PDA

View Full Version : My Newlydraw software won't run on Windows 10

Bryan Moran
07-22-2017, 12:24 AM
I built a XY gantry style laser system. This basically wasan ETL Evertech laser with a small bed (about 8x12) but a very nice Coherent GEM metal tube air cooled 30W laser. I built a system out of Misumi extrudedaluminum and Maker Slide for the gantry, my work area is about 2’ x1.5. Iengrave wine barrel heads and they come out real nice. I am just a small time second job operation, however I am learning a lot and really enjoy it. Building the system myself has been a real point of pride for me (and it was a heckofa lot cheaper!).
However, my computer died that ran windows XP. On it was Newlydrawsoftware. I have the CD and dongle but it wont run on windows 10. I can’t find adriver for Newlydraw that runs windows 10. Has anyone else run into this problem?And if so how did you fix it?

Julian Ashcroft
07-22-2017, 2:25 AM
Try running it in compatibility mode.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

Kev Williams
07-22-2017, 12:36 PM
yet another reason Bill and Co. will never see one red cent from me. I understand the need to 'move forward', but is it too much to ask to have your new and wonderful Win10 OS load drivers for 4 year old machines? :mad:

Do yourself a favor and find a used Win7 computer. Or get another XP. I'm finally using a 7 regularly, but I still have 5 XP's and a 98 running all day every day, simply because they will all run my office printer, my Quickbooks software and all of my machines. Win 10 will not.

Bryan Moran
07-23-2017, 2:07 PM
Thank you Julian, I will certainly try that.

Bryan Moran
07-23-2017, 2:09 PM
Thank you Kev, I think that is sound advice to locate a working Win 7 machine. I would go to Craigslist for something like that perhaps?
Thanks!

Kev Williams
07-23-2017, 6:55 PM
Just google 'used/rebuilt win7 computer' and you should get every computer shop within 20 miles of you come up- almost all shops will sell you a good working freshly reformatted computer for $100 or less

Dave Sheldrake
07-24-2017, 1:56 AM
The software can be made to run but win 10 won't allow use of the dongle

Jerome Stanek
07-24-2017, 7:51 AM
If you go to the Walmart online and put in laptop you get a drop down that you can choose refurbished and then you can narrow it down to windows 7