PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange Pens (3)

Mike Ramsey
10-27-2005, 8:56 AM
I have a lot to learn about taking digital photos :confused:. I took about 30 pics of these pens and I am not happy with any of them! I picked up a sizeable chunk of Osage Orange which we have always called "Horse Apple" from a felled tree in our local city park. I've only turned a few pens, but I'm reasonably happy with these 3. Sanded to 500, EEE polish to remove any
sanding marks, finished with CA/BLO. Critiques are certainly welcome.

These are from PSI: Designer twist, Slimeline TN with 2006 band, & a plain slimline.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2005, 12:24 PM
The pens are great. The color might show up better if you use a different background, maybe blue.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
10-27-2005, 9:39 PM
Nice pens Mike!
Osage is nice to turn and finish, I hope to find some more sometime soon!

Carole Valentine
10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Mike,
The pens look great, but you need a different background. The red background and the orange of the wood fight with each other. :eek: Try a soft gray or black.

John Hart
10-28-2005, 5:35 AM
Nice work Mike. I've never turned the Osage Orange. Looking forward to it. I'd have to agree that the pics need a different background. Personally, I'd pick Black....maybe with a fern or something else green in there somewhere.

Mike Ramsey
10-28-2005, 8:06 AM
I agree with you all about the background, I tried several different colors
including Blue, Grey, White, Black, heck the whole spectrum!! I have
to school myself in this type of photography. I never thought that
becoming a Turner would force me to become a better Photographer! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the comments, I thought that it would be a lot worse :).

Glenn Hodges
10-28-2005, 1:33 PM
Great looking pens. I wish we had that type of wood down here in South Georgia.

Kurt Aebi
10-28-2005, 1:54 PM
Good Job on those pens, Mike!

I'm not too sure I really like Osage Orange with Gold (Just my taste - these two are real nice looking).

I used the Black Enamel hardware on the set I made. I thought the contrast between the Osage & Black was a nice touch.

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 4:42 PM
Exceptional pens! I have got to get some OO for a bowl and some peens!