PDA

View Full Version : Sinjoe Laser Issue with power/lens?

daniel coyle
07-24-2017, 4:28 PM
My 150W Sinjoe laser, while I was manually operating it to cut 1/4" panels at 40 mA "lost power". I don't have a sense of how the mA reading relates to what I should expect coming out of the tube but I was running the laser at high power. 80% of full power (possibly more). The laser still was sending but at a much weakened effect on the wood. Initially concerned that I had "pushed it too hard" I thought I may have damaged the power source or the tube.

I ended up seeing that the lens I had was destroyed and felt relief that, hopefully, this was the only problem. I replaced the lens with a smaller diameter lens meant to fit another machine and laser head ( I don't have one for this machine and am ordering it). I am getting better power but nothing like what I typically would have gotten before.

I don't know if the lens is the only problem or if the lens damage could point to some bigger issue that is present. I don't understand why the lens would have failed. The water cooler was working and the temperature was ok. I can't see any cracks in the tube. The power still says it is going up to 40+ mA when I ask it to. Just don't cut like it used to.

Looking for help problem solving this.

Dave Sheldrake
07-24-2017, 7:16 PM
40mA is wayyyyyyyy too high Dan, it should spike to 35 when triggering then drop back to 32-33 when running

The lens has got dusty, with bigger tubes any dust on a lens will destroy it pretty quickly

daniel coyle
07-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks Dave! Obviously, I had no idea. Is it possible or likely that I would have damaged anything besides the lens by running it at 40 milliamps?

Dave Sheldrake
07-25-2017, 1:49 AM
You will have taken quite a lot of life off of the tube at that power, how much it's impossible to say to be honest

daniel coyle
07-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Ouch. Had no idea :( I have been running it at that power pretty regularly though I don't actually run the laser more than a couple times a month typically. Cutting 1/4 inch cork I run it high but not so high when engraving.

Is there a big difference in focal lenses? Is there a type you recommend?