PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a chinese 30W MOPA laser

Frank Sandqvist
07-21-2017, 6:07 AM
Hi!

We are thinking about purchasing a chinese MOPA laser.

I've seen a few people on here who own these machines, so if anyone could give us some input that would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to get the 300x300mm model, with 30w. We engrave many small parts, so a large area that we could fit a large jig into would be great.

Is there any great disadvantages to getting the 300x300 lens, as opposed to the smaller 150x150? Is there a visible loss in quality?

Is it worth springing for the JPT M6+ source over the M1+?

Is the lens a consumable, will it wear over time?

John Lifer
07-21-2017, 8:51 AM
I think, at least from my experience with a 20 watt, and from what others say, a 30 watt won't really do 300x300. My 20 has a 100x and a 150x lens. The 100 dos a great job out to 100 and so does the 150. Once beyond the 100mm range the 150 power and hence the performance drops off quickly. A 30w might be effective at 250mm but not really past that. Look at the shape of the lens and you can better understand why.....
Now if I were buying anoyher laser, I'd buy a 150x, 200x and probably a 300x lens for the 30 watt. Or Max 250, depending on other folks comments.

I don't think I'd spring for the M6 unless I really thought I could use it. No lenses are not damaged as far as I can tell or see. Buy every accessory you might want when you get your laser. Shipping is practically zero when added into total weight and cost is much lower. Lenses,glasses, tables and rotaries....

Jacob John
07-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Hi!

We are thinking about purchasing a chinese MOPA laser.

I've seen a few people on here who own these machines, so if anyone could give us some input that would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to get the 300x300mm model, with 30w. We engrave many small parts, so a large area that we could fit a large jig into would be great.

Is there any great disadvantages to getting the 300x300 lens, as opposed to the smaller 150x150? Is there a visible loss in quality?

Is it worth springing for the JPT M6+ source over the M1+?

Is the lens a consumable, will it wear over time?

We really need a single thread as I find fiber lasers to be much more confusing than their CO2 brothers.

SPI, IPG, RAYCUS, MAXPHOTONICS
Mopa or Q Switched

What's crazy to me is looking at the quotes and getting so much contradicting information from the companies, including domestic US ones. I've not seen any consistency on MOPA vs Q Switched on materials, though maybe it's because there simply isn't any to be had. :D

Oh and most here will tell you to definitely go with the 30 watt, as the cost difference with most is minimal.

Tim Bateson
07-21-2017, 10:48 AM
..What's crazy to me is looking at the quotes and getting so much contradicting information from the companies seeking them, including domestic US ones. I've not seen any consistency on MOPA vs Q Switched on materials, though maybe it's because there simply isn't any to be had..

I know what you mean. It would be nice to see a Consumer Report type of side by side comparison, but unless someone has a ton of money to buy each, it isn't going to happen. My new 50w MAXPHOTONICS based system cleared customs a couple days ago. Hope to see it real soon.

Gary Hair
07-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Whether or not a 300x lens will work for you depends a lot on the type of work you are doing and the tolerances you need to maintain. If you are marking anodized aluminum and the exact location of the mark isn't critical then you would do fine at the extents of the 300x lens. On the other hand, if you are deep marking steel at the extents then it's not likely to work with 30 watts. As for positioning - because it's a steered beam, the farther away from dead center below the lens you get, the more critical the lens height is from your workpiece, if you are off height by 1 or 2 mm then the mark could be off by a significant amount. I have parts that need to be marked to within .002" and .5mm difference in lens height will put them out of tolerance - that's why I have a DRO on my Z column and go through a calibration process every few days to ensure it is accurate.

The lens isn't a consumable but, as others have pointed out, the cost to include spares or extras along with your purchase is much less than buying them later. So, I'd probably by an extra lens - just in case! Don't bother with different focal length lenses, you'll likely get it setup for one and never change - that's my experience anyway.

Dave Sheldrake
07-22-2017, 12:20 AM
Watch out for the M^2, fibres of different makes can vary by a HUGE amount.That 30 watt cheap machine may well perform like a 10 watt expensive make.

I'll write up the exact figures and differences when I get back into work later today (I have MOPA, Q-Switched and YAG's)

Frank Sandqvist
07-25-2017, 3:47 AM
Thank you all for the responses. It helps a lot.

It looks like we are going to go for a higher power laser instead of the 30w. Since we are going for the 300x300 it looks like a 60w would be a smarter choice.

@Dave Sheldrake
The figures would be greatly appreciated. :)

Dave Sheldrake
07-25-2017, 4:29 AM
Hold fire Frank....lemme get an explanation up soon as I can (It's been crazy busy here) there are a lot of reasons why going up in power on a cheaper fiber can be false economy

Jacob John
07-31-2017, 9:52 PM
Watch out for the M^2, fibres of different makes can vary by a HUGE amount.That 30 watt cheap machine may well perform like a 10 watt expensive make.

I'll write up the exact figures and differences when I get back into work later today (I have MOPA, Q-Switched and YAG's)

Dave, can you expand on this? The JPT MOPA is offered in two different M versions, but I'm not getting a clear explanation as to the value of going with the higher end version.