PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust bowl

Tom Wilson66
07-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Haven't done any turning in a while, till last week. Then I finish turned this bowl I had rough turned from honey locust last fall. I added a walnut lid and a betel nut knob. The finish is walnut oil. It is about 5 inches in diameter,and the walls are about 3/16 inch thick. Almost half the bowl has a dark stain on it, I don't know what caused it, but I would have liked it to cover the whole bowl. The unstained portion doesn't look as good to me.

Mike Nathal
07-21-2017, 7:51 AM
Nice job. I think you are looking at heartwood (dark) and sapwood (light).

John K Jordan
07-21-2017, 8:09 AM
Nice job. I think you are looking at heartwood (dark) and sapwood (light).

I'm wondering if the stain could be from moisture and/or some fungus. I think the hartwood/sapwood line is typically more sharply defined along a ring boundary.

JKJ

Tom Wilson66
07-21-2017, 11:02 AM
I agree with John, the separation of the heartwood and sapwood will typically be along a growth ring. This meanders through the wood on no particular line.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-21-2017, 1:10 PM
It is heartwood and sapwood, where the heartwood stained the sapwood, wood sat probably for a while, staining like that happens with other woods as well, easier to see in Black Walnut, but also in Honey Locust and some other species.

In the first picture you can see the center bowl that I quickly turned from freshly cut Walnut and then dried it quickly, keeping the sapwood near white, the others had sat for just a few days and shows the staining starting to color the white sapwood, on the Honey Locust pot you can also see the staining that happened in bottom part.

364283 364284 364285

Louis Harvill
07-21-2017, 7:18 PM
Beautiful! as always.

Lamar Wright
07-21-2017, 8:49 PM
Very nice bowls, well done indeed.

Thomas Canfield
07-21-2017, 9:52 PM
I had some Bradford Pear once that had been hit by lightning or something that caused about 1/2 of the trunk to be dead and dark wood versus the lighter live wood. Made for an interesting bowl with light/dark about the middle dividing the bowl. Looking at the endgrain pattern on the light wood, I would suspect that there was something to cause part of the tree to die and have the different color. Does not look like sapwood to me.