PDA

View Full Version : Against the rules?

Mike Vermeil
10-27-2005, 4:45 PM
Can somone tell me if it's against the rules to post a link to archived pictures on another woodworking website?

On another forum that I don't go to very often, I saw some photos that I know quite a few people here would really enjoy, but wasn't sure if it was kosher.

Thanks.

Loy Hawes
10-27-2005, 8:07 PM
I believe linking to another forum isn't allowed. Why not save the pictures and post them here?

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 8:18 PM
I am making these comments as an SMC member, not a moderator, since I am only that in the Finishing Forum, anyway... ;)

This is a tough one. Theoretically, you could just link to the pictures and no-one would know the wiser, but that probably isn't in the spirit of the TOS nor considerate of the original poster at the other form, either. Copying the photos is equally problematic unless you have permission to do so, at least in the general sense of propriety...but perhaps you could ask the original poster if 1) they would enjoy joining SMC and posting the pictures here themselves or 2) if you can have permission to do so yourself. In that manner, there are no potential issues at either end.

So complicated...but at least it's consistant with the TOS as I read it.

Mike Wenzloff
10-28-2005, 8:34 AM
...This is a tough one.
...but perhaps you could ask the original poster if 1) they would enjoy joining SMC and posting the pictures here themselves or 2) if you can have permission to do so yourself. In that manner, there are no potential issues at either end. So complicated...but at least it's consistant with the TOS as I read it.

Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
From my reading of the quoted TOS above, it seems that I can reference a forum directly, even by name. Make reference to a certain topic or post at that other forum, just not provide a link to it. Would that be correct?

In a practical sense, what's the difference? And what is a "reference" anyway? And how does it truly differ from a link, other than forcing an SMC member to manually go look at the "reference"?

Obviously as a recent member this is one rule that I do not really understand why it was created in the first place--nor why it continues.

And I don't need to understand the philosophy behind the rule. I'm not asking for nor demanding an explanation. Maybe a light vent, but that is all.

It seems equally "tough" to have to proselytize new membership (why? to boost membership?) just to be within the spirit and words of the TOS. It also puts a burden on an SMC poster to have to chase down members of other forums just to post a picture or make a direct reference.

There is no other forum I know of that places this restriction upon its members. It makes it appear that SMC is afraid its members will find out about other forums, I'm sure it only appears that way to me. Kind like trying to insulate its members form the evils outside itself.

It's not like members here don't frequent other forums anyway. And too, some of these posters have in turn linked to messages on SMC to these other forums. Not being reciprocal seems standoffish or overly protective, or, well, something I can't figure out. Maybe SMC is afraid of an exodus? Shouldn't be. SMC will be here as long as its members have the spirit they do and see the value in SMC.

On some-nameless-other-forum many here frequent, there were at least two threads started by people wanting to know when SMC would be back up and if anyone had any info on the server switch. Last I checked, I didn't see one negative post about SMC in those threads. And it could be said that there are a few on that nameless-other-forum can sometimes jump on such a post and attempt to make it go bad. Didn't happen.

Ok. I'm done now.

Mike

Jim Becker
10-28-2005, 8:48 AM
The forum site I previously was a moderator at (run by a magaine) also prohibits links to other forums as do others. I only mention that for accuracy.

Folks often do mention other forums by name and provide subtle hints what to look for. It's the link that is not allowed.

Ian Barley
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
I am not gonna comment on rules but I will give you a point of view on ettiquette (sp?).

I posted some links to pictures here , that I stored on my webspace, just over a year ago. They were general workshop pictures which I hoped would be of interest to members here. People that I feel I trust and who behave towards the world in the way that I like to imagine I also behave.

About a month later I found a large number of hits to these pictures from another forum. One which I do not choose to participate in because I don't have the same feeling towards the members there becasue their actions demonstrate that they don't view the world like I do.

I considered that this was potentially commercially damaging to my business and therefore broke the links and feel very reluctant to post more pics here that could end up being misused in this way.

What does all that mean. Unless you have the permission of the original poster of these pictures, express or implied, it doesn't matter what the rules say - courteousy says don't do it.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Mike,

All I am going to add is that when I first joined, I wondered the same thing about the links to other forums.

Now I just take it to be part of this forum, it doesn't allow links to other forums... Why? I think part of the reason is that it can and does often lead to bashing the other forum, other than that I don't know :) I just accept it because SMC is such a great place in so many other ways!

Ken Salisbury
10-28-2005, 10:43 AM
From my reading of the quoted TOS above, it seems that I can reference a forum directly, even by name. Make reference to a certain topic or post at that other forum, just not provide a link to it. Would that be correct?

Mike
Correct.

The TOS prohibits direct links to other pulic forums.

No debate is necessary here as to the many reasons behind it.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

<st1:stockticker>http://%5Bcenter%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif%5B/IMG%5D</st1:stockticker>

<o =""></o>

Mike Wenzloff
10-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Ken, I was not looking for a debate. Nor am I attempting to thwart the rules in some way, nor even trying to stir up dissent.

I was merely responding to Mike's post and using Jim's comments and the TOS as a reference point in asking my own questions so I did not in some way violate the TOS.

Sincerely,

Mike Wenzloff

Mike Wenzloff
10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Folks often do mention other forums by name and provide subtle hints what to look for. It's the link that is not allowed.
Jim,

I do not see anything about being subtle in the TOS. In other words, if I created a post or saw a post on hwat I consider to be another great, responsible forum such as the UK Workshop forum, I could by name (as I just did) name the forum, tell people the explicit topic under consideration so they don't have to hunt and peck (no subtlety there) and this is allowed under the TOS...correct? Assuming I spelled things out and did not provide a clickable, direct link.

Thank you for your response. I promise to be a good boy and not ask any further questions that may upset anyone. After this one, of course <g>.

Mike

Jim Becker
10-28-2005, 7:48 PM
Mike, per Ken's confirmation in message #8 of this thread...yes you can mention the forum, the topic and the reason for it's interest. Only the link is prohibited. My use of the word "subtle" was mine and mine alone...intended as light way to express myself, but unfortunately too obtuse. Sorry. My bad.

Keith Outten
10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Some forums allow language that many of our Members find offensive. There are also personal attacks, flaming and behavior that isn't constructive. Since our Moderators are all volunteer it isn't fair to ask them to chase every external link to verify the content. Most commercial web sites are professionally done and contain no offensive material--forums are often abused...hence the ban on links to other forums.

In the very begining we decided that SMC should be a place where all woodworkers could gather and feel comfortable and welcome, this includes our younger members who may be uncomfortable around those who can't communicate without abusing the language.

John Bailey
11-06-2005, 3:40 AM
I like the place, I like the rules.

John