07-27-2017, 9:17 PM
...If you think your shop is cool because all the paint matches, I don't know what to tell you.

Sig line material! :)

Andrew J. Coholic
07-27-2017, 9:46 PM
Ive got about $70,000+ worth of Cantek machinery in my shop, made in (gulp!) Taiwan. Wow, I didnt know that it was total garbage and I should have bought something else that was made as far away from China as possible (insert rolling eyes here, lol)

Its funny (but not really) that in the past 6 1/2 years Ive been running our new facility, the only machinery I have had to do some repairs on were both made in Italy and from pretty respected companies. One was a set of plastic guide rollers that started cracking off the bearings (they changed to a new type of plastic supposedly better) and one was a pneumatic issue. I had to pay for the new parts since it was past the 1 yr warranty.

My Cantek stuff (widebelt sander, 20" planer, 16" jointer, dovetailer, 7.5HP tilting arbor shaper, edge bander) has run pretty much daily since purchased and besides regular lubrication and cleaning, has proven to be very good equipment.

Martin Wasner
07-27-2017, 9:57 PM
I forgot I've got Cantek and Denray too. lol

Cantek isn't incredible, but it I do think it's a really good value. You get a lot for not much. Before getting my rip saw, I was considering getting a Cantek rip saw. I think they're about $18k new. A comparable Diehl is about $25k. My Diehl just shredded the spur gear in the gear reduction today for the feed belt. Grrrr

Tom Dworzanski
07-28-2017, 12:37 AM
I'm going to leave this poll open in perpetuity, but 24 hours in, these are the results:

Powermatic - 38.46%
Other - 34.62%
Grizzly - 13.46%
Delta - 7.69%
General International - 3.85%

I'm not too surprised by Powermatic getting the most votes based on this list.

I definitely learned about many high-end European manufacturers and others which are represented in Other. I appreciate all you guys posting those brands in the comments.

I'm surprised Grizzly did as well as it did since I got the impression it is more of a bargain brand. If you had no limitations, several of you guys would choose a bargain brand? Or is there something about Grizzly that is special despite the lower price?

Delta did okay and General got a couple votes.

John Sincerbeaux
07-28-2017, 12:50 AM
I'll play.

Machinery: Martin
Hand power tools: Festool
Hand tools: Lie Nielsen
Old School Machines: Northfield, Oliver, kindt Collins, delta, PM, and many more

I just purchased a 50 year old Kindt Collins 24" disc sander. I don't believe there is a company anywhere in the world making disc sanders like it today?

rudy de haas
07-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Of these only grizzly has the full range of tools you need in a wood working (or metal working) shop. Powermatic seems to get the most votes, but their catalog is nowhere near as complete, so really a non starter because the question envisages everything, not just the key power tools.

Rod Sheridan
07-29-2017, 2:29 PM
But of course that doesn't include all the other tools that get used in the shop either. This wasn't specifically big stationary tools, but *ALL* tools. It just can't be done.

Brian, it was all power tools.

I can live with that assortment of power tools.

I don't really need a sander, I normally scrape or plane surfaces so I'm OK..........Rod.

Rick Fisher
07-29-2017, 6:36 PM
I'll play.

I just purchased a 50 year old Kindt Collins 24" disc sander. I don't believe there is a company anywhere in the world making disc sanders like it today?

We're going to need pictures of this new 24" Disc sander John.. Rule #11034 ... sorry to have to pull out the rule book .. :)

Rick Fisher
07-29-2017, 6:48 PM
I recently bought a Houfek 36" single head wide belt sander. Its another brand, made in Czech.. 2000 lbs.. It took 6 months to arrive. If your interested in brands, houfek makes rugged machines, sanders, shapers etc.. I ordered this machine with a 15hp motor.. I learned from my last sander that I don't need massive motors, it was a 24" SCM with a 12hp .. I never used more than half the available power ( Ammeter ) ..

This machine has;

Variable feed speed
A pneumatic platen with anti dubbing sensors for veneer
Automatic air blower / cleaner for the main belt
Automatic feed belt centering
Power rise, fall,
Automatic thickness sensing
It uses a 75" belt instead of 60" ..

In the world of wide belts, its a little machine. Houfek has a 7 series which has similar features to the big German sanders like constant passline etc..

I think Houfek is a pretty good company.. The electronics are all Eaton and Siemens, the motors are Italian.. I picked it over an SCM and Felder of similar price.

Rick Potter
07-30-2017, 12:54 AM
Easy answer to the original question "one company, all your stationary woodworking power tools"......As far as I know, only one company listed sells ALL the stationary tools I have in my shop.

Grizzly

PS: In real time, like now...I have never owned a Grizzly tool, but I actually am considering a 623 sliding table saw.
What I actually own, like so many others, is a broad mix. Sawstop, Delta Unisaw/ edge sander/ shaper/drill press/jointer, Castle, DeWalt RAS, Woodmaster, Jet spindle sander, SuperShop, Craftsman.

Paul McGaha
07-30-2017, 12:32 PM
I voted for Powermatic.

About half my shop is Powermatic (Jointer, Planer, Air Filter, Moritser)

And half Delta (Unisaw, Shaper, Drill Press, 18/36 Drum Sander).

And a bandsaw from Jet and a miter saw from Hitachi.

I'm very happy with my shop and don't see me upgrading my tools.

If I had to replace my shop I suppose I would look at something like Hammer. I read how their owners love their performance and they are fairly affordable. I don't know that I could every get used to not having specific purpose tools though.

I'm a hobbyist. Just build stuff for my family and friends.

PHM

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2017, 11:41 AM
I voted for Powermatic.

About half my shop is Powermatic (Jointer, Planer, Air Filter, Moritser)

And half Delta (Unisaw, Shaper, Drill Press, 18/36 Drum Sander).

And a bandsaw from Jet and a miter saw from Hitachi.

I'm very happy with my shop and don't see me upgrading my tools.

If I had to replace my shop I suppose I would look at something like Hammer. I read how their owners love their performance and they are fairly affordable. I don't know that I could every get used to not having specific purpose tools though.

I'm a hobbyist. Just build stuff for my family and friends.

PHM

Hi Paul, Hammer do make individual planers, jointers, saws and shapers.

It's just that the combo units provide better space/cost balance for small shops like mine...........Rod.

Joe Jensen
08-01-2017, 11:06 AM
If I could only own one brand it would be Felder, wide range of industrial high quality tools. In my dream shop I have Martin for the sliding saw, jointer, planer, and shaper but those four would be like $200K :(

J.R. Rutter
08-07-2017, 11:54 AM
SCMI makes/distributes a wide enough range that I could get almost everything from them. Solid mid-range industrial quality.

Jon Barnett
02-12-2021, 7:01 AM
Canadian made General tools

Frank Pratt
02-12-2021, 8:34 AM
Canadian made General tools

Which haven't been made in well over a decade, so that would certainly limit your selection of machines & replacement parts.

Alan Lightstone
02-12-2021, 9:09 AM
Felder for stationary tools, Festool for handheld.

Need more brands on your poll.

Jim Becker
02-12-2021, 9:12 AM
Need more brands on your poll.

Necro-thread from 2017... :) Brands have evolved and even gone away in only a few short years.

------

My choices haven't changed, however, other than the addition of CNC. SCM/Minimax for larger, general tools. Camaster for CNC. Festool for portables. Oneida for dust collection.

Mike O'Keefe
02-12-2021, 9:38 AM
Northfield

Kyle Iwamoto
02-12-2021, 10:07 AM

LOL, in that case ALL of the above. Price being no object.
As mentioned, no one company makes all the tools even a hobby shop needs.

Bruce King
02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
I have a Grizzly catalog, haven’t really looked at it because even though I can buy anything I just enjoy working with what I have. Name a tool a hobby shop needs that Grizzly doesn’t have.

Philip Glover
02-12-2021, 12:53 PM
Well, since it has to be one company for everything; SCM

Phil

Kyle Iwamoto
02-12-2021, 1:01 PM
I have a Grizzly catalog, haven’t really looked at it because even though I can buy anything I just enjoy working with what I have. Name a tool a hobby shop needs that Grizzly doesn’t have.

Tormek and accessories.

Bob Falk
02-12-2021, 1:10 PM
I would go with felder

Bob Potter
02-12-2021, 3:52 PM
Felder combination,
Bob

Warren Lake
02-12-2021, 4:31 PM
Binford of course

Binford, Binford and more Binford

Erik Loza
02-12-2021, 4:34 PM
50/50 between DeWalt and Harbor Freight if I'm being honest.

Erik

Charlie Jones
02-12-2021, 8:23 PM
Well lesss seee. Delta Unisaw (US), Laguna bandsaw, Rikon belt disc sander, Rikon grinder, Grizzly planer, Woodtek jointer, Rockwell drill press (US), Supermax drum sander, Home made mortiser, Clear Vue cyclone (US), Delta lathe. Bosch, Craftsman, Dewalt routers, Dewalt biscuit joiner, Bosch drills and various other small tools. I believe in buying what brands meet my needs. Even if I could afford the high end European machines. I doubt if one brand would do it.

Alex Zeller
02-12-2021, 11:29 PM
I think the poll should have been "Which brand is the first brand you look at when thinking of buying a new tool". I've seen pictures of people who just went out and bought tools from Powermatic because that's what they perceived as "best". The real problem is very few people do the exact same type of work exactly the same. A high end slider isn't going to be the first choice to the guy who's passion is making small boxes and furniture for example. Sure you could buy a tool for a lot more money that's design to cut stuff you never work with only to add a F&F jig to do the same thing as a cabinet saw will do with a sled but why?

Derek Cohen
02-12-2021, 11:30 PM
While I have three Hammer machines, it was not so much the brand that attracted me, but that they were (a) the best in the price range I could justify and afford, and (2) they came with superb backup service. The same could be said for other machines (I have a Nova lathe and drill press), as well as power tools (Festool and Makita predominantly in new tools, and Elu in older tools). Then there are hand tools, and that is another rabbit hole. After woodworking for 40 years, and nearing retirement, I can justify purchasing better tools now - it was not so for a long time. Some may argue that a good workman does not blame his tools. I agree with this. And for some the tools are not important. For myself, part of the enjoyment is using good tools. Features #1 and #2, above, remain.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill Dufour
02-12-2021, 11:51 PM
Jet dc are not highly rated. I know of no other brands that make tools.

Bruce King
02-12-2021, 11:53 PM
50/50 between DeWalt and Harbor Freight if I'm being honest.
Erik

Being honest for real? Why, cause you can toss them out when they break?

Jon Barnett
02-13-2021, 7:58 AM
In the last couple of years, I have picked up a 160 lathe in excellent condition, the 15" drill press in excellent condition, the 14" planer in very good condition, and a second 15" bandsaw with the multiple speeds gearbox in excellent condition. All Canadian made. We are fortunate here in Ontario that there are quite a few good used machines available.

The General equipment may not have all the bells and whistles of the newer crop, but once you get them set up, they just stay in tune forever. The tools above compliment my General 8" joiner, 15" bandsaw, and 10" table saw. Outstanding machines.

ray grundhoefer
02-13-2021, 8:49 AM
If only one brand and I was filthy rich everything would be NORTHFIELD wherever possible .Since I am not I have a collection of old iron. powermatic, delta, foley belsaw and yates american

Bill Dufour
02-13-2021, 9:43 AM
AFAIK Rolls Royce only made metal working lathes, nothing for wood.
Bil lD

Jim Becker
02-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Being honest for real? Why, cause you can toss them out when they break?

Honestly, for small electrics, I'm kinda like Erik...the tools I use a lot are primarily Festool plus a DeWalt router. The "occasional need" tools are HFT Bauer with one piece of Ridgid. The actual quality on a lot of mass market tools is sometimes better than it used to be. If I were a contractor, I'd not go that route, but as an individual, it makes sense financially to do so.