PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Spalted Pear

Doug Herzberg
07-24-2017, 10:52 PM
I turned this green and it doesn't look too stable, so I thought I'd take some pictures before it dries out and cracks. This was the stump of an ornamental pear I planted about 12 years ago which died earlier this summer. The trunk checked badly and I'm not sure I'll get anything from it at all. All the times I read about how much you all love turning pear, I don't remember ever reading about the smell. What a wonderful turning experience! Right now it has Watco DO and nothing else. I put it in a plastic bag until I figure out how to dry it. C&C welcome.

7.5" x 4"

Jeramie Johnson
07-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous piece of wood. Nice presentation in your piece.

Harold Balzonia
07-24-2017, 11:32 PM
I like your style, Doug. Every piece seems to have a pleasing shape - this is no exception.

off topic - would you mind sharing how you go about photographing your bowls? I find the black background really brings out more "flavor" than the white one I use. I notice you put it on a mirror, is it in a black box of some kind?

Doug Herzberg
07-24-2017, 11:39 PM
I like your style, Doug. Every piece seems to have a pleasing shape - this is no exception.

off topic - would you mind sharing how you go about photographing your bowls? I find the black background really brings out more "flavor" than the white one I use. I notice you put it on a mirror, is it in a black box of some kind?

I got an inexpensive photo tent on Amazon. It came with a few different backdrops. That's another bowl, not a mirror. I just use whatever is close. I'm still experimenting with multiple flash and higher F-stops for depth of field.

Bill Jobe
07-25-2017, 1:46 AM
Wow. Beautiful piece, Doug. You are truly gifted. I always look forward to seeing your bowls.
I was able to salvage a small piece of an apricot tree that had died on me. Rather, it was supposed to be a dwarf fruit cocktail....5 varieties on one tree. What a sweet smell that was turning also.
I gotta get me some pear.

Keep those beauties coming. They are inspiring.

daryl moses
07-25-2017, 7:32 AM
Very nice piece Doug, love your style! I do see a couple of places for potential cracks, hopefully it will behave.

Reed Gray
07-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Nice piece. In the first photo, where the little mushroom shape is (left center) it looks like ring shake/check to me. The is a fairly distinct color line there... If the wood is still wet and drying, I would expect it to crack along that line.

robo hippy

Doug Herzberg
07-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Nice piece. In the first photo, where the little mushroom shape is (left center) it looks like ring shake/check to me. The is a fairly distinct color line there... If the wood is still wet and drying, I would expect it to crack along that line.

robo hippy

That has me worried, too. I'm looking for a paper bag and thinking about fixing the door on my refrigerator kiln, in the hope I can slow down the drying. Thanks everyone for the nice comments.