PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Set-up Advice

Torie Robinson
07-24-2017, 9:52 AM
Hi Creekers,

This is the second question I’ve asked as I try to strategize and plan for a laser purchase. My main concern now is how/where to set-up. After researching, I’ve learned the question of ventilation/exhaust has been discussed ad nauseam. But I haven’t found this addressed - I have a covered patio that I could easily wheel a laser and exhaust in and out of. I realize its not an ideal situation, but lack options outside of borrowing a space from friends.

So, I am curious if anyone has experience or advice for operating in a controlled, open-air/outdoor environment? Or is this just a bad idea?

I should also mention that noise/neighbors are not an issue and it’d only be setup a couple times a week as a hobby machine for cutting and engraving ply and other woods. Thanks in advance!

Gary Hair
07-24-2017, 10:56 AM
No matter where the laser resides you need to extract the fumes, etc., from inside the laser. I can't see any problem with being outside and letting the exhaust go where it may, just stay upwind from it! The one caveat is that moving it around a lot may cause alignment problems as well as temperature fluctuations from being outside. Not knowing where you are located though I don't know how much of an issue that might be.

Jerome Stanek
07-24-2017, 12:17 PM
I've been to makers fairs and they have lasers out under tents

Robert Bonenfant
07-24-2017, 1:38 PM
Wheeling Laser around: In my experience try to setup a area with good ventilation and the machine can be setup for a long period of time. A garage works, basement, office (It really depends on the size your buying). The reasons I would be against wheeling your unit around (Once again not sure the size) is they are heavy, they have a separate water filled chiller unit and if your floor isn't perfectly level than you will have issues. My warehouse floor has very small dips every so often and this would require me to relevel my machines each time I moved them. Like Gary said temperature fluctuation can be hell for you and your laser.

Ventilation: This is a must - It depends alot on how much your using your machine and what your cutting/engraving. If your gonna be cutting alot of wood, acrylic, leather than you really want to move the exhaust up and away from you and your neighbors. Acrylic and leather stinks when cutting and wood leaves alot of residue. I cut about 400 sheets of wood a month on my lasers so Im on the high side of usage. If your only gonna be cutting a few times a week than try to setup a filter or send it to your back yard.

Overall it depends on your machine size and usage. I use my lasers alot so a dedicated area for them is a must - In Ohio we deal with all the seasons so its alot different than lets say Florida - Have to keep my area cooled in the summer and warm in the winter.

Jerome - Seen your tag said your from Medina - Same here

John Lifer
07-24-2017, 4:14 PM
Is it going to be comfortable enough for YOU? I know my shop is over 90 last week and this week and I'm glad my laser is in my 68F basement.
You would definitely still need to use exhaust fan, just push out farther. I'd probably try for a while if I had a good storage place that it could be parked in that isn't too far away. Mine won't fit thru my 36" door unless I take apart, so it stays where it is.

Torie Robinson
07-24-2017, 9:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Of course I'd prefer a dedicated workspace, but just wanted to know if this could at least be a temporary option. I'm out West and temperatures are typically mild and static during the day. I'll of course have an exhaust system, I just wasn't sure about operating at a relatively close distance from the output - even if it is outside. Alignment is a good point I hadn't thought about, but will keep in mind.

Rich Harman
07-24-2017, 9:03 PM
If it is a small machine You could make a cart for it that contains the chiller and exhaust and wheel that around. I don't see a problem with that. A large machine would be too much of a hassle I think.

Rich Harman
07-24-2017, 9:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Of course I'd prefer a dedicated workspace, but just wanted to know if this could at least be a temporary option. I'm out West and temperatures are typically mild and static during the day. I'll of course have an exhaust system, I just wasn't sure about operating at a relatively close distance from the output - even if it is outside. Alignment is a good point I hadn't thought about, but will keep in mind.

A small machine on a cart with good wheels (soft to absorb shock) and I wouldn't be concerned about knocking it out of alignment as long as you move it gently. You would want the exhaust hose to be long enough so that the end is a ways away from you. Or better yet, have a chimney attached to the porch that extends a few feet up and just hook up to it.

Bill George
07-25-2017, 8:57 AM
My new LightObject laser engraver came all the way from California in a wood crate, the semi truck delivered I opened the box attached the cooling and fan. Bingo ran the file that was in the controller without an issue. I have never checked the mirror alignment as its been working fine. I guess it makes a difference where you get your machine.

Jerome Stanek
07-25-2017, 11:05 AM
My new LightObject laser engraver came all the way from California in a wood crate, the semi truck delivered I opened the box attached the cooling and fan. Bingo ran the file that was in the controller without an issue. I have never checked the mirror alignment as its been working fine. I guess it makes a difference where you get your machine.

You may have been just lucky with it. You can't vouch for every machine that leaves Light Object to be that way. Even Ray from Rabbit will check the alignment

Bert Kemp
07-25-2017, 3:19 PM
Like I've mentioned a few times I drove my Rabbit from Ohio to AZ in the back of my pickup, unloaded and ran it with out ever checking alignment and still running 2 years later I have never had to do an alignment
You may have been just lucky with it. You can't vouch for every machine that leaves Light Object to be that way. Even Ray from Rabbit will check the alignment

Jerome Stanek
07-25-2017, 3:36 PM
Like I've mentioned a few times I drove my Rabbit from Ohio to AZ in the back of my pickup, unloaded and ran it with out ever checking alignment and still running 2 years later I have never had to do an alignment

Did Ray set your unit up or did he just uncrate it.

Rich Harman
07-25-2017, 4:57 PM
... 2 years later I have never had to do an alignment

I bet you ten bucks that if I were to check your alignment I would find that it could be improved.

When my my first machine was delivered it ran the stored file right off the bat too, but the alignment was terrible.

It it is likely that the owners of some of these "never-been-aligned" machines would discover improved performance with a fresh, precise alignment.

The smaller the machine, the crappier alignment you can get away with.

Jerome Stanek
07-25-2017, 5:12 PM
When I received mine it ran the file fine and also ran the file that I use all the time. After realigning it and tweaking it I now can run the same file at twice the speed

Bill George
07-26-2017, 7:34 AM
You may have been just lucky with it. You can't vouch for every machine that leaves Light Object to be that way.

Well my LO machine is also now on a roll around cart with the chiller, air pump underneath, works fine. My ULS was hauled 250 miles on a UHaul trailer and worked fine. So I would say it depends on the machine.

Bert Kemp
07-26-2017, 4:22 PM
Did Ray set your unit up or did he just uncrate it.

ay set the machine up before I left Ohio
r

Bert Kemp
07-26-2017, 4:24 PM
your On come on over and check it:)
I just put a piece of tape on mirror 3 fired all 4 corners and its pretty close to center every where. :) I'm cut 1/4 BB at 12mmps and 65% pwr so I'm not gonna mess with it. I'd just make it worse,LOL