PDA

View Full Version : How Do Everlast Blades Rate?

Gary Curtis
10-27-2005, 1:48 PM
How do they rate on clean cutting and edge retention?

They cost considerably less than Forrest, but is the value there.

Gary Curtis

John Renzetti
10-27-2005, 2:58 PM
hi Gary, Everlast is a USA company that has been around awhile. They usually sell directly to pro cabinet shops. From what I understand their blades get high ratings.
take care,
John

Chris Giles
10-27-2005, 4:16 PM
Gary,
Everlast blades were recommended to me by my blade sharpening expert, who's advice I respect. Two years after that recommendation, all my blades are Everlast. It is the only blade I have used that matches or exceeds the performance of my Forrest Blades. I would buy them on quality alone, but as you said, they are significantly cheaper than Forrest. I wish they made shaper and router blades!

scott spencer
10-27-2005, 5:02 PM
I've never used one but have heard excellent comments...some of which are also from a blade sharpener (could be the same guy Chris referred to!).

Recently there's been a rep at Woodnet selling German made Leitz blades under the Irwin and Delta name at excellent prices. (They're the makers of at least some of the HO Schumacher & Sohn blades) I've been fairly impressed so far with the 50T combo blade....not quite a WWII, but at $18 it cuts as cleanly as my LU84 did....but faster. :) Just another alternative....

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1879581&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7

Dale Thompson
10-27-2005, 9:02 PM
Gary,
I really like my Forrest blades but the Everlast AGP 1040 is on my PM66. :) Everlast is not sold on the "street" but I am across the river from a manufacturer of high-quality, industrial-grade carbide tools. They told me about the Everlast and actually got a couple of them for me. :) They are not only a great value but they are also a great blade. :D I've been meaning to ask one of their tooling engineers why Everlast uses round copper/brass inserts in their expansion joints as opposed to the scroll saw-like curls used on the Forrest.

However, as is normally my reaction, I get so excited about seeing a neat new tool, blade, fence, etc., that I totally forget everything else. :(

I wonder if age has anything to do with it? :confused: GOSH! Maybe I can't see the Forrest because of the darn trees! :eek: I just wish, at my age, that Everlast made Depends! ;)

Whatever, Gary, it's a fine blade at a very fine price!! :)

Dale T.

Mark Singer
10-27-2005, 9:26 PM
The best blade I found for the money is the Dewalt 7657

Mike Stanton
10-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Who sells them? Mike

Mark Singer
10-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I bought mine at the woodworking show....they may have a newer model...I could not find that number anymore

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
I use Everlast blades and they are the best blades I've every used....hands down....2nd to none.....Bought mine through Scott Whiting in Arizona.

Oh...did I happen to mention that I REALLY like Everlast blades? :rolleyes: :D

Steve Wargo
10-28-2005, 12:04 AM
I'll second the Dewalt. I've used the Forrest and CMT blades, and while I think the previous may be a better blade, for the money you can't touch the Dewalt.

Gary Curtis
10-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Go to their website for distributors (their term for "dealers")

http://www.everlastsaw.com/

Thanks, all. I've heard enough to convince me. There is a promotional sale on lasting for another 3 months. These babies work out to sell for about 60% the price of Forrest.

Gary Curtis

Rick Shelton
10-28-2005, 12:41 PM
they are significantly cheaper than Forrest. I wish they made shaper and router blades!

I visited the website and the 10" 40T combination blade sellf for $97. You can get a Forrest for $89 (quite often) when they are on sale. Here http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/category_2_Woodworker_II.html for example.

Not questioning the quality, just trying to figure out how they are significantly cheaper?

BTW, the website also shows that they do sale router bits.

Gary Curtis
10-28-2005, 2:12 PM
The sale price is through distributors, I believe. Not published on the Everlast website. The tool sharpening dealer in Redding California I spoke with rattled off some prices.

If I weren't so shell-shocked from buying a full shop worth of equipment and completing construction on a new house, I would have written everything down. I asked him, how long do sake prices prevail? A few months, he replied. But I do recall him saying I would not reach $200 getting a 3 or 4 blade set. And a Dado stack wouldn't be much more. I know that's pretty vague. My analyst and I are discussing this problem of mine right now and, along with other mental issues, will deal with it. He suggests pills. I say, more beer.

Seriously, I would telephone one of the "distributors" listed on the Everlast website. They are all in the tool sharpening businesses, from what I'm told.

The dealer I spoke with in Redding is, according to my cabinet maker (new house, remember?), a second generation saw sharpener. This sharpener said the manufacturing technique & the quality of carbide used by Everlast were the best he had seen. As Trinity County boasted, until a few years ago, 12 lumber mills, this is timber country, after all.

So I would guess people in the trade are "scary sharp", and would know saws. Ryland Saw Sharpening, Redding, CA - 530 241-4679.

He quoted a real low price on the Dado Stack. He said it performed great, even on Melamine. Sorry I can't remember the price.

Gary Curtis

Chris Giles
10-28-2005, 2:45 PM
Rick,
You really shouldn't compare one company's sale price to another's list. It isn't an apples to apples comparison. I usually buy my Everlast blades during the periodic sales my sharpening shop offers. Different blades, different months, that sort of thing. I just paid $69 for the 10" 40T blade you mentioned during the sale a while back. I think comparing list price to list price is a more accurate way of judging prices. Everlast blades are cheaper than Forrest, head-to-head. This is true in New England, but I can't speak for the rest of the country.

Rick Shelton
10-28-2005, 5:48 PM
Rick,
You really shouldn't compare one company's sale price to another's list. It isn't an apples to apples comparison. I usually buy my Everlast blades during the periodic sales my sharpening shop offers. Different blades, different months, that sort of thing. I just paid $69 for the 10" 40T blade you mentioned during the sale a while back. I think comparing list price to list price is a more accurate way of judging prices. Everlast blades are cheaper than Forrest, head-to-head. This is true in New England, but I can't speak for the rest of the country.

Agreed. But my point was that WWII can almost always be bought at $89. Still more than $69, though. I'll have to check into them, if my WWII ever wears out.